High School basketball team in Colorado wear throwbacks with short-shorts

roxfan00

Love it...although I'm curious about th expense involved.

Also, on some of the shots I still wouldn't call those "short shorts." On some views they do look too short, but on others...those are shorts. Not like the long, floppy high-waters considered basketball shorts today.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

Looks like they even went all out with the belts on the shorts.

786458804_sVvm4-M.jpg

786458872_ZE8k5-M.jpg

786458713_uvYfb-M.jpg

REAL basketball shorts had around a 3" inseam and were worn very tight around the legs. They also had a button fly (like baseball pants) and either full, separate belts or just a short, front "tab belt" that was usually a contrasting color. Basketball pants also featured quilted hip pads. And remember, until Stretch Nylon and Polyester fabrics became popular in the late 1960s b-ball shorts were made out of woven fabrics like Tackle Twill (yes, same fabric as lettering Tackle Twill without the adhesive backing), Cramerton's Sanforized Army Twill, Nylon or Rayon Satin. These shorts had NO stretch. A lot of players wore the smallest size possible in those days. It was a "macho" thing. In 1959 you could buy a complete basketball uniform from Southern Athletic (now Russell Athletic) including a Nylon/Durene jersey with two-color tackle twill lettering and numbers and a pair of trimmed, tackle twill game shorts w/full belt for $28.95 list price. We would sell that uniform to a high school for $22.50. And you know what is the great thing about those uniforms?

They were all proudly custom-made in the United States of America by real Americans using real American-made or grown fabrics. Unfortunately we'll never see those days again.

those shorts belong on women's behinds, not men

HA...agreed.

What are they honoring with the throwbacks? Class of '78 state playoff appearance or something?

Seems odd for a H.S. team to do...if honoring an old championship, isn't it just saying, "the last 30 classes haven't done squat on the court"? :D

87Redskins.png

johnson.jpg

Off-topic, but check the mustache on the Buckeye in the back.

I'm not a fan of OSU at all...but that's a legendary 'stache.

And I fully support any and all logical throwbacks. Devil Rays throwing back to University of Tampa? I know they had some reason cobbled together...but it just didn't make sense to me. But high schools can throw back all they want. My only concern is who's paying for it.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

those shorts belong on women's behinds, not men

HA...agreed.

What are they honoring with the throwbacks? Class of '78 state playoff appearance or something?

Seems odd for a H.S. team to do...if honoring an old championship, isn't it just saying, "the last 30 classes haven't done squat on the court"? :D

1978!!! I don't think so; I was class of 1980 and our teams the entire time I was in HS wore uniforms very similar to Magic's Michigan State uni:

johnson.jpg

Those HS throwbacks look more like they were from the late 1950s/early 1960s.

REAL basketball shorts had around a 3" inseam and were worn very tight around the legs. These shorts had NO stretch. A lot of players wore the smallest size possible in those days. It was a "macho" thing. In 1959 you could buy a complete basketball uniform from Southern Athletic (now Russell Athletic) including a Nylon/Durene jersey with two-color tackle twill lettering and numbers and a pair of trimmed, tackle twill game shorts w/full belt for $28.95 list price. We would sell that uniform to a high school for $22.50. And you know what is the great thing about those uniforms?

They were all proudly custom-made in the United States of America by real Americans using real American-made or grown fabrics. Unfortunately we'll never see those days again.

Repressed homosexuality and jingoism, together at last.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

REAL basketball shorts had around a 3" inseam and were worn very tight around the legs. These shorts had NO stretch. A lot of players wore the smallest size possible in those days. It was a "macho" thing. In 1959 you could buy a complete basketball uniform from Southern Athletic (now Russell Athletic) including a Nylon/Durene jersey with two-color tackle twill lettering and numbers and a pair of trimmed, tackle twill game shorts w/full belt for $28.95 list price. We would sell that uniform to a high school for $22.50. And you know what is the great thing about those uniforms?

Repressed homosexuality and jingoism, together at last.

Hey Admiral,

I'm just telling you what it was like "back in the day." You'll never understand what it was like unless you were there. And given your age that you show on your profile you must be a very juvenile-behaving "know-it-all." If I was in your Navy I'd lead a mutiny against you.

Archived