"Mark McGwire Highway" no more?

Viper

Not sure which forum this story really belongs in, but...

According to an AP report, on Monday the Missouri State Senate voted unanimously in approval of Senate Bill 841, which includes renaming a six-mile segment of Interstate 70 in St. Louis from ?Mark McGwire Highway? to ?Mark Twain Highway.? The road was selected to commemorate McGwire?s then-record 70 home runs hit during the 1998 season.

CCSLC signature.png

How about just renaming it the Mark McGwire* Highway?

Excellent.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

What the hell took 'em so long?

I believe the key words and your answer are "Senate Bill".

Funny how they're minimizing signage costs by only changing the last name, the "Mark" part of the sign can be re-used.

87Redskins.png

What the hell took 'em so long?

I believe the key words and your answer are "Senate Bill".

Funny how they're minimizing signage costs by only changing the last name, the "Mark" part of the sign can be re-used.

If they wanted to minimise costs, they should keep the McGwire.. . perhaps replace Mark with Dan.

I saw, I came, I left.

Interesting that this should come up just when he's trying to rehabilitate his image with the Cardinals.

Guess not all Missourians are shameless homers, eh?

We are all renamed highways.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

This is exactly why public property shouldn't be dedicated to sports-figures until LONG after they retire. Right now there's an intersection in Green Bay (Favre Pass & Holmgren Way) named for two guys that gave the finger to the city as they left.

I think that's more a matter of Holmgren and Ron Wolf being mature enough not to make a media circus out of the matter (unlike a certain, more recent example). But I consider the fact that he was talking to the Seahawks DURING SUPER BOWL WEEK before they played the Broncos to be hugely disrespectful. The only thing that would've been worse is if he'd pulled a Bob Huggins.

As far as Vince getting his street when he did... it could reasonably be argued that he's the greatest coach in the history of the game. Holmgren's name isn't gonna come up in ANY list and no one outside of the media thinks Brent is the greatest player of all time... and even they're gonna be claiming Peyton Manning is when he (Brent) is finally gone.

What's really amazing is how this stretch of highway started as a two-lane, expanded seemingly overnight into an eight-lane, but in the last few years has somehow reverted to a four-lane.

But we're not here to talk about the past.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

This is exactly why public property shouldn't be dedicated to sports-figures until LONG after they retire. Right now there's an intersection in Green Bay (Favre Pass & Holmgren Way) named for two guys that gave the finger to the city as they left.

And why teams shouldn't retire numbers until years after the players' retirement.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

And why teams shouldn't retire numbers until years after the players' retirement.

Better yet, until after they die. Sports figures are more than capable of tarnishing their images long after they retire. A certain former USC/Buffalo Bills/Pro Football Hall of Fame running back and white Ford Bronco driver comes to mind.

CCSLC signature.png

Better yet, until after they die. Sports figures are more than capable of tarnishing their images long after they retire. A certain former USC/Buffalo Bills/Pro Football Hall of Fame running back and white Ford Bronco driver comes to mind.

A.C. Cowlings???

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Just want to say I can't function with Mac/Jigga/Bucco all having the same avatar. Someone has to switch, but Ponytail Takedown is my personal brand.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Just want to say I can't function with Mac/Jigga/Bucco all having the same avatar. Someone has to switch, but Ponytail Takedown is my personal brand.

When I think "Pimp," I think "Mac The Knife."

Welcome to DrunjFlix

When I think "Pimp," I think "Mac The Knife."

... and his "Tower of Bloom"

I saw, I came, I left.

FWIW, this stretch was apparently named after Mark Twain before the honor went to McGwire anyways. Also the reason it will pass is because it's tucked in with more important things. I don't think the majority of the legislature cares enough either way to make the change on its own. They've in fact rejected making the change on at least one other occasion.

Archived