NHL Helmet Colors

Hoops McCann

Does the NHL have a rule requiring white helmets with the white/away unis and colored helmets with the color/home ones? It seems that every team in the NHL follows this guide.

This isn't an issue for international play

USAcanada2010.jpg

or juniors

Spits.jpg

or even american college hockey

FenwayGame.jpg

Any insight? Even looking back into old NHL games, I can't see too many examples...

I would think that contrasting helmet helps the refs out too. I guess it could make things difficult if all the helmets were black. Just a guess.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

There's a drapes / carpet correlation in there somewhere...

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

For some reason... I like that the NHL is one of the only levels to match the helmets. I want to say a couple WHL teams have two sets, but I'm not totally sure. I know a few teams in the AJHL do.

Not a serious thing, but anyone tried playing NHL10 with the Capitals and the bug with their helmets? It's actually hard to play with when they have the opposite helmets!

Interestingly, I don't mind the dark helmets with white uniforms, but white helmets on dark uniforms just looks idiotic...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

It's to help referees sort out various scrums and scraps, I believe. The helmets are the most obvious identifiers when you're at eye level. Major-junior teams probably don't have the budgets for multiple sets of helmets, but NHL teams do (even the cash-bleeding 33% of the league), so why not.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I personally feel that with colored jerseys, the helmet should match the pants.

It didn't look so hot when the Jets tried that

it didn't look so hot here

3rd_jokinen_jovo_1227293895962.jpg

or here either

060505_avs_ducks_vlg10p.widec.jpg

My own personal rule is that the helmet (when wearing the dark jersey) should match the pants, unless the pants are a different and brighter color than the jersey.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Well generally you don't see black sweaters and socks paired with other-colored breezers. It looks silly, especially on the Not The Kings up there.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Ahh, the infamous goal-light helmets. The red was just too bright. Even a matte red would've helped that look a lot.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Interesting that red helmet is a dying breed - only Red Wings, Canes and Coyotes left, I think... and only the Coyotes wear with a non-red shirt.

By the way, my original question had to do with actual NHL uniform rules - whether it's official. I could buy that it helps the referees in a scrum, but it certainly doesn't always help, does it? Just ask Andrew Ference

Ferrence.jpg

Interesting that red helmet is a dying breed - only Red Wings, Canes and Coyotes left, I think... and only the Coyotes wear with a non-red shirt.

Prior to the Winnipeg and Hartford moves, the Wings were the only team with red helmets. Phoenix' helmets now are dark red...

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

it didn't look so hot here

3rd_jokinen_jovo_1227293895962.jpg

or here either

060505_avs_ducks_vlg10p.widec.jpg

My own personal rule is that the helmet (when wearing the dark jersey) should match the pants, unless the pants are a different and brighter color than the jersey.

The Avs have always been strange to me. Why? Because they are the only team in the NHL that use a helmet color that does not use one of the team's primary colors, yet they use black for the pants, gloves, and helmet.

83206133_10.jpg

Again:

First half of the 1995/96 season.

2716873494_54a0fbf4d7_o.png

Also, the Bruins in 95/96 when the introed their yellow alts wore white helmets for awhile. Looked ridonculous.

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

Archived