2010 NHL Awards

NJTank

Ovechkin is exciting, but MVP? Take away all his goals, and the Caps still lead the league in scoring. Does that really fit the definition of Most Valuable Player to his club? The Hart is not for "most talented" or "most exciting" but for the the most valuable player to his team.

Take Ryan Miller or Henrik Sedin out of their team's lineups, and both of their teams probably don't even make the playoffs. Given the quality of his wingers, I'd put Crosby ahead of Ovechkin on the Hart list as well.

In my biased opinion, Jimmy Howard should win the Calder. Without him, the Red Wings probably miss the playoffs.

I also believe that Pavel Datsyuk should easily win the Selke... There isn't a better defensive forward in the game. Here are just two examples of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_u46hb8-rI&NR=1

While most of his plays don't turn into breakaway goals, he has a knack for stealing the puck in the neutral zone. At the start of this video in the post below, you can see him just dismantling Jonathan Toews at center ice.

I also would put Jimmy Howard up for Rookie of the Year. 37 wins, helping Detroit turn things around and make the playoffs, he's done the best of any rookie this season, including the highly hyped Tavares and Hedman.

I too will jump on the 'Ovechkin not for MVP', or however poorly worded that bandwagon is. The Caps all around were a great team this season. Take Ovie away and they were still good enough to make the post season and make some noise.I completely agree with Sedin for MVP, it's about time one of the twins did something, and the Canucks needed it otherwise they wouldn't be considered a playoff team with Roberto's's post-Olympic performance alone.

Ovechkin would finish 4th on my MVP ballot.

Hank Sedin made everyone he played with much much better and in the meantime had the best season ever by a Canuck. Then it would be Crosby, pretty much did it all this season with Malkin taking a step back.

Both Ryan Miller and the Breeze had great season's Bryzgalov can be thanked for most of the on Ice Success for the Coyotes this season, Without him they'd be sunk.

1. H.Sedin

2. Crosby

3. Bryzgalov

4. Ovechkin

5. Miller

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Yeah as much as I like Ovechkin, I'd put Bryzgalov, Miller, and Sedin over him this year.

The Caps were far and away the best team, even without Ovechkin. Hell they scored 7 times I think in 2 of the games he was out.

I'd go

1. Miller

2. Bryzgalov

3. Sedin

4. Ovechkin

5. Crosby

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Ovechkin is exciting, but MVP? Take away all his goals, and the Caps still lead the league in scoring.

Close, but not quite true. Take away his goals, and the Caps would still lead the East in scoring, but not the league.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Alex Ovechkin scored 50 goals and is the best player in the league, he played on the best team and this year he showed he can hit and be a bruiser on the ice instead of just a goal scorer. Coming off two MVPs its hard to vote against that.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Alex Ovechkin scored 50 goals and is the best player in the league

But that's not what the award is for. The Caps went 7-2-1 without Ovechkin this year. Semin and Backstrom are really coming into their own, the Capitals are not a one-guy team anymore. The Penguins minus Crosby and to a much larger extent the Canucks minus Sedin would be pretty bad. That's why Sedin should win.

1zgyd8w.jpg

In my biased opinion, Jimmy Howard should win the Calder. Without him, the Red Wings probably miss the playoffs.

I also believe that Pavel Datsyuk should easily win the Selke... There isn't a better defensive forward in the game.

Super. Got any awards lined up for Kirk Maltby? I forgot the name of the NHL's trophy for "Best Fictitious Injury To Circumvent The Salary Cap."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I also believe that Pavel Datsyuk should easily win the Selke... There isn't a better defensive forward in the game.

Super. Got any awards lined up for Kirk Maltby? I forgot the name of the NHL's trophy for "Best Fictitious Injury To Circumvent The Salary Cap."

Yep. The "Should Have Retired or Been Let Go Two Years Ago." Award.

Goodness, it's not like I'm picking Nick Lidstrom to win the Norris Trophy or Babcock to win the Adams... back off. I chose a rookie goaltender who won 37 out of 61 starts and the two-time returning Selke Winner to repeat due to stats like this:

NHL Takeaway Leaders (2010)

1 Pavel Datsyuk DET 132

2 Ryan Kesler VAN 83

3 Kyle Okposo NYI 78

4 Daniel Alfredsson OTT 76

5 Mark Streit NYI 76

Granted, I'm not advocating for Ovie for Hart, I honestly dont care whether he wins it or not this year, but you guys spit out how many goals we would've scored without him, our record without him. Those are all well and good, but could you honestly predict how the Caps would play if they were without him for the whole year? I wouldnt want to think about it to be sure. Yeah we're still a good team, but Ovie pushes us over the edge not with just his scoring, but his leadership. Honestly I think the team wouldnt be half as good as they are. Thats my 2 cents. Carry on.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Yep. The "Should Have Retired or Been Let Go Two Years Ago." Award.

No, that's the Chris Chelios Memorial Award, which is a piece of splintered hotel furniture.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived