Flames and Penguins set to host Outdoor Games next season.

NEW.ERA

I don't really see a natural rivalry yeah the teams have met in the playoffs back in the day and now where both teams are really good but this is a Crosby-Ovechkin thing not a Penguin-Capital thing.

This has to be the biggest force fed rivalry in the NHL if not among all North American sports.

These teams have met in the playoffs 9 times (i believe?), and for as long as I can remember there has been a hatred between the fan bases, at least. Not to mention the proximity of the cities (granted, theyre not that close, but you can get to one from the other in a day). And now that the two (arguably three) best players in the league are split amongst these teams and they're very successful now, the rivalry from the 90s which died down when both teams were dwelling in the basement has sparked up again.

Washington fans hate all of Pittsburgh for years of playoff defeat and invading their arena. Pittsburgh fans hate Ovechkin because... he's Ovechkin.

It's anything but a force-fed rivalry. Its one that's been around for a while.

oBIgzrL.png

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People bitch about how hockey isn't bigger than it is, and how there's so many people that just don't "get it", and then when the league tries to put it's (arguably) biggest stars and (again, arguably) best players on its biggest stage in front of its biggest audience, people bitch.

Hockey Fan - you don't like hockey? Screw you, you're dumb.

Non-Hockey Fan - I just never got in to it, my local team sucks and isn't interesting to watch. I'd love to see some great players.

League - Let's put some great players in an interesting game and show it to as many non-hockey fans as we can.

Hockey Fan - screw you league, you're dumb.

Bottom line - hockey fans think everyone is dumb except them.

:P

(same applies to Soccer fans, sans smiley.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It's arguable that Ovechkin and Crosby are the best players? I don't agree, but I know people love "their" guys, so I'll say there's a hint of truth to that, at least the perception of who are "the best" players. However, it is not arguable, even by the most argumentative mother:censored:ers here (a group of which I consider myself a member) that they aren't the biggest stars. Hell, I would venture to say they are the ONLY stars to the vast majority of the sporting public.

Bottom line, show these mother:censored:ers! All the time.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I don't really see a natural rivalry yeah the teams have met in the playoffs back in the day and now where both teams are really good but this is a Crosby-Ovechkin thing not a Penguin-Capital thing.

This has to be the biggest force fed rivalry in the NHL if not among all North American sports.

These teams have met in the playoffs 9 times (i believe?), and for as long as I can remember there has been a hatred between the fan bases, at least. Not to mention the proximity of the cities (granted, theyre not that close, but you can get to one from the other in a day). And now that the two (arguably three) best players in the league are split amongst these teams and they're very successful now, the rivalry from the 90s which died down when both teams were dwelling in the basement has sparked up again.

Washington fans hate all of Pittsburgh for years of playoff defeat and invading their arena. Pittsburgh fans hate Ovechkin because... he's Ovechkin.

It's anything but a force-fed rivalry. Its one that's been around for a while.

Couldnt have said it better myself. As long as I can remember i've hated Pittsburgh. Long before Crosby/Ovechkin. I mean, I hate Crosby, but I hate him like I hated Lemieux, if he wasnt a Penguin I could probably tolerate him. If Malkin wasnt a Penguin I would love him. Jagr? I hated him as a Pen and a Cap, he's probably my most hated athlete of all time.

My guess is that the NHL used the 2 superstars to "forge" a rivalry which was already there as far as the fans are concerned, and now that both teams are good, it works for them and they'll run it into the ground when everyone starts getting sick of it. Honestly, when the 2 teams play, its always a great game, so why complain? The only reason I dont like them being on NBC/Versus whenever they play is cause I cant stand Doc Emrick, but thats about it.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

It's arguable that Ovechkin and Crosby are the best players? I don't agree, but I know people love "their" guys, so I'll say there's a hint of truth to that, at least the perception of who are "the best" players. However, it is not arguable, even by the most argumentative mother:censored:ers here (a group of which I consider myself a member) that they aren't the biggest stars. Hell, I would venture to say they are the ONLY stars to the vast majority of the sporting public.

Truth be told Jigga, the reaction to this matchup from the hockey fanbase has me thinking you might be onto something about the majority of hockey fans <_<

People bitch about how hockey isn't bigger than it is, and how there's so many people that just don't "get it", and then when the league tries to put it's (arguably) biggest stars and (again, arguably) best players on its biggest stage in front of its biggest audience, people bitch.

You're spot-on here. "Hockey fans" are a lot like indie/hipster music fans in this regard. They so desperately have to show and prove how they are different and thus smarter. "I 'get' hockey, that makes me smarter than the average guy who only appreciates FOOTBALL." "Pff, try to market Crosby and Ovechkin to ME, Buttman? Haha yeah right, every REAL hockey fan knows that they suck and blah blah blah".

1zgyd8w.jpg

You're spot-on here. "Hockey fans" are a lot like indie/hipster music fans in this regard. They so desperately have to show and prove how they are different and thus smarter. "I 'get' hockey, that makes me smarter than the average guy who only appreciates FOOTBALL." "Pff, try to market Crosby and Ovechkin to ME, Buttman? Haha yeah right, every REAL hockey fan knows that they suck and blah blah blah".

:cry: I'm an indie/hipster music fan, who actually missed most of the last two periods of the game last night to go to a sorta indie/hipster concert. Best live performance I've ever seen... and I've seen a lot.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Whom did you see?

http://www.secondcit...me-of-the-brave

This piece here actually equates hockey fans to punk rock fans. There's something to either comparison, I'll admit. I think almost all fans can agree on either the indie or punk analogy, so I don't understand Elwood's scare quotes around "hockey fans."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

of Montreal. Best performance I've ever seen - my mind was blown, and I no longer know who I am or where I'm going. Seeing The National twice next weekend.

Can't really argue the comparison though.

Truth be told Jigga, the reaction to this matchup from the hockey fanbase has me thinking you might be onto something about the majority of hockey fans <_<

I never claimed to be tuned in to the thinking of hockey fans. However, I'm pretty in tune to the thinking of rational, intelligent people. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I never claimed to be tuned in to the thinking of hockey fans. However, I'm pretty in tune to the thinking of rational, intelligent people. :P

Usually I would take issue with that statement, but now? Good lord. Hockey fans are now complaining about the league marketing its two biggest stars. It's insane. Given the NHL's ineptitude over the last few decades I would think they would rejoice when the league did something smart, but I guess not.

As a hockey fan (non-Canadian division), I'd just like to say that I both fully understand and advocate the NHL's marketing of Crosby and Ovechkin to their utmost. Does that mean I'm too smart for this league? And if so, what are my options?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Myself, as a hockey fan, could care less whether the league is popular in the US as long as it makes enough money to keep going. All I want is good hockey, and right now, good hockey in the regular season is between the Caps and the Pens. They have 4 of the top 5 players in the game between them. The highest skilled teams make for the best hockey to be watched. Frankly, thats all I care about.

"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

Myself, as a hockey fan, could care less whether the league is popular in the US as long as it makes enough money to keep going. All I want is good hockey, and right now, good hockey in the regular season is between the Caps and the Pens. They have 4 of the top 5 players in the game between them. The highest skilled teams make for the best hockey to be watched. Frankly, thats all I care about.

Ok, I'll bite.

Crosby and Ovechkin are givens. Malkin is a possibility. Who's that 4th player?

It sure as hell isn't Green, Semin, Backstrom, Fleury, or J. Staal.

Ok, I'll bite.

I contend Backstrom is a top 5 player in the league. If he isnt (and im blinded by homerism, which is definitely possible), he is top 7 or 8.

I'm no Caps fan but Backstrom definitely is right up there among the top guys, it kills me when people say Ovechkin is better than Crosby because "he doesn't have anyone to play with". They are both supremely talented and are amazing together, something Crosby only had for the brief period that Hossa was in Pittsburgh.

1zgyd8w.jpg

That was the old argument Elwood. Back in his rookie/soph year, his center was Dainus Zubrus. That argument is no more cause the Caps have a young and talented cast as anyone in the league. They just gotta put it all together and they will.

That being said, right now, Pitts is the stronger team cause they are stronger down the middle. Once Malkin learns how to win faceoffs, they'll be just a bit dangerous. (that was tongue in cheek for anyone not playing along)

Ok, I'll bite.

I contend Backstrom is a top 5 player in the league. If he isnt (and im blinded by homerism, which is definitely possible), he is top 7 or 8.

Backstrom is a year or two away from being included in the Ovechkin/Crosby/Malkin discussions as he has rapidly ascended into the #1 Center position for the Capitals, yet, in order for him to be elevated to their levels, he'll need to continue to produce, be efficient on the faceoffs, and pick up the slack when his teammates have an off night.

Ok, I'll bite.

Backstrom is a year or two away from being included in the Ovechkin/Crosby/Malkin discussions as he has rapidly ascended into the #1 Center position for the Capitals, yet, in order for him to be elevated to their levels, he'll need to continue to produce, be efficient on the faceoffs, and pick up the slack when his teammates have an off night.

I've seen him do that multiple occasions since he's come into the league. I do want to see how he plays now that he has gotten his payday, but I dont think we'll see a drop off.

Archived