Nets' 2 year layover in Newark

Waffles

Trying to think of what else besides the Nets the 'Clay (copyright that, I want a quarter every time a Brooklynite says that) will be home to...

1. Hockey - Maybe it could be future home of the Isles...Or then again, it coud also be home to an AHL affiliate of one of the NYC teams.

2. Arena football - If any new ownership group ever comes forward (they'd get to be the New York Dragons BTW), I could definitely see this working...

But I could see a more likely scenario...Let's play "Which college team/conference wants to use the 'Clay?"

Conference Tournaments Which Could Barclays:

Atlantic 10: Boardwalk Hall is getting pretty old

Big East: Would they want to leave MSG?

Metro Atlantic: Siena wins it every year, time for a change

Northeast: If they ever want to go neutral-site...LIU-Brooklyn is actually in arena territory

Overall, if this is just a one-tenant place, sounds like a waste...however, I trust that more folks will be found for this!

bYhYmxh.png

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How bad is Nassau really? Is it just dated, or is it actually in some state of disrepair? I know it's small and cramped, but I didn't think it was falling apart or anything.

I have no idea. My comment was 83% facetious.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 Quotes from NetsDaily.com

In an interview with WFAN, Ratner said that Prokhorov has told him "we will win an NBA championship." The Nets owner added that he hopes Prokhorov will keep Rod Thorn as president of basketball operations and said that while the arena could accomodate hockey, it's unlikely the Islanders will join the Nets at Barclays Center.

Sports Business Journal notes that the arena bowl is one of the tightest in the NBA, with 85 percent of lower-bowl seats along the sidelines and corners, increasing to 95 percent in the upper deck. The words, "Brooklyn Nets" are emblazoned at either end of the court. Yormark has previously said the arena could accommodate hockey, a notion supported by the rendering for a concert layout.

Also, Nets have said they will team up with IMG Colleges marketing firm to bring college basketball and hockey games to the arena. A number of NCAA teams are represtented by IMG Colleges

How bad is Nassau really? Is it just dated, or is it actually in some state of disrepair? I know it's small and cramped, but I didn't think it was falling apart or anything.

It's not like you're going to have crumbling concrete or pipes bursting all over the place. It's fine from a purely structural and functional standpoint, at least I haven't heard anything to the contrary.

That being said, it's a piece of crap arena by modern standards and is woefully outdated. The fact that the Isles haven't been relevant in 20 years doesn't help either...if they were winning it wouldn't be as big a deal of course.

There's a reason people refer to it as "the Mausoleum" though...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

2 Quotes from NetsDaily.com

In an interview with WFAN, Ratner said that Prokhorov has told him "we will win an NBA championship." The Nets owner added that he hopes Prokhorov will keep Rod Thorn as president of basketball operations and said that while the arena could accomodate hockey, it's unlikely the Islanders will join the Nets at Barclays Center.

Sports Business Journal notes that the arena bowl is one of the tightest in the NBA, with 85 percent of lower-bowl seats along the sidelines and corners, increasing to 95 percent in the upper deck. The words, "Brooklyn Nets" are emblazoned at either end of the court. Yormark has previously said the arena could accommodate hockey, a notion supported by the rendering for a concert layout.

Also, Nets have said they will team up with IMG Colleges marketing firm to bring college basketball and hockey games to the arena. A number of NCAA teams are represtented by IMG Colleges

Well, with the rumor of the Rangers/Hartford affiliate possibly ending, this could be a possibilty, this would be much closer, but its just a guess

baltimoreravens.png

For what it's worth, soon-to-be-former Nets owner Bruce Ratner said they'd be the Brooklyn Nets at the groundbreaking yesterday [source] and the recently released stadium renderings show Brooklyn Nets along the baselines:

barclays_interior_bball_400.jpg

Then again, who knows what Mikhail Prokhorov will do.

So this will be a basketball-only arena? Does that make a ton of sense?

There are three other major venues in the metro area that have ice rinks.

There can't be that much of a demand for figure skating shows that the three other arenas couldn't host.

Four hockey teams in Greater New York is really asking for it.

Which chapter in Only the Goddamned NHL is this?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Given Cablevision's clout in this league, the next one.

The Only the Goddamned NHL gimmick might as well be a thread at this point. There's no dearth of anecdotes.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's not like you're going to have crumbling concrete or pipes bursting all over the place. It's fine from a purely structural and functional standpoint, at least I haven't heard anything to the contrary.

That being said, it's a piece of crap arena by modern standards and is woefully outdated. The fact that the Isles haven't been relevant in 20 years doesn't help either...if they were winning it wouldn't be as big a deal of course.

There's a reason people refer to it as "the Mausoleum" though...

The stadium is fine, it's just old compared to stadiums. It is newer than most hospitals, schools and public buildings though. The problem is that the owner wants a new facility with more luxury boxes, and wants the right to buy land surrounding the stadium for a below than market price so that he can subsidize his primary business - real estate development.

Poor ownership = a bad team = empty seats.

Owners act like fans should be dropping $100 a game to see a bad team and THEN they will be able to improve the team.

Archived