USMNT

CreamSoda

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course I cannot find the article that I read this, but I am pretty sure that the stars are for the gold cup or something with CONCACAF titles.

Would there be a reason for one star in the center being a bit larger, other than for design reasons?

Of course I cannot find the article that I read this, but I am pretty sure that the stars are for the gold cup or something with CONCACAF titles.

No. Please stop perpetuating this.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

lost_limey has it right with the proper coloring, the 13 stripes, and the 11 stars for the players on the field. But interestingly enough I just came across the logo for the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup.

Take a look.

544px-LHUSOpenCupLogo.png

Based on US Soccer shield? CHECK.

Proper flag coloring? CHECK.

Thirteen stripes? CHECK.

Eleven stars (presumably representing the 11 players)? CHECK.

It looks like someone in US Soccer is already well-aware of what they should be doing. So why haven't they done it?

I prefer the shape of the current crest to this one, but that's not really the point.

EDIT: I miscounted the stars. They weren't quite as savvy as limey and went with the double-13s echoing the colonial flag. I prefer limey's decision to make the stars represent the players with 11.

The stars only count as titles if they are outside of the crest design.

See Italy.

Italy's the one out of the norm here. Every other country places the stars that represent WC titles outside of the crest. Italy aside, all other countries with stars in the crest use the stars simply to reflect national symbolism (and the US isn't alone in this, as Mockba pointed out a few pages back).

Well the Italian Stars were off the crest, but then they fell down onto the crest.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

What red-blooded American patriot doesn't get a little choked up whenever they see our beautiful flag, with its blue and white stars on a red background representing the 50 states, and its alternating navy and white stripes representing the original 13 colonies?

The stars only count as titles if they are outside of the crest design.

See Italy.

Italy's the one out of the norm here. Every other country places the stars that represent WC titles outside of the crest. Italy aside, all other countries with stars in the crest use the stars simply to reflect national symbolism (and the US isn't alone in this, as Mockba pointed out a few pages back).

Having stars "in" the crest to indicate World Cup championships would appear to be against FIFA rules for indicating championships as discuss a few pages back.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Not to further complicate things, but technically Germany has their stars on their badge for this Cup. It is above the national team crest, but within the borders of the badge instead of stitched on the jersey above the badge as is usually done.

germany_adidas_world_cup_2010_jerse.jpg

You know, say what you will about America. Thirteen bucks still gets you a hell of a load of mice.

Yes, but a few things.

First, the "crest" proper is the logo itself, if I remember correctly. The shield is a new addition and technically not part of the mark.

Secondly, those German shirts are so awesome that they can get away with it.

Finally, this entire argument comes down to just having a little common sense. Why does the US soccer logo have stars in it? Maybe because the US flag has stars and stars have always been associated with American national imagery? Case closed.

Yes, but a few things.

First, the "crest" proper is the logo itself, if I remember correctly. The shield is a new addition and technically not part of the mark.

Finally, this entire argument comes down to just having a little common sense. Why does the US soccer logo have stars in it? Maybe because the US flag has stars and stars have always been associated with American national imagery? Case closed.

if i recall, the 3 stars on the US badge represent the 3 levels of US teams -- Men's, Women's, and Youth (U20, U17, etc). Kind of a crappy reason, but I believe that's what they stand for.

Yes, but a few things.

1. Yes, but when I saw these the other day I immediately thought of this thread.

2. They are sharp, although I must admit that when they wore the all black strip I was a little uneasy seeing a bunch of Germans in black uniforms.

3. Anyone with common sense and pays any attention to the World Cup would also know that the USMNT hasn't won three tournaments, let alone one.

You know, say what you will about America. Thirteen bucks still gets you a hell of a load of mice.

wow, nice response. You really get it, thanks.

Anybody with any real knowledge?

So simple logic like the stars are a symbol of the country isn't good enough for you? That's basically it. There's no other reason for them to be there. They don't represent any titles.

No, and it's not good enough for me either. In soccer stars are used to represent championships. Even if they're on the badge and not separate, it still looks stupid. Is there any logic whatsoever to using three stars? That right there adds to the confusion. The stars on the US badge don't even resemble our flag in any way (you could use the argument that the bevel is similar to the way stars are stitched onto the flag, but that's a pretty big stretch IMO). It looks like the crest was designed by someone with absolutely no knowledge of soccer who said, "Hey, other successful countries have stars somewhere, why not use them ourselves? In fact, even though it's not one of our national colors, and we haven't won a damn thing either, lets use gold too!" Overall, it's a pretty awful crest, and this problem could be solved by using this logo, or something similar to it

us-soccer-dont-tread-on-me.gif

Although I think it's a Nike logo and probably wouldn't be approved. Either way, it's still head and shoulders above the 90s MLS looking crest they currently use.

EDIT: WOW, I just noticed the Nike Swoosh tongue. Talk about logo creep to the max.

It's still a pretty kick ass logo...

It says soccer above the volleyball.

87Redskins.png

2. They are sharp, although I must admit that when they wore the all black strip I was a little uneasy seeing a bunch of Germans in black uniforms.

I'm so sick of seeing this. Really? The country of Germany, whose flag is one-third black, shouldn't ever wear black clothing? Really?

3. Anyone with common sense and pays any attention to the World Cup would also know that the USMNT hasn't won three tournaments, let alone one.

Everyone, please read what Ice_Cap posted. Read it again. Now read it once more. Realize that he's right, and let this whole "durrr... huh-hurrr.... they haven't won three World Cups... durrr..." thing go. Please. The team is the friggin' Stars and Stripes fercripessake. Jeebus.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I'm so sick of seeing this. Really? The country of Germany, whose flag is one-third black, shouldn't ever wear black clothing? Really?

Besides, the German Nazi SAs were known as Brown Shirts. Italy's Fascists were the black shirts. If Italy starts wearing black, then sure, there's something to complain about. Germany though? As long as they're not brown, they're fine.

Besides, the German Nazi SAs were known as Brown Shirts. Italy's Fascists were the black shirts. If Italy starts wearing black, then sure, there's something to complain about. Germany though? As long as they're not brown, they're fine.

What about the SS?

oBIgzrL.png

What about the SS?

They did wear black (though not all, the combat SS wore a brown/green camo pattern). The thing is, however, that they weren't known for the colour of their uniforms. They wore black, but the black uniform wasn't as synonymous with the SS as the brown shirts were with the SA. Or the black shirts with Italy's Fascist militia.

So really the only colour Germany needs to stay away from is brown.

Archived