Minneapolis Grizzlies rec softball design

-kj

Thanks, GF.

I could use some more feedback. I could also use some ideas on what a typical sleeve patch size is, as I'm looking to get this done. (Not as a rectangle; the white outline on the 10 would be the border.) I'm thinking 3"x3".

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could use some more feedback. I could also use some ideas on what a typical sleeve patch size is, as I'm looking to get this done. (Not as a rectangle; the white outline on the 10 would be the border.) I'm thinking 3"x3".

No, seriously. This is a concept I'm actually looking to turn into a real thing.

POTD 2013-08-22

• 9 months later...

Well, the thread no one cares about is making a comeback. Nyah.

I'm working on a new jersey design for the team; I'm thinking we might go with fully-sublimated jerseys, which seem to be all the rage these days. I'm generally more of a traditionalist, but this is rec softball we're talking about.

Here's my initial design (and, yes, those are shorts; not sure if we'd get them, but I figured I'd make a design anyway):

grizzlies-14-jersey-1.png

Any thoughts? I'd love to hear 'em. Also, if anyone's had any experience ordering these kinds of jerseys, I'd love to hear recommendations on where to order them.

POTD 2013-08-22

The number font is gold.

I'd give the wordmark more breathing room from its high awkward placement by toning down the size of the bear a notch.

The shorts striping also makes this very bottom heavy. I get that there's a lot going on with the jersey but the distribution of colors is very distracting when you get to the shorts. Perhaps you could scrap the black for dark green as an accent to the lighter nongreen colors to give the overall design a cleaner look.

The premise is defintely there and it's a very fun look, which I guess is the main goal anyway.

Midway.png

Believe it or not, that is dark green (not black).

I see what you're saying about the wordmark being high. I changed a few things up; being lazy, I just saved it in the same file, so it should be updated above.

POTD 2013-08-22

Ok, I'm going to be that guy: Why is it that concepts that might actually get used in real life get so little feedback around here?

POTD 2013-08-22

There seems to be little rhyme or reason as to what gets how much response.

As to my take on your design, I rather like the jersey, but I think that when combined with those shorts, it's too busy. I'd simplify the shorts, and maybe drop the clawmarks off the sleeves.

As a Minneapolite, I think this concept overall works great for this area.

rATMcmK.png

can you post photos of the jerseys you have had made in the past?

Sure thing. Our original jerseys:

484374_3542109625288_1979559486_n.jpg

Our current jerseys:

543658_3337580632191_956980395_n.jpg

Sure looks like the Montana Grizzlies logo.

If you read through the entire thread, you'll see the origins of the design. It's not the Montana logo; that I can assure you.

POTD 2013-08-22

Even though this is softball, they're a little too busy for my liking. I'm not a big fan of the abundance of slash marks, and the front is a little crowded. I would shrink the bear a little or sublimate it, with the orange and white outline in dark green.

And the shorts are WAY busy.

I'm not sure what your point is, and I'm not going to continue to have this argument. Read the thread. Go away.

POTD 2013-08-22

I went back to this and realized it was maybe a bit crazy. So I took some of y'all's advice:

grizzlies-14-jersey-2.png

I made the bear on the jersey a tonal green that matches the slashes behind the name, so it wouldn't stand out so much. I took the slashes off of the back, letting the numbers breathe a bit.

I simplified the shorts, withdrawing to just having the side stripe... but I still wanted something with the dark green on the shorts to tie in with the jersey, so I added the slashes from the jersey front to one leg. I also added the regular logo so it had some identification.

I also added our caps for illustration purposes; we already have those.

POTD 2013-08-22

Wonderful improvement. I still think the shorts are a tad bit to busy. Maybe use your original short design without the orange stirping on the sides. Just use the claws running down it. Then maybe put the logo on the back of the shorts..? (I like the logo, im just not sure where the best place to put it would be)

Moving past the troll...

Would love these shorts without the bear/clawmarks on the front.

Maybe use your original short design without the orange stirping on the sides.

I love it when two people have completely opposite opinions. :D

POTD 2013-08-22

If you read through the entire thread, you'll see the origins of the design. It's not the Montana logo; that I can assure you.

Wait, you don't think it looks EXACTLY like this, but more "modern"? It's identical, sir.

8w2u1hfnzaaqrqh0wy6hmgeh9.png

I'm not sure what your point is, and I'm not going to continue to have this argument. Read the thread. Go away.

I've made my point very clear. It's identical to their logo, which is trademarked. Good luck with that.

0j4w.png

6r2n.png

Moving past the troll...

Would love these shorts without the bear/clawmarks on the front.

Maybe use your original short design without the orange stirping on the sides.

I love it when two people have completely opposite opinions. :D

You both have valid points. Here is the original post by gordie_delini:

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/57386-university-of-montana-grizzlies/

Yes, gordie based his on the Montana Grizzlies and Mockba based his off of gordie's. So Mockba's is more of a nephew than a son to the Montana Grizzly. But overall, teams with trademarked logos don't usually go after issues like this unless it's a team that is at or near their same level: below=high school / above=pro / rec league softball is like below.... under a rock..... or 2.

So be cool and design on!

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

Archived