The Cornucopia of Possible NBA Logo Changes

Discogod

I always wondered what it would look like if a team went to a really exotic, dark colored court, like cherry- or ebony- or even walnut-colored. Is there a rule that the hardwood has to be a 'light' color?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always wondered what it would look like if a team went to a really exotic, dark colored court, like cherry- or ebony- or even walnut-colored. Is there a rule that the hardwood has to be a 'light' color?

I whipped up a Bucks court concept with a fairly dark floor once.

milwaukeecopy.jpg

I think it would suit them well as kind of a Northwoodsy motif (not that Milwaukee is located there, but perhaps their wood originated there?), but I'm not sure how well it would televise. Probably better than the ones that are bleached to the point of whiteness. Too much glare. I don't know of a rule that the hardwood has to be light, because how do you enforce such a thing? Wood doesn't really have pantone values.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The timberwolves wood is REALLY dark, definitely the darkest ive ever seen on an NBA court.

Its so dark that it makes colored jerseys look lighter.

I remember there was a thread on this site (last season?) about how someone saw the Lakers @ Minnesota and was confused. They thought the Lakers wore lighter purple just for that one game. But it was the dark court that created so much contrast.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

milwaukeecopy.jpg

I think it would suit them well as kind of a Northwoodsy motif (not that Milwaukee is located there, but perhaps their wood originated there?), but I'm not sure how well it would televise. Probably better than the ones that are bleached to the point of whiteness. Too much glare. I don't know of a rule that the hardwood has to be light, because how do you enforce such a thing? Wood doesn't really have pantone values.

That looks pretty cool, except for the 2-tone.

Charlotte Bobcats anyone?

What about charlotte? are they supposed to get a new court or uniforms? I really have no idea what you want

I assume hes talking about the fact that they are supposedly making their secondary logo, their primary (based on rumors). I cant think of anything else they would really be changing considering they just came out with new unis last year. They cant even have an alternate jersey this season.

The Bucks get special dispensation since the two-tone is a callback to the old Mecca court.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

milwaukeecopy.jpg

I love that court concept, very unique. I'd love to see the Bucks try it out, with the Green and Red, I think they're the team that could pull it off.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

milwaukeecopy.jpg

Ah, the two-tone is the best part. A little MECCA throwback. Nice - I'd love to see them adopt it.

Charlotte Bobcats anyone?

What about charlotte? are they supposed to get a new court or uniforms? I really have no idea what you want

I assume hes talking about the fact that they are supposedly making their secondary logo, their primary (based on rumors). I cant think of anything else they would really be changing considering they just came out with new unis last year. They cant even have an alternate jersey this season.

I don't think they'll actually make the secondary the primary, as the NBA has that $500,000 fine to change logos. So they'll probably do what almost every other NBA team does and just use the secondary almost exclusively, making it the de facto primary.

Someone on SLC Dunk claims to have seen the Jazz new court and described it as having the ball and note logo at center court, green in the paint, Navy around out of bounds with yellow lettering along the baselines.

Nope, the full wordmark logo is at center court. There?s been photos of this online for over a month now!

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

I?m assuming the court will look pretty much like this if the paint is green and the out of bounds are navy. The logo at center court is exactly how big it?ll be, just by eyeballing the lines on the photo I posed above.

Utah_Jazz_Court1.jpg

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

I?m assuming the court will look pretty much like this if the paint is green and the out of bounds are navy. The logo at center court is exactly how big it?ll be, just by eyeballing the lines on the photo I posed above.

Utah_Jazz_Court1.jpg

Something about it just looks off, idk what it is. It could just be because there are no other logos (arena, alt) on the court.

Personally, I'd have much rather had just the ball at center court, with the full word mark on the top left and bottom right sides of center court (Or above the key on the left and under the key on the right). I'm not really feeling this design at all.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Archived