The 1940 NFL in Color

Gothamite

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well were they actually called "big blue" back then?

Also, it's funny that most of those "old school" uniforms don't have sleeve or pants stripes, yet many "old school" members seem to show contempt for any uniform that has those qualities today.

Well, they don't have piping all over or stupid randomly shaped and placed color panels or little logos on the back below the collar or pointy stripes or black added for the sake of black either. :P

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Well were they actually called "big blue" back then?

Also, it's funny that most of those "old school" uniforms don't have sleeve or pants stripes, yet many "old school" members seem to show contempt for any uniform that has those qualities today.

Well, they don't have piping all over or stupid randomly shaped and placed color panels or little logos on the back below the collar or pointy stripes or black added for the sake of black either. :P

One of my favorite current looks is the now rarely seen Rams uni with the stripeless gold pants.

I don't mind stripeless, I just don't like overly plain.

I'll take stripeless over random butt stripes anyday.

I believe, but am not certain, that the winged helmet was originally a Wilson design. I also believe that Princeton was the first to call out the now-famous pattern with contrasting colors, though many teams wore that particular style of helmet in a solid color both before and after Princeton.

There also came to be several different styles (different companies' own versions) of the winged helmet over the years.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

That O'Brien guy looks like he's pinching a loaf in that shot.

Typical Philly behavior at sporting events.

Excellent! POTD candidate IMO.

Ho-kay. :rolleyes:

Just to drag the conversation out of grade school, I've uploaded a new scan, much bigger than the first.

4458378132_5121325012_o.jpg

No excuse for missing the fine print now. :D

Everyone's pants seem so loose. :therock:

No bicycle shorts either.

Those "realistic" action poses are hilarious. :D

And check out Parker Hall...says he won the passing title by going 106 for 208. Sure was a different game then. 106 completions is three games for some of these guys today.

I love the chance to side-by-side players from then and now.

11.30.jpgcowboys1.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Me, too.

But there's no comparison - those were real men back then. They played both sides of the ball. None of this "five minutes on the field and back to the bench." tongue.gif

Yeah... real white men. When did segregation end in the NFL? I'm guessing not until after these pics were taken.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Relax - I've posted on here long enough that you know what I wasn't taking any shots. "Real white men" just playing off of Gothamite's words while making an observation of a common theme of the photos (and seemingly all player photos from that era - which is why I was asking when segregation in football ended, because I don't know.) Of course I knew Gothamite was being sarcastic with his comment.

I'm in the camp that records and accomplishments made in the "early days" of pro sports can't really be taken seriously because the talent pool was so limited due to either explicit or implicit segregation. Of course, that debate has nothing to do with this thread, but I didn't see harm in asking the question of when that happened..

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Can't be taken seriously? Don't think I can agree with you there. I don't hold the 1952-53 American League pitching stats as somehow suspect because the greatest hitter of all time happened to be in Korea - you can only hold the ballplayers responsible for playing against the competition they did.

We can recognize the greatness of Babe Ruth and Josh Gibson while simultaneously bemoaning the sad fact that they never got to face the same pitchers.

Segregation and football is a much tougher subject to nail down. There were a few black players in the League from the very beginning - Paul Robeson himself played for the Milwaukee Badgers - and there was even a black head coach as early as 1921. But as football grew in prominence, social pressures led to fewer and fewer hirings. A lot of has been attributed to the influence of Redskins owner George Preston Marshall (and just what's with rabidly racist owners in Washington?). While there may not have been the outright and formal ban baseball had, there was a period from 1933 until right around the end of WWII where there were no black players in the NFL.

Yes. If I recall correctly, the Browns' Marion Motley, a hall of fame fullback, was one of the early players to 're'-pave the way for those of African descent, although the Browns began in the AAFC in 1946. Don't recall who the first black player(s) to re-enter the NFL are/were

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Woody Strode and Kenny Washington both signed with the Rams when they moved to Los Angeles in 1946. They were the first of the NFL's second wave (?) of African-American players.

Interestingly, they were both teammates of Jackie Robinson at UCLA.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Which '"old school" members' would those be? :rolleyes:

I think the "Big Blue" nickname only goes back to the 1960s.

Here's another look at Mel Hein in the 40s (not my pic):

1917785065_9cf5a7ac5f_b.jpg

I don't know when this pic was taken, but it looks like whoever colorized it might have gotten the pants wrong.

Its funny how no matter how much you think you know about logos you can always learn something new. I never understand why Michigan's helmet pattern was so unique, but now I get it. They just continued the paint pattern from their old leather helmets even onto to plastic ones. Really interesting fact.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

The question is, was there a functional reason for the "wings" in the front of the helmet? I can kinda see how the stripes were pieces of leather used to strengthen the seams, but the wings? Looks like it was slapped on there for decorative reason. Not that it diminishes its coolness.

The question is, was there a functional reason for the "wings" in the front of the helmet? I can kinda see how the stripes were pieces of leather used to strengthen the seams, but the wings? Looks like it was slapped on there for decorative reason. Not that it diminishes its coolness.

I'm guessing it's padding for the front of the head, similar to how there seems to be extra padding over the ears.

It's where I sit.

Archived