Brazil Olympics: 2016

raysox

Hey guys. I've always wanted to do a concept for the Brazil Olympics for 2016, before anyone else. I finally had a lead on a sketch, and brought it to life. Olympic logos are mostly abstract, and mine's no different. It's 3 lines in the shape of Brazil. The Olympic rings are in the big green stripe. I put the logos and scripts on different colours, for examples. I added a logo of Christ the Redeemer, as an alternate/unused.

2016.png

I might do some more work on this if I get an idea. But can I have comments, por favor?

I like the primary logo a lot, but the Olympic Rings look weird at an angle like that. I would try putting them over, under, on next to(in the lower left negative space left by the Brazil shape) the logo the normal horizontal way.

Also, I think the wordmark should be "Rio de Janeiro 2016" or "Rio 2016", not "Brazil 2016"

One more note, I don't know if the Christ the Redeemer alternate logo would fly. You'd think the Olympics would want to be inclusive to everyone, no?

I like the primary logo a lot, but the Olympic Rings look weird at an angle like that. I would try putting them over, under, on next to(in the lower left negative space left by the Brazil shape) the logo the normal horizontal way.

Also, I think the wordmark should be "Rio de Janeiro 2016" or "Rio 2016", not "Brazil 2016"

One more note, I don't know if the Christ the Redeemer alternate logo would fly. You'd think the Olympics would want to be inclusive to everyone, no?

Ah! You know what? I didn't even think of making it Rio. I must've been thinking naming it like the World Cup. I'll fix that after a few more comments.

EDIT

Hows this?

2016a.png

I like the stripes idea, but I think you need more interaction between the stripes and the rings. Maybe have the bottom point of the stripes coming out of some of the rings.

Also I don'tthink that word mark is dynamic or fluid enough to work with that stripe design. Try a different font.

Congrats on being the first to try this though!

They're really great and well designed, but you really should edit them to "Rio de Janeiro 2016", because Olympics are hosted by a city (and of course the home country put everything to it, but it's given to a city) and no nicknames like "Rio", because that would be like if Pittsburgh host the Olympics it would be "Steel City 20xx" or "Iron City 20xx".

They're really great and well designed, but you really should edit them to "Rio de Janeiro 2016", because Olympics are hosted by a city (and of course the home country put everything to it, but it's given to a city) and no nicknames like "Rio", because that would be like if Pittsburgh host the Olympics it would be "Steel City 20xx" or "Iron City 20xx".

I disagree, I like just using Rio. Its more iconic. "Road to Rio" (I almost guarantee that ends up on a magazine or commercial or something). As for your comparison:

Rio : Rio de Janeiro :: Vegas : Las Vegas

Steel City : Pittsburgh :: Sin City : Las Vegas.

Great logo, RaySox. I just have one nitpicky criticism. I don't like the point where the green ends on left side. The stroke gets all small and pointy. I'd move the white line up just a tad so that the end of that block of green comes to cleaner break (like the blue area below it.) Just move it a tiny smidge.

I think it looks nice but I don't get the significance of the three stripes. it would be nice if the resembled something about the region... like maybe a rain forest-esqe firn, the aquaduct, mountains, beaches.... if you look at the Sidney logo it has a similar idea -- three stripes in the shape of something (in that case a runner) but they used a boomerang and the opera house roof in the stripes... in ur case, the overall shape is nice, but the three stripes that make it up don't really mean anything.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Well, it started as a design, but I was somehow trying to think of something symbolic about them. Then I looked at it, and noticed the green looks like the mountains in Rio. I switched the yellow in blue, so it looks like Mountans-Beach-Ocean.

2016c.png

Also tried to make a custom 2.

you should reverse the colors if you want them to represent mountains, beach, ocean. and I guess change the thickness so that the green can still be the dominate color.

It already does, ur confused because the water is on the west coast when in reality its on the east. I don't think its really that big of a deal though.

you should reverse the colors if you want them to represent mountains, beach, ocean. and I guess change the thickness so that the green can still be the dominate color.

It already does, ur confused because the water is on the west coast when in reality its on the east. I don't think its really that big of a deal though.

no water is on brazils east coast.... On the west of South America is Peru, Ecuador, Chile and Colombia....

no water is on brazils east coast.... On the west of South America is Peru, Ecuador, Chile and Colombia....

I know. On the logo though the water is on the west coast. The blue is the water, yellow is sand, and green is mountains. You're saying he should reverse the colors so that the blue represents the water but it already does. It just looks backwards because in the logo the water is on the left (west) side.

However, In thinking about this it might work better if the mountains were in green and on the bottom and then making a little depth to the logo... sorta like this (terrible rough sketch) This way you have what you are looking to represent, keep the shape of Brazil, and have it geographically correct with the water on the east coast.

brazil.jpg

I know. On the logo though the water is on the west coast. The blue is the water, yellow is sand, and green is mountains. You're saying he should reverse the colors so that the blue represents the water but it already does. It just looks backwards because in the logo the water is on the left (west) side.

However, In thinking about this it might work better if the mountains were in green and on the bottom and then making a little depth to the logo... sorta like this (terrible rough sketch) This way you have what you are looking to represent, keep the shape of Brazil, and have it geographically correct with the water on the east coast.

brazil.jpg

I like it better the way he has it. It would be a view of Rio from the north looking south, and in that view the water would be on the left.

As for the logo overall, I like the latest update. I would prefer just "Rio" as others have noted.

To make the rings and Brazil shape more unified into one logo I would try something like the recent World Cup, Confederations Cup and Club World Cup logos. Do a box(or some other shape), with the rings at the bottom enclosing the Brazil shape and put "Rio 2016" underneath the box.

Archived