The Cornucopia of Possible NBA Logo Changes

Discogod

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New Cavaliers court, released on Cavs.com.

court_1011_1200.jpg

(Thanks to dmhtfld for saving the image before it was taken off the Cavs site.)

Comic Sans is gone, good.

Off balance wordmark is gone, good.

Baseline font matches, good.

Navy very minimal, good.

*Bonus* points for the crossed swords at midcourt, freaking sweetness.

Seriously though, this is a badass court, in my opinion.

(Only complaint is the 'Quicken Loans Arena' wordmark twice, on the same side, which is unchanged compared to last year, I think.)

EDIT: I think that midcourt logo could make a fine primary, just add a small 'CLEVELAND' wordmark above 'CAVALIERS.'

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

court_1011_1200.jpg

Navy very minimal, good.

(Only complaint is the 'Quicken Loans Arena' wordmark twice, on the same side, which is unchanged compared to last year, I think.)

EDIT: I think that midcourt logo could make a fine primary, just add a small 'CLEVELAND' wordmark above 'CAVALIERS.'

Agreed on all counts. I like what appears to be the team slogan, too. I've never seen that in relation to the Cavs, are they pushing that new, this year?

Navy very minimal, good.

Agreed on all counts. I like what appears to be the team slogan, too. I've never seen that in relation to the Cavs, are they pushing that new, this year?

They've actually been using that since atleast 2006, as seen in this wallpaper.

But I agree, definitely something I'm glad to see included.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

court_1011_1200.jpg

Navy very minimal, good.

Placement of the Quicken Loans Arena logo has been weird. For games on local TV, each logo is on the near side of the court (like what is pictured here for the new design). League rules don't allow that for national TV, though, so when the Cavs are on ABC, ESPN or TNT, the logo on the left half of the court gets moved to the side away from the main camera.

As for this new design, I'm not a fan of the key and jump circle all being one color, nor do I like the lines missing from the key that mark the width the college lane (I know they're worthless in the NBA, but it just looks so odd without them).

I love the "All for one..." phrase on the sideline. I'm surprised that the comic sans is gone considering the stir it caused when Dan Gilbert used it in his rip job of LeBron. I even saw t-shirts that said "GILBERT" in comic sans that were a spoof of the "WITNESS" shirts for you-know-who.

All in all, this court isn't horrible, but I really, really liked the last one.

It's still a hideous two-tone stain with no paint on the baselines/sidelines, and now the logos are ugly and the lane is missing lines. Bad court.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I honestly think the Cavaliers should switch to a new logo, as good as it is. The logo will only be a painful reminder of the LeBron years and I don't think Cleveland wants to be reminded constantly.

Me and my friends made a joke that they would switch back to their 1994 logo. :P

faemq40pf86689pq4z8550l5i.gif

bSLCtu2.png

The navy swords are really messing this up. And does the Quicken Loans Arena scripts really need to be there twice...on the same side? Those scripts and the swords are the only things that are navy on that floor...and my eye gets drawn straight to them. All that said, and my disdain for two-toned floors aside, it's aiight.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

court_1011_1200.jpg

That logo looks great there, but it throws off the yellow balance. The yellow trim needs to be thicker in other areas of the court.'

I kind of like getting rid of the key-line lines (whatever they're called. The "college line" if you will.) But I don't like that the top of the circle is the same color as the paint. It'd look better if it was yellow, IMO.

Also, while I'm not a big fan of the staining, it doesn't bother me as much as it does most. As long as it's subtle, and not like Minnesota's.

I'd paint the baselines, but that's not a huge deal. Maybe make them yellow?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I agree with the above. The yellow outline around wordmark is too thick compared to the C-Sword logo inside the 3pt line.

The All for one, One for All has been the team motto for a while, but I think it was added as a direct shot to You Know Who.

The swords bother me. I think that style sword worked great with the old wordmark, because it was very intricate, wavy, fancy etc. But with this new font, it seems the sword style doesn't work. I love the sword as part of the logo, but I think they need to simplify the sword.

As for the key. It kind of reminds me of an older basketball court style, like from the 80s. It just looks weird. I'm not sure it looks bad, but just weird. Only way to describe it. Weird. The only way to tell if it works is how it looks in person and on TV.

Lastly, I always thought this would be a cool center court logo: http://www.cavshistory.com/images/logos/10s-cavs-logo2.png

With the C inside the flag, and then Cavaliers or Cleveland going across Centercourt.

For the most part, i like tradition, but the 2tone court i like a lot. With the Cavs color scheme, it doesn't seem like a big impact like in Minni. It seems like it fits perfectly... and its not an abrupt change like you are playing in a different arena.

Now, I read quick, but didn't see a link, so here is the link for everyone: http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/news/201011_court.html

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Question - is the half circle on the top of the paint considered part of the lane? I mean, is it counted for things like 3-second violations? Or are its only purposes to serve as a free-throw shooting boundary and as the jump-ball circle?

I get the impression that the bottom of the circle is "broken" because it's part of the actual lane, so that means that the top part isn't. If it isn't, then IMO it shouldn't be colored.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

court_1011_1200.jpg

Navy very minimal, good.

I second everything you said, but I?d like to see the two-tone switched where inside the 3 point line is lighter, and the outside is darker.

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

In my opinion, add a wine-colored basketball behind the Cavs' center court logo, and that would make for a pretty nice primary.

Agreed. I'd add a small "Cleveland" over the wordmark as well.

The wordmark may be a little simple, but I prefer it to the current one, and the crossed swords are brilliant.

Archived