"America's Game" on NFL Network -- Saints

totc

I really like the "America's Game" series of hour-long documentaries. I think the story of the Saints is going to be awe-inspiring.

My prediction as to who's going to be the featured "talking heads":

Tom Benson (owner)

Drew Brees (quarterback)

John Vilma (linebacker)

Sean Payton (head coach)

Only two of the documentaries that had four voices (1995 Cowboys and 1970 Colts), and this documentary begs for four voices. You've got to have the tendrils of the 42-year history of the team (the Aints, etc.), Drew Brees as a castoff from the Chargers, John Vilma's relatives in Haiti, Hurricane Katrina, and Sean Payton's onside kick to begin the second half.

I'd be willing to venture that there's enough story in this documentary to run 58 minutes rather than 46 -- cutting all of the commercials from the broadcast.

Thoughts?

Brees and Payton are givens I think. Vilma would be a good call. I'd put Garret Hartley in as well myself, I think his FG kicking was an important part of the game. I would personally limit the contextual stuff on Katrina and Haiti and the Aints and get to the season and onto the game quickly. (It is after all about 'America's GAME'.) But I wonder if this Superbowl win isn't going to be the easiest to mythologize about for some time mind!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Drew Brees

Tracy Porter

Pierre Thomas

Sean Peyton

If there are only three knock out either Porter or Thomas.

Narrator: James Carville :P

Carville still may not carry enough star power. The obvious is Harry Connick, Jr, but Wynton Marsalis could be in the running. Two longshots: Brad Pitt or Ellen DeGeneres

Sharper, Brees, Payton. Narrator: James Carville (they'll want the accent)

Bingo. They usually take guys that are good story-tellers and have active memories as well as being large parts of the team's success. I can't stand Mercury Morris, but he was great in the 73 Dolphins' story. Darren Sharper was the leader of the defensive backfield and their ability to create turnovers was a huge part of the Saints success. Brees and coach Payton are obvious choices, but I don't know about James Carville. I'd rather they get a professional actor to narrate.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• 6 months later...

They're starting to run promos.

Two of the talking heads are Sean Payton and Drew Brees. The narrator is going to be Brad Pitt.

Debut: Sept. 8 on NFL Network.

I can hear the music now ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVn1Pwzplnk

The 3rd speaker is Jonathan Vilma. From nola.com:

===

An NFL Films production, ?America?s Game? recounts the Saints? post-Katrina ascent through the entwined tales of Sean Payton, Jonathan Vilma and Drew Brees.

===

Full Story

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure BlueSky enjoyed that. I on the other hand, expected more from NFL Films, as while there was a lot to cover when it came to the 2009 Saints, it did seem rushed and very cut down in parts. Plus, I liked Jonathan Vilma, but without any reference to Haiti/comparing that to Hurricane Katrina (perhaps inner-motivation during Super Bowl XLIV to represent his people), Jeremy Shockey's story of rebirth when becoming a Saint probably would've fit more. I know Jonathan Vilma was important to their defense throughout that championship season, but Darren Sharper and Tracy Porter would fit in that role, just as much, if not more so.

However, despite getting wiped out from the record books at USC, at least Reggie Bush was featured in two of their three playoff games as key to their championship run. Plus, during the NFC Championship celebration, that was a great hit he put on Gumbo... excellent form. That dog needs to put his head on a swivel.

Drew Brees

Tracy Porter

Pierre Thomas

Sean Peyton

If there are only three knock out either Porter or Thomas.

Narrator: James Carville :P

Carville still may not carry enough star power. The obvious is Harry Connick, Jr, but Wynton Marsalis could be in the running. Two longshots: Brad Pitt or Ellen DeGeneres

While I understand in which the NFL wants the most popular bayou-based Hollywood star, I still think that Harry Connick,Jr. would have been the better voice. I am somewhat upset that I even placed him as a long shot in February.

I've only watched parts of it so far. Most of the SB stuff at the end was a disappointment, just footage taken straight from other NFL Films programs. Couldn't agree more that Harry Connick Jr. would have been a better and more deserving narrator.

BTW, some trivia for you...longtime residents of New Orleans were familiar with the name Harry Connick long before his son came on the scene. The elder Connick was the Orleans Parish District Attorney for many years.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived