Is your Mother a prostitute?

NJTank

The manner in which is was asked is irrelevant. It cannot justify the asking of the question. Jeff Ireland is an intelligent enough dude to ask about mom's legal trouble in a wholly inoffensive and less vulgar way.

So which is it? Is the subject off the table entirely, or is it fair game so long as the question itself isn't vulgar?

The subject of mom's legal trouble? It's certainly fair game, hell it's public record. I just have a problem with the question he asked. Obviously, mom has been in some deep doo-doo. Ask about it, for sure. Because it's not hard to see a kid having some issues due to mom being locked up or strung out. My objection is to the offensive and entirely inappropriate question. Ireland also asked Dez if his mom still used drugs, I don't have a problem with that...I'd even ask that, but I don't think Ireland or anyone else under the NFL umbrella has carte blanche do say/ask whatever the hell they want either, even if they're just trying to gauge someone's reaction.

And before anyone even goes there, I'm not screaming racism or bias or whatever. To me, that has NOTHING to do this.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When teams are penalized for their players drawing negative attention to the NFL, the character of players and the people with whom players surround themselves is both relevant and a legitimate area of inquiry.

And convicts, especially drug dealers, lose the benefit of the doubt. Provided that Ireland didn't phrase it something like "your mother turning tricks?", then it's fair game.

When teams are penalized for their players drawing negative attention to the NFL, the character of players and the people with whom players surround themselves is both relevant and a legitimate area of inquiry.

And convicts, especially drug dealers, lose the benefit of the doubt. Provided that Ireland didn't phrase it something like "your mother turning tricks?", then it's fair game.

Duh...

But you can't just say/ask whatever you want, in whatever manner. Simple as that.

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

According to the posted article, Bryant's mother hasn't been arrested in the past 12 years. 12. I would have to say that 12 years later, asking if his mom is a prostitute is over every line you can imagine and was only asked to incite a reaction due to Bryant's past anger issues. Anger issues that were, from that article, back in high school.

Maybe I'm missing something recent? I just can't find a good reason to ask a question like that for an issue that didn't exist in the first place.

Duh...

But you can't just say/ask whatever you want, in whatever manner. Simple as that.

Then Duh yourself. :P

But I haven't seen a direct quote. We don't know what his manner was.

The manner in which is was asked is irrelevant. It cannot justify the asking of the question. Jeff Ireland is an intelligent enough dude to ask about mom's legal trouble in a wholly inoffensive and less vulgar way.

So which is it? Is the subject off the table entirely, or is it fair game so long as the question itself isn't vulgar?

The subject of mom's legal trouble? It's certainly fair game, hell it's public record. I just have a problem with the question he asked. Obviously, mom has been in some deep doo-doo. Ask about it, for sure. Because it's not hard to see a kid having some issues due to mom being locked up or strung out. My objection is to the offensive and entirely inappropriate question. Ireland also asked Dez if his mom still used drugs, I don't have a problem with that...I'd even ask that, but I don't think Ireland or anyone else under the NFL umbrella has carte blanche do say/ask whatever the hell they want either, even if they're just trying to gauge someone's reaction.

And before anyone even goes there, I'm not screaming racism or bias or whatever. To me, that has NOTHING to do this.

I agree with you, but I'm saying that we don't know the context in which it was asked. It's possible that in the discussion, he mentioned things that would have prompted the question. We don't know. If not, then yeah - that's going too far. Also, I'm not sure that anyone thinks that anyone is looking at this through racially-motivated eyes.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Judging from the fact that Bryant's reaction was "I got mad...really mad" I am guessing the question wasn't germane to the conversation. If for no other reason, he shouldn't have asked the question simply because it's not relevant to anything. Let's say Bryant's mother is in fact a prostitute, what difference does that make to an NFL football team? Let's not forget the backgrounds of some of the people these teams let play for them. If an NFL team is OK with signing players who have criminal records then why the hell would they care if some guy's mom was hooking? Is the sheer hypocrisy of the question itself lost on everyone here? NFL teams and coaches have had no problem with players who beat women, players who were on the scene when a double homicide took place, players who banged teenagers in a hot tub, players who killed animals for kicks, and so on. Now all of a sudden they're concerned about the background of Dez Bryant's mother? Please.

Context or not, Ireland was wrong and Dez Bryant would have been fully justified in kicking the living :censored: out of him for even asking the question.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

The fact that this was first given to Yahoo! Sports as opposed to the Department of Labor/EEOC is a problem. Ireland has basically admitted to asking the question, so it could make the case easier, if filed easier for the DoL/EEOC.

I work for a small company and talk to my HR staff of two multiple times a day. While not telling them I was following this thread/story all day I did try to place some questions on this issue. Their thoughts were:

It is illegal to ask about one's "arrests", but legal to ask about "convictions" to a candidate. As for the relatives of the applicant, since she did not work for the Dolphins (or any NFL team), all questions most likely illegal as it is not "job related" and Ireland should have asked team counsel if it was OK to ask that.

I agree with you, but I'm saying that we don't know the context in which it was asked. It's possible that in the discussion, he mentioned things that would have prompted the question. We don't know. If not, then yeah - that's going too far. Also, I'm not sure that anyone thinks that anyone is looking at this through racially-motivated eyes.

I'm saying the context is completely irrelevant, you cannot ask that, period. I don't give a damn what prompted it, why he said it, in what context, if he was trying to get a rise out of the kid, whatever. You cannot ask that question, period. I guess that is our fundamental disagreement. :P

It's not right...I don't give a damn what the circumstance was. So because Dez Bryant was eligble for the NFL Draft, anyone associated with the NFL can ask him whatever the hell they want? :censored: that. That's garbage.

If he wants their millions, the answer is yes.

-Dan

Nope, still garbarge, sorry. I knew the all-to-common "if they're paying X millions, they can do whatever they want" refrain would be used to easily rationalize this bull:censored:, but it's just not good enough for grown folks with the capacity to think for themselves.

Disagree.

I think the question was probably insulting, but I don't know the manner in which it was asked. I do know that his mother served time for selling drugs, so any potential legal difficulties she may have while he's wearing their uniform is, and ought to be, fair game.

His mothers legal difficulties have nothing to do with his ability to catch a football. And I have to say I'm a little disturbed that so many people who I'd consider to be fairly intelligent seem to think invading someones privacy is justified as long that someone is being paid millions of dollars.

I'm saying the context is completely irrelevant, you cannot ask that, period. I don't give a damn what prompted it, why he said it, in what context, if he was trying to get a rise out of the kid, whatever. You cannot ask that question, period. I guess that is our fundamental disagreement. tongue.gif

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying - when is it OK to ask that question?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm saying the context is completely irrelevant, you cannot ask that, period. I don't give a damn what prompted it, why he said it, in what context, if he was trying to get a rise out of the kid, whatever. You cannot ask that question, period. I guess that is our fundamental disagreement. tongue.gif

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying - when is it OK to ask that question?

It's never okay. What is there not to understand? I'm saying you cannot ask that question, period.

It's never okay. What is there not to understand? I'm saying you cannot ask that question, period.

Are we talkin' 'bout practice?

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

You're going to have to be a little more clear. So you're saying that there are times when it's OK?

You're going to have to be a little more clear. So you're saying that there are times when it's OK?

Sorry, sir. I didn't quite understand your question. I'm going to have to ask you to kiss my ass. :P

I just have to ask, is this really where we are in society... a point where even personal privacy has a price? Lets not BS ourselves either... someone who fit the mold of a Tim Tebow or Ben Roethlisberger (white, suburban, fundie, etc.) would NEVER be asked something like this. And if they were, Jeff Ireland would be universally condemned by anyone with access to a TV camera or keyboard. I have to say everything about this, from the fact that Ireland would even think to ask such a question to the fact that so many are defending him makes my stomach turn.

I just have to ask, is this really where we are in society... a point where even personal privacy has a price? Lets not BS ourselves either... someone who fit the mold of a Tim Tebow or Ben Roethlisberger (white, suburban, fundie, etc.) would NEVER be asked something like this. And if they were, Jeff Ireland would be universally condemned by anyone with access to a TV camera or keyboard. I have to say everything about this, from the fact that Ireland would even think to ask such a question to the fact that so many are defending him makes my stomach turn.

That's a ridiculous statement, and there is absolutely no reason to believe that's true. Roethlisberger is being slaughtered right now for what he did, both locally and nationally, and isn't catching even one single break (and rightly so.) If Tebow's mom had been in jail for drug use, and someone asked him about his mom's past, I can't imagine that the reaction would be any different (except from the extreme religious nuts in Tebow's case, but not from the general white population.)

I don't think that race has even the slightest teeniest bit to do with this other than it's just coincidence that the athlete is black and the interviewer was white. While not necessarily asking if his mom was a prostitute, I think that any competent GM, black or white would have inquired as to his past and his mom's current state. It's not an invasion of privacy - it's due dilligence.

His mothers legal difficulties have nothing to do with his ability to catch a football.

And Ben Roethlisberger's tendency toward strongly suggesting college girls get on his wang has nothing to do with his ability to throw one, and Travis Henry's apparent inability to wear a condom during sex has nothing to do with his ability to run one. The question may have been way off-base in this instance, but such a line of questioning is justified and almost necessary in the current NFL. When you know that a Deadspin-worthy dalliance could end up forcing a player off the field for 6 weeks when Goodell's got one of his raging "protect the shield" hard-ons going, you'd be wise to explore every avenue possible to make sure that the guaranteed money you're handing to a first-round pick isn't being spent on a league-mandated benchwarmer.

Like I said, this particular question strikes me as being at least a step too far. But questioning a potential player's character, including gauging his reaction to disparaging and controversial questions and remarks? Justified and financially sound.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived