Purple/Teal for Purple/Teal sakes

BadSeed84

Ok on uniwatch they have a few black for black sakes articles.

Well one that is definitely true from the 90s was teams having the utlimate 90s colors.....teal or purple (or both!)

Lets take a took at the teams (pros only)

NBA:

Detroit Pistons - Ah yes the pistons, this is mostly tied with the grant hill era, they wore these for 4 seasons before wising up and going back to red and blue. I would say it certainly was a FAIL, and didnt suit them.....BUTTTT the logo was badass, and I wish they kept the recolored version.

Vancouver Grizzlies - ah yes, an expansion 90s team, basically most teams that started in the 90s had purple or teal as their color, grizzlies loved the teal when they started.....and the would use another 90s fad color with it more...black! since then they went with another nba fad in colors....different shades of blue!

Milwaukee Bucks - ah yes purple and green, I actually thought they didnt look bad, and it looked more forestish, but alas they went back to green and red

Charlotte/New Orleans Hornets - The first of the teams that used BOTH as colors, they debuted in 88, so they could be pointed as the start of this trend, and they still use these colors to this day! well of course they modifed the colors and the purple looks more on the blue side. But its still nice to see them using it, plus it looks great for new orleans.

Sacramento Kings - Ah yes in the 90s they felt like switching to 2 of the hottest colors then, purple and black. And it worked really good, and I'd say the colors are much better than blue and red were, only thing is they should have a black alt!

Spurs - Ok they never used it in their uniform, but for their logo they did, and it made no sense, teal, pink and orange, so odd and 90ish, thankfully it never was used on thier uniforms

Toronto Rapters - the other 90s teams, they got the purple end, and really never looked good, both uniforms that used purple looks like a joke, they look better now in red, silver and black

MLB -

NL:

Arizona Diamondbacks - 90s team, AND they used BOTH!!! actually even better they used the ULTIMATE 90s COLOR TRIFECTA!!! Purple, Teal and Black! Hell there was a white, purple, teal and black hate! sadly in 2007 they would go to red, tan and black and while they do look good now, I hope they have some throwback games

Colorado Rockies - 90s team again, and they used black and purple. While I always liked that they used these as colors, they need to bring out the purple a bit more, the hat with the purple bill is great imo, but wheres the purple alt! they need to break that out more then the stupid black vest w/ black sleeves!

Florida Marlins - teal and black, and when they started they loved the teal, and looked great! how a south florida team should look! sadly teal is only used as an outline now, boooo

AL:

Seattle Mariners - best move they even made was when they switched to navy and teal....of course teal needs to come back more! the hat with the teal brim is so great looking, and I know their bp hat has that now but they need to bring it back as an regular hat for home!

Tampa Bay Devil Rays - Ah yes the devils rays, of course they techincally had alot of colors! but purple was one of them, the numbers on their black jersey was purple as well as the brim of one of their hats. sadly within a few years they would go with green, blue and such then they would become just the rays and look like they do now

thats it for mlb, other than the mariners, it was mainly the new teams in the 90s that used them

NFL:

Baltimore Ravens - When the browns went to baltimore, they realized brown was such a 70s color and they wanted to be 90s! so purple, black and gold were their colors, and they look good and still use them now, a bit more emphasis on black but hey a raven is black afterall!

Jacksonville Jaguars - 90s team! so of course they used teal, gold and black, and they looked good for the most part, what they wear now tho doesnt look so good, need to bring back the gold to accent the teal and black!

and thats it! I was thinking of the eagles, but it leans more on the green side...also id say it worked out great for them.

NHL:

Anaheim Mighty Ducks - 90s team based off a 90s disney movie! Colors is Purple and green....that looks to have some teal in it! Thought the color worked well, but they didnt and so they are black with gold and orange or something.

LA Kings - they looked so cool in the 90s....sadly tho this team seems to hijack other team colors, first it was the lakers then it was the raiders, then gretzkey left and they wanted to have the same colors as the other kings in the nba, so black and purple came, they do look good in it! I think they need to have a purple jersey again, also if your gonna have a black ans silver jersey it should be the awesome one from the 90s

New York Islanders - ah yes the gortons look, this didnt last long and the islanders realized they look better in blue and orange, but a teal alt wouldnt be too bad no?

Phoenix Coyotes - relocated 90s team gets purple of course! and they looked pretty crappy theyw ould trade it in for red and tan, which looked better mediocre still...lets hope they go back to winnipeg!

San Jose Sharks - 1990 team, and they looked fantastic in real, of course they still use teal (albeit a bit darker now) and still look great, the sharks just like the hornets was one of the pioneers of teal!

and that wraps it up! sadly there is no examples of a team bring teal or purple back just yet....I would like teal to be like light blue is now in the mlb and make a slight comeback, well the marlins and mariners need to embrace their tealness more!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disagree with you on the LA Kings, Sacramento Kings, and Colorado Rockies. All three make perfect sense to have purple in their looks. For both Kings, purple being the color of royalty. For the Rockies, purple mountains majesty. Therefore I do not see these teams using purple for purple's sake.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Ah yes, you didn't mention the Dolphins. The original team in teal.

