Patriots logo help

dirtywater11

I was wondering if anyone can help me with something I've been looking for. I remember reading somewhere a few years back about the Patriots making plans to change away from their Pat Patriot logo back in the 70s or 80s. As the story went, they debuted the new design at halftime during a home game and it was booed so loudly that they scrapped the plans altogether and stuck with their logo until the early 90s when they (stupidly) adopted the flying Elvis look. Does anyone know where I could catch a glimpse of the logo they intended to use? I am just curious what it looked like and how bad it possibly could have been. Thanks.

I've heard that story before - it's been discussed a couple times on the Uni Watch blog. I don't know that the question's ever really been answered, except that it might have been the Captain America-style superhero logo they used on a media guide about that time.

I am 72.3% certain that a shot of the logo on the field was shown on Paul's blog. Damned if I remember when though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm fairly certain the logos have made an appearance here on the boards before. One I remember is almost a proto-Elvis.

This subject comes up almost as often as the preseason Red Wings nameplate, and the Tampa Bay Bucs' practice jersey numerals.

Apparently from the research i've found, in the Mid 80's Michael Chamberlain, a son-in law of the Pats owner, spend 30k designing a new logo, and they had a cheering contest (fan vote) at midfield during halftime of a game, and the fans gave Patriot Pat a standing ovation, and boo'd the other one...

It's mentioned here in this article, including Paul Lukas mentioning they haven't been able to find anything visually of the logo: http://www.slate.com/id/2094432/

But it apparently has alot of validity, mentioned here:

http://www.patsfantalk.com/viewtopic.php?p=6087

Here: http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?act=Print&client=printer&f=54&t=13975

If they cleaned up the first logo, giving it definition, as you said, it would be a real winner. Got the six stars for the six New England states and everything. Nevertheless, I still love the tricorner hat logo and the "Boston Patriots" name most of all.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I would take some sort of modernized Pat logo. I dig the AFL unis they wore this year, but they are dated.

Their current look is just so bland and generic though. I don't hate it, it's not a mess like Cincy of Buffalo, but nothing stands out about it either.

Maybe they could emphasize red at home and blue on the road.

I think the absence of Red as a primary color (i.e. jersey color) is really a downfall for the Pat's uniform set. For years people have begged for a red alternate, and the AFL reds worn this year were gorgeous. I think a modern version of Pat Patriot would work very well...

Didn't you guys read that SOSH thread that CDixon posted? Pat Patriot and the red jerseys represent the biggest and longest clown college the NFL's ever seen. That's over 30 years of large-scale proctocrania. Say what you will about the winless creamsicle Bucs, but Hugh Culverhouse never went broke and had to live in a press box.

Maybe they could emphasize red at home and blue on the road.

Nothing says "model franchise" like taking design cues from the Washington Nationals.

EDIT: just realized that I responded to CDixon himself. hahahahahahhaha i'm such a tard

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Maybe they could emphasize red at home...

No, no... a thousand times, NO.

Red was the dominant color in the uniforms of the British forces that the patriots of the colonial American militia were fighting against. As a result, it never made any sense for the New England Patriots' uniforms to sport Red as their dominant color. The Pats should stick with Blue as their primary hue.

That said, I'd love to see what a competent graphic designer could do about giving Pat Patriot a modern update, a la what has been done for the Miami Dolphins, Seattle Seahawks, Arizona Cardinals, etc.

That said, I'd love to see what a competent graphic designer could do about giving Pat Patriot a modern update, a la what has been done for the Miami Dolphins, Seattle Seahawks, Arizona Cardinals, etc.

I agree, it could be interesting. But the "Pat Patriot" logo never looked all that bad in the first place.

I remember watching an Oilers-Pats game on television in the 1970s when the new logo was suggested and, if I remember correctly, the proposed logo had been painted into the end zone. I remember the broadcasters talking about how Patriot fans hated it and they panned to a shot of the logo.

FsQiF2W.png

I'm not saying I am that specific competent designer, but this is exactly what is on my short list of projects.

Red was the dominant color in the uniforms of the British forces that the patriots of the colonial American militia were fighting against. As a result, it never made any sense for the New England Patriots' uniforms to sport Red as their dominant color. The Pats should stick with Blue as their primary hue.

Dear God, not this again...

Archived