Flames and Penguins set to host Outdoor Games next season.

NEW.ERA

You won't have an easy path next season.

Does that mean you won't be on my schedule?

We will meet once in the regular season and finally cross paths in the playoffs.

Still can't believe Boston miraculously beat my team.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is freaking awesome. Does it make the rest of the NHL's fanbases despise the penguins even more? Yes. But dammit, its a great reason to be hated. I am SO going to this, and I wont have to sit in a car for hours and stay in a motel overnight for it this time!

The Penguins are despised because of their whiny, yet arrogant fans....yourself included. They're fast approaching the hated fan status that is currently topped by the cities of New York and Boston.

Uhh......ouch? Sorry for whatever pissed you off, buddy. Dunno why this has to get personal, but okay. I thought I had been less whiny this year, just to make you guys happy, but I guess not. I'll just keep my mouth shut and let the experts talk.

And yes, Mindless, Id be more than happy to have a round two. What are the terms this time?

oBIgzrL.png

Just about any young fan of a winning team comes off as arrogant, bitchy, and whiney. Not just the Penguins. If the Flyers pull it off, I'm sure I'll be embarrassed by a good portion of the fan base.

As for the negativity regarding the "celebration of Ovechkin and Crosby" - why the heck should the NHL not promote it's stars? Isn't the marketing of (and in some cases the manufacturing of) star players what helped make the NBA the model league of the '80s and early '90s?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

As far as ratings are concerned, here's hoping that the Ovechkin-Crosby match-up outdraws a combination of the Cotton Bowl Dallas Football Classic, Outback Bowl, Capital One Bowl, and/or the Gator Bowl that afternoon.

Stupid NHL! Be more popular!

Stupid NHL! Stop trying to be popular!

That sums up the complaints in this thread more beautifully than just about anything. Did someone really post, in a negative fashion, that the Crosby-Ovechkin matchup was being done to get ratings? I'll refrain from quoting your post to keep your embarrassment down to a minimum.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

As for the negativity regarding the "celebration of Ovechkin and Crosby" - why the heck should the NHL not promote it's stars? Isn't the marketing of (and in some cases the manufacturing of) star players what helped make the NBA the model league of the '80s and early '90s?

Exactly. This matchup makes perfect sense. It's the one time the majority of American fans actually kind of give a crap about the NHL. Why wouldn't they use the event to promote their two biggest stars?

This is freaking awesome. Does it make the rest of the NHL's fanbases despise the penguins even more? Yes. But dammit, its a great reason to be hated. I am SO going to this, and I wont have to sit in a car for hours and stay in a motel overnight for it this time!

The Penguins are despised because of their whiny, yet arrogant fans....yourself included. They're fast approaching the hated fan status that is currently topped by the cities of New York and Boston.

You forget their whiny yet arrogant superstar captain. But I digress.

Crosby- A Stanley Cup and an Olympic Gold Medal (that he scored the game winning goal to get).

Ovechkin- .......

Plus I'll take arrogant and whiny over arrogant and dirty any day.

As for the Canadian game, Calgary makes sense. The Habs aren't a bad choice either. Using either the Canucks or the Oilers would make the game seem like a Western Canadian event, while using a team from the East makes it a national event. And considering the Habs were the most successful Canadian team this season, it makes sense to feature them in the Eastern slot.

I may watch the Pens and the Caps, may. If the Pens bust out the jerseys from the Stanley Cup era and the Caps bring back the correct Caps jerseys with the stars on them, I'll watch. I just can't watch the game if the Caps are in their crappy current styled jerseys. I just can't get excited about either team. Sure they have great players, but it seems like they are the Yankees and Red Sox of the NHL and that is all that is shown on tv. I'd rather see Colorado vs. New York in Denver than this match up.

I would think an outdoor NHL game in Denver has the potential to be a disaster with the way the weather is there. It's just as likely to be 50 degrees as it is to be in the teens or single digits.

IUe6Hvh.png

That New Year's game will simply be a 3-period celebration of Ovechkin and Crosby, instead of a hockey game.

What is wrong with that, exactly? This game will certainly be in my television watching rotation that day...unless I decide not to watch because ESPN hates hockey and has brainwashed me into hating it, too. :)

Either that or I'll just forget, like most people.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I may watch the Pens and the Caps, may. If the Pens bust out the jerseys from the Stanley Cup era and the Caps bring back the correct Caps jerseys with the stars on them, I'll watch. I just can't watch the game if the Caps are in their crappy current styled jerseys. I just can't get excited about either team. Sure they have great players, but it seems like they are the Yankees and Red Sox of the NHL and that is all that is shown on tv. I'd rather see Colorado vs. New York in Denver than this match up.

I would think an outdoor NHL game in Denver has the potential to be a disaster with the way the weather is there. It's just as likely to be 50 degrees as it is to be in the teens or single digits.

That's why I'm terrified with the event being in February up here in Calgary especially if it's mid February. It can either be really cold or 10+ degrees and everything is melting.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

As far as ratings are concerned, here's hoping that the Ovechkin-Crosby match-up outdraws a combination of the Cotton Bowl Dallas Football Classic, Outback Bowl, Capital One Bowl, and/or the Gator Bowl that afternoon.

It could be three hours of "Crosby and Ovechkin will mail $100 to everyone who calls in (limit 1 per household)" and football would still win the ratings battle, that's just how sports in America is.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Well you guys in the States get your own day to celebrate hockey. February 20th Hockey Day in America which is also the same day the revival of the Heritage Classic will take place (Pending approval)

Hockey Day in Canada is February 12th.

Oilers vs. Sens

Leafs vs. Habs

Flames vs. Canucks

EDIT not Oilers vs. Leafs.

CBC, RDS, and Versus (probably CBC feed) will broadcast the Heritage Classic.

Which doesn't surprise me.

At least Versus is in more American homes then the NHL Network and even that's a stretch.

That's why I'm terrified with the event being in February up here in Calgary especially if it's mid February. It can either be really cold or 10+ degrees and everything is melting.

It was like 40 in Chicago for the Winter Classic and they had to make fake snow for the field. The icemaking technology is such that they can maintain a rink well into the mid-50s, I believe. It's not like they're skating on a pond, though that would make for a neat exhibition game.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived