Flames and Penguins set to host Outdoor Games next season.

NEW.ERA

Link

While outdoor hockey may well be the last thing on fans minds at the moment, the NHL will formally announce the locations of dual Winter Classic games next season.

The Pittsburgh Penguins will host the Washington Capitals at Heinz Field on New Year's Day, while the Montreal Canadiens will travel to Calgary sometime in February to face the Flames at McMahon Stadium.

This will be the second time that a Canadian city has hosted an outdoor game after Edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium set the standard in the inaugural Winter Classic between the Oilers and Canadiens in 2003.

This will also be the second time that the Pittsburgh Penguins have been involved in the Winter Classic after they faced the Buffalo Sabres at Ralph Wilson Stadium in 2008.

I think we all knew that Pittsburgh and Calgary would at least figure into the Outdoor Games and the oppenent for the Pens was automatic but the Flames playing the Habs?

Also made a new thread because the offseason thread is about signings and firings, This will probably have a lot more discussion.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Canucks would the natural choice to play the Flames. Edmonton and Montreal have already appeared in a outdoor game and Toronto and Ottawa are in opposite conferences and do not have the rivalry with the Flames that the Nucks do.

Canucks would the natural choice to play the Flames. Edmonton and Montreal have already appeared in a outdoor game and Toronto and Ottawa are in opposite conferences and do not have the rivalry with the Flames that the Nucks do.

Agreed I would much rather see the Canucks against the Flames then the Habs (Sorry Hab fans) But I'm just glad the outdoor game will be 12 Blocks away from my house.

Aren't they both in the Eastern Conference?

qvxym9f.png
Many thanks to Discrimihater for making the sig.

Opposite from Calgary, I think he means.

Flames/Habs will be a good matchup. Sell it on the two Stanley Cup matches from the '80s. The Oilers would be the ideal adversary but they're not very good right now.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This is freaking awesome. Does it make the rest of the NHL's fanbases despise the penguins even more? Yes. But dammit, its a great reason to be hated. I am SO going to this, and I wont have to sit in a car for hours and stay in a motel overnight for it this time!

oBIgzrL.png

Whatever. There are only so many places to stage a Winter Classic, and Pittsburgh is a really good place to do so. I think it'll look cool at Heinz.

Are there going to be conflicts with Steelers playoff games?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This is freaking awesome. Does it make the rest of the NHL's fanbases despise the penguins even more? Yes. But dammit, its a great reason to be hated. I am SO going to this, and I wont have to sit in a car for hours and stay in a motel overnight for it this time!

Not sure why this would make anyone hate a team more than they already to (assuming they hate said team to begin with.) It'd be hard to argue against this match up, and I for one couldn't care less how many times a team appears in this game as long as there's a good reason for them to be there.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It'd be hard to argue against this match up, and I for one couldn't care less how many times a team appears in this game as long as there's a good reason for them to be there.

Yeah, it should come as no surprise that the NHL wants its two best players to appear in the biggest scheduled event of the season in front of the 2nd-largest crowd in the history of the league. But for the haters it's just one more silly thing to put on their list of reasons why the NHL is biased for the Penguins :rolleyes:

1zgyd8w.jpg

Whatever. There are only so many places to stage a Winter Classic, and Pittsburgh is a really good place to do so. I think it'll look cool at Heinz.

Are there going to be conflicts with Steelers playoff games?

Nope Steelers are playing in Cleveland on January 2nd and they'll have the rink down by Monday probably just in case the Steelers will be playing at home for the playoffs the following week.

The Penguins are despised because of their whiny, yet arrogant fans....yourself included. They're fast approaching the hated fan status that is currently topped by the cities of New York and Boston.

The Penguins are despised because of their whiny, yet arrogant fans....yourself included. They're fast approaching the hated fan status that is currently topped by the cities of New York and Boston.

You forget their whiny yet arrogant superstar captain. But I digress.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I can't dislike Crosby too much...he led my team to the Cup in the CCSLC fantasty hockey league....

I may watch the Pens and the Caps, may. If the Pens bust out the jerseys from the Stanley Cup era and the Caps bring back the correct Caps jerseys with the stars on them, I'll watch. I just can't watch the game if the Caps are in their crappy current styled jerseys. I just can't get excited about either team. Sure they have great players, but it seems like they are the Yankees and Red Sox of the NHL and that is all that is shown on tv. I'd rather see Colorado vs. New York in Denver than this match up.

I can't dislike Crosby too much...he led my team to the Cup in the CCSLC fantasty hockey league....

You won't have an easy path next season.

:sleeping: :sleeping:

That New Year's game will simply be a 3-period celebration of Ovechkin and Crosby, instead of a hockey game. So count me out on watching that one.

MUST MISS TV! :puke::puke:

The February game might be a good one though.

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

Archived