Nets' 2 year layover in Newark

Waffles

New Jersey Nets nearing move to Newark, will play in Prudential Center until move to Brooklyn

While they are still on schedule to move to Brooklyn at some point in 2012, the Nets likely will be playing in Newark the next two seasons after reaching a preliminary lease agreement with the Devils to play their home games at the Prudential Center, according to a source familiar with the team's situation.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/2010/02/02/2010-02-02_netting_newark.html#ixzz0eQhOVJD4

For all its problems, Newark is a much better spot for this team than the Meadowlands.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Three years late, Hundreds of millions of dollars short.

...and they're STILL strying to push this Brooklyn thing. The Nets are a bigger joke now, completely as a franchise, then they were in the 1990's, and the had Derrick Coleman and faded uniforms...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Interesting. I know the state and the Devils (duh) have both advocated demolishing the old Meadowlands arena once the Nets leave (though I think it should be imploded with all the Nets inside), since it's not really going to hold enough events to justify the operating costs, and what few events it does hold could be held in Newark instead. It'll be the least-missed arena ever when the wreckig ball finally hits it. Place played host to post-Darkness Bruce Springsteen and the neutral zone trap, two of the worst things in the history of things.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Interesting. I know the state and the Devils (duh) have both advocated demolishing the old Meadowlands arena once the Nets leave (though I think it should be imploded with all the Nets inside), since it's not really going to hold enough events to justify the operating costs, and what few events it does hold could be held in Newark instead. It'll be the least-missed arena ever when the wreckig ball finally hits it. Place played host to post-Darkness Bruce Springsteen and the neutral zone trap, two of the worst things in the history of things.

Actually (though I've never been for anything not hockey/basketball except for Sesame Street on Ice circa 1988 or so) supposedly the IZOD Center has great acoustics for concerts. There is talk that most musical acts would be held there while the sporting events would mostly be at the Prudential Center...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Actually (though I've never been for anything not hockey/basketball except for Sesame Street on Ice circa 1988 or so) supposedly the IZOD Center has great acoustics for concerts. There is talk that most musical acts would be held there while the sporting events would mostly be at the Prudential Center...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

The Nets need a new home, but the IZOD center can be used for concerts. The old home for the Phoenix Suns, Arizona Veterans Memorial Coliseum, houses concerts during the Arizona State Fair.

I noticed the other night when I watched the Clippers-Nets telecast last week, that they closed off a couple of sections in the upper level. I know Izod seated at least 19,000-20,000 for basketball, but the official capacity is in the neighborhood of 18,000-plus. The Nets should have made the move as soon as Prudential opened, and of course, I realize that they were hoping that Barclays Center was going to open a hell of a lot sooner. Maybe the new ownership might actually cut their losses and make the move to Newark permanent. It's too much red-tape going on in Brooklyn to ever get that place built, if at all.

It's too much red-tape going on in Brooklyn to ever get that place built, if at all.

You'd think so following the out-of-town papers, but although the plan is behind schedule it is continuing to move forward. It's cleared every hurdle so far, and looks like it's survived the worst of the economy.

Never fear, it'll happen.

<--- thinks Jay-Z should ask Bud Adams how it works out when you tease a city for two years knowing full well the team will eventually settle in a rival market.

Believe it or not, Nassau Coliseum would be a better option here. It may not be shiny and new like the Prudental Center, but at least they'd be able to establish themselves with people who might actually be willing to drive to Brooklyn once everything is finalized.

There's no way the New Jersey state government would waive the Nets' penalty for breaking the Izod Center contract to allow them to move to Long Island. And it sounds to me like the Nets wouldn't - and won't - leave Izod if they have to pay up.

I don't know the particulars, but with all the money they'll probably lose in Newark, it may end up being worth it in the long run.

Of course, they may have trouble drawing fans at the Nassau Colisum on the basis that they'd be asking fans to go to the Nassau Coliseum, so maybe it's a wash :D

I don't know the particulars, but with all the money they'll probably lose in Newark, it may end up being worth it in the long run.

Of course, they may have trouble drawing fans at the Nassau Colisum on the basis that they'd be asking fans to go to the Nassau Coliseum, so maybe it's a wash :D

They dont call it the Nassau Mausoleum for no reason.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Nassau's even crappier than the Meadowlands, and the Meadowlands is really crappy. It would, however, realize my dream of calling them the New York Nets again, so at least there's that.

"It would be bad because Nets fans don't live on Long Island!", you say. My retort is that they don't seem to live in North Jersey either.

I don't think they live in North America.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• 2 weeks later...

Nassau's even crappier than the Meadowlands, and the Meadowlands is really crappy. It would, however, realize my dream of calling them the New York Nets again, so at least there's that.

"It would be bad because Nets fans don't live on Long Island!", you say. My retort is that they don't seem to live in North Jersey either.

Nassau is closer to the ultimate fan base in Brooklyn though. Brooklyn in a car ride or LIRR trip from the Coliseum. Brooklyn fans might go there. Brokklyn fans aren't paying to trek to NJ whether it be Exit 16W or Hoboken.

Plus, what would make the most sense would be for Charles Wang and the Russian guy who owns the Nets to team up and throw their weight around a little - Hempstead or Brooklyn might move faster if it means getting 2 professional (if 4-48 is professional) tennants rather than just 1.

R

Archived