Flames and Penguins set to host Outdoor Games next season.

NEW.ERA

From how I interpreted it reading the release on Puck the Media, This Hockey Day in America sounds intriguing, but I highly doubt NBC would have a tripleheader going up against the Daytona 500. I'm guessing maybe NBC would air their usual Sunday game of the week and focus on the USA Hockey initiative throughout the telecast?

Other than that, I don't mind the NHL putting the Pens in the Winter Classic again, and I don't mind having two of them either. Having the two biggest stars in the league playing in the Winter Classic will only help the hype surrounding the game, plus the second one serves the Canadian market well and gives them the opportunity to host it. I'm also digging Versus airing the Heritage Classic, which remember back in 2004 ESPN (or any of their networks) didn't even air it live. All in all this should be good for the league

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From how I interpreted it reading the release on Puck the Media, This Hockey Day in America sounds intriguing, but I highly doubt NBC would have a tripleheader going up against the Daytona 500. I'm guessing maybe NBC would air their usual Sunday game of the week and focus on the USA Hockey initiative throughout the telecast?

Yeah that will be quite the mess.

Teams that will be competing in Hockey Day in America are.

Philadelphia, New York Rangers, Washington, Buffalo, Detroit, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Chicago and Boston.

Schedule to be released June 22nd.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Hockey Day in America is set for the 20th, Which is also the same day the Heritage Classic is so NBC will probably have triple header if that's even possible on Saturday.

NBC does Sunday games during the regular season, so I highly doubt they'd do a Saturday game let alone a triple-cast. Heck, hockey day in America isn't even a blip on anyone's radar screen. It started in 2008 I think. If you wanted to make it meaningful, versus would do a game starting at 11 am EST (Boston - home team), 2 pm EST (Washington), 5 pm EST (Detroit), 8 pm EST (Colorado), and 11 pm EST (San Jose). That would be the proper way to do a Hockey Day in America.

The only thing I dont like about it is that its like we're married to the Penguins or something. Cant be just the Caps without the Pens too. Thats kind of annoying. At least we'll get our own Classic in the next few years. I might have to try and get to that one, depending on where its being held.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I don't get it. Every Wednesday or whatever that there's a light schedule of just Thrashers/Panthers and Ducks/Coyotes is Hockey Day In America.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The only thing I dont like about it is that its like we're married to the Penguins or something. Cant be just the Caps without the Pens too. Thats kind of annoying. At least we'll get our own Classic in the next few years. I might have to try and get to that one, depending on where its being held.

It's about using the one time people will be watching to highlight the two biggest stars in the league.

It's about using the one time people will be watching to highlight the two biggest stars in the league.

I get why. I just dont like it. I'm gonna watch it anyways cause its my team. Hopefully when we have ours itll be someone different.

"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

I get why. I just dont like it. I'm gonna watch it anyways cause its my team. Hopefully when we have ours itll be someone different.

It might be Caps-Pens II at FedEx Field! :shocked:

It might be Caps-Pens II at FedEx Field! :shocked:

Oy, 2 evils in 1 game? I dont know if I could stand it.

Well I apologize for the fact that Ovie isn't the be-all and end-all of NHL superstardom.

As for a Caps WC, does it get cold enough in Washington to pull it off? I've been there twice in the winter months, and while it got cold, it wasn't Winter Classic cold.

Well I apologize for the fact that Ovie isn't the be-all and end-all of NHL superstardom.

As for a Caps WC, does it get cold enough in Washington to pull it off? I've been there twice in the winter months, and while it got cold, it wasn't Winter Classic cold.

If you were here this past winter Ice_Cap, you would have experienced three blizzards, which is an anomaly.

However, to answer your question, it does get cold here and snows heavily a few times every five to ten years.

I dont think he is. He shouldnt be at least.

It does get cold, but not that cold. It certainly wont have the atmosphere of a Wrigley, Buffalo, or Fenway, hell I dont even care if people watch im just glad the team and the fanbase are getting some recognition to where theres a question with the NHL whether we could support a Classic.

Other than that, I don't mind the NHL putting the Pens in the Winter Classic again, and I don't mind having two of them either. Having the two biggest stars in the league playing in the Winter Classic will only help the hype surrounding the game, plus the second one serves the Canadian market well and gives them the opportunity to host it. I'm also digging Versus airing the Heritage Classic, which remember back in 2004 ESPN (or any of their networks) didn't even air it live. All in all this should be good for the league

I doubt that the NHL and Nascar are competing for the same fans.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Rivalry + Superstars = Lots of matchups.

Dont worry. Were really sick of it too. :P

oBIgzrL.png

I don't really see a natural rivalry yeah the teams have met in the playoffs back in the day and now where both teams are really good but this is a Crosby-Ovechkin thing not a Penguin-Capital thing.

This has to be the biggest force fed rivalry in the NHL if not among all North American sports.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I don't really see a natural rivalry yeah the teams have met in the playoffs back in the day and now where both teams are really good but this is a Crosby-Ovechkin thing not a Penguin-Capital thing.

This has to be the biggest force fed rivalry in the NHL if not among all North American sports.

I wonder how much longer it will last, though. By this time two weeks from now, if the Blackhawks end up winning the Cup, Patrick Kane may well have leapfrogged over both Crosby and Ovechkin atop Bettman's A-list. At the very least Kane should be right up there with them, but given Bettman's obsession with the NHL's US marketability, Kane also has the advantage of being American-born and being the star player in one of the NHL's largest US media markets. Crosby and Ovechkin are foreigners playing for teams in middling markets, so I wouldn't be surprised if Bettman ultimately kicks them both to the curb (after the Winter Classic, of course) in favor of Kane.

CCSLC signature.png

I wonder how much longer it will last, though. By this time two weeks from now, if the Blackhawks end up winning the Cup, Patrick Kane may well have leapfrogged over both Crosby and Ovechkin atop Bettman's A-list. At the very least Kane should be right up there with them, but given Bettman's obsession with the NHL's US marketability, Kane also has the advantage of being American-born and being the star player in one of the NHL's largest US media markets. Crosby and Ovechkin are foreigners playing for teams in middling markets, so I wouldn't be surprised if Bettman ultimately kicks them both to the curb (after the Winter Classic, of course) in favor of Kane.

Leapfrog? Are you kidding me? Everyone loves a winner and of course he'll get attention if he wins but he is not "leapfrogging" the two best players in the league.

And Pittsburgh and Washington are not "middling" markets, they are two of the biggest hockey markets in the country.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Archived