And the Coyotes' cosby sweaters used so little purple that it's not even fair to call them a purple team. The colors of the actual jersey were black, green, dark red, and tan. The only purple that showed up anywhere on that uniform was the tiny bit in the logos.

PvO6ZWJ.png

You can thank the Charlotte Hornets and curse them at the same time.

Curse: They pioneered the overabundance of teal and purple in American sports.

Thank: They were the first team to design their uniforms with longer shorts in mind.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

And I don't see anything wrong with using either or both of those colors.

I like Teal and Purple.

I like them too, but there was definitely an overabundance as it was a "trendy" color for professional sports teams in the '90s.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

And I don't see anything wrong with using either or both of those colors.

I like Teal and Purple.

I like them too, but there was definitely an overabundance as it was a "trendy" color for professional sports teams in the '90s.

I think it was a trendy color in general in the 90's. My middle school was built in 1993 and the trim on the walls and the exposed beams in the cafeteria were painted teal.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Thank: They were the first team to design their uniforms with longer shorts in mind.

They were also the first basketball team I can remember that instituted pleats in their shorts.

Let revisit the original Charlotte Hornets' colors, shall we?:

CharlotteHornets_FRC_1997_SOL_SRGB.png

They were also the first basketball team I can remember that instituted pleats in their shorts.

Let revisit the original Charlotte Hornets' colors, shall we?:

Oh my...

It's like the 80's ate an entire bag of Skittles and threw up on the 90's.

rams3_zps8ezugnuj.jpg

Here are the teams in question:

NBA:

Detroit Pistons:

DetroitPistons_FRC_2001_SOL_SRGB.png

Vancouver Grizzlies:

VancouverGrizzlies_FRC_1997_SOL_SRGB.png

Milwaukee Bucks:

MilwaukeeBucks_FRC_2006_SOL_SRGB.png

Charlotte Hornets:

Sacramento Kings:

SacramentoKings_FRC_2002_SOL_SRGB.png

San Antonio Spurs:

SanAntonioSpurs_FRC_2002_SOL_SRGB.png

Toronto Raptors:

TorontoRaptors_FRC_2006_SOL_SRGB.png

NFL:

Baltimore Ravens:

BaltimoreRavens_FRC_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

Jacksonville Jaguars:

JacksonvilleJaguars_FRC_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

Miami Dolphins:

MiamiDolphins_FRC_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

Philadelphia Eagles:

PhiladelphiaEagles_FRC_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

I would definitely include the Eagles - their "Midnight Green" is essentially a Dark Teal.

NHL:

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim:

AnaheimMightyDucks_FRC_2006_SOL_SRGB.png

Los Angeles Kings:

LosAngelesKings_FRC_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

New York Islanders:

NewYorkIslanders_FRC_1998_SOL_SRGB.png

Phoenix Coyotes:

PhoenixCoyotes_FRC_2003_SOL_SRGB.png

San Jose Sharks (original colors):

SanJoseSharks_FRC_1998_SOL_SRGB.png

And how can you forget the original Teal team - the California Golden Seals?:

CaliforniaGoldenSeals_FRC_1976_SOL_SRGB.png

I don't think a lot of these are "purple/teal for purple/teal's sake," either... even by your own descriptions.

The Hornets set the trend, so they can't count.

The Marlins, Rockies and Diamondbacks all certainly had some environmental factors that established those colors as identifiable for their regions, not to mention the Dolphins for Miami and Suns/Rattlers for Phoenix.

The Pistons and Islanders are certainly the biggest offenders here, dropping classic, championship looks to add a trendy color. Not surprisingly, they both reverted.

Never really thought of the Bucks jumping on a purple trend, but I guess so (although they were also abandoning the double-green trend.)

I don't blame expansion teams for trying to establish their own identity. I'm glad the Sharks went with teal and stuck with it. Too bad the Marlins probably won't do the same.

The Hornets' use of teal was one of the things that attracted me to them in the first place (hey, I was 10). Can't really say I'm a fan of it (or purple) on any other team, though.

Also, whilst they weren't the first NBA team to use pinstripes on their unis, the Hornets certainly popularized them, for better or worse.

The Hornets' use of teal was one of the things that attracted me to them in the first place (hey, I was 10). Can't really say I'm a fan of it (or purple) on any other team, though.

Also, whilst they weren't the first NBA team to use pinstripes on their unis, the Hornets certainly popularized them, for better or worse.

I was 25 (!), and I was too.

I'm thinking that they WERE the first NBA team to use pinstripes...who am I forgetting?

Archived