2010 Little League World Series format change

philly97flyer

2010 Little League World Series changes

I know there are a decent amount of people on this board that watch these games every year. I know its still a couple months away, but I thought Id point out the changes that they made for this year. 4 teams in 4 pools will play a double elimination style bracket, as opposed to the classic round robin. The winning teams of each bracket will play in the US and International championship games, respectively, with the winners of those games meeting for the World Championship. I think this format is better. All of the teams still alive in the tournament will be able to control their own destiny at all times, and wont have to rely on tiebreakers, help from other teams, or playing a meaningless game at the end of round robin play. The "crossover" game for the teams that lose their first 2 games is a good way to keep the guaranteed 3 games in tact.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

For some reason I am not a fan of the US vs World style in the final . . . I think that they should have mixed pools and truly have the worlds best 2 teams in the finals not just the best team from the US vs the best not US team

That makes two of us. The move to double elimination is probably to save an international team (Europe and MEA) from getting embarrassed in a third game of pool play.

Last year was a good example. Chula Vista, CA and San Antonio, TX looked like the 2 best teams, yet Chinese Taipei (again) ended up playing the U.S. winner. Staten Island, NY team look unstoppable early on as well...so a fair(er) format may have ended up with different results.

87Redskins.png

Last year was a good example. Chula Vista, CA and San Antonio, TX looked like the 2 best teams, yet Chinese Taipei (again) ended up playing the U.S. winner. Staten Island, NY team look unstoppable early on as well...so a fair(er) format may have ended up with different results.

If you are implying that two of the US teams should have met in the final, not likely. A change would probably mean only one US champ would get in, just like the other countries.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

For some reason I am not a fan of the US vs World style in the final . . . I think that they should have mixed pools and truly have the worlds best 2 teams in the finals not just the best team from the US vs the best not US team

That makes two of us. The move to double elimination is probably to save an international team (Europe and MEA) from getting embarrassed in a third game of pool play.

Make that three. I've always thought it was an unfair opportunity for US kids. It's an international competition, but if the two best teams in the world are from the US, so be it. On the flip side, many casual viewers here in the US are probably going to be disinterested if two Asian teams meet for the title. Once again, getting viewers and money are the deciding factor, which makes a small amount of sense. So the argument could go both ways really...

Well, consider me a flip-flop. :lol:

4 teams in 4 pools will play a double elimination style bracket, as opposed to the classic round robin.

So they're basically switching to the College World Series format, but instead of eliminating teams when they hit 2 losses, it looks like they're including "consolation" games to give them a chance at a win before they leave.

The Little League World Series is the definition of summer boredom.

Not for Herbert

20100126-familyguymrHerbert.JPG

You know I don't understand why there is so much coverage of the LLWS, maybe show a few games but these kids should not be on TV. Too much pressure, no wonder Dr. James Andrews is operating on younger and younger arms.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Not for Herbert

20100126-familyguymrHerbert.JPG

You know I don't understand why there is so much coverage of the LLWS, maybe show a few games but these kids should not be on TV. Too much pressure, no wonder Dr. James Andrews is operating on younger and younger arms.

in reality, there still is little coverage. Only the US regional title games and the LLWS tournament is aired nationally. That is just eight games. There are hundreds of games not televised globally to get to the final 16. This current tournament will be 30 games or as many as 34 games, while last year, there were games.

Growing up i wanted to play there and be on TV, so I think that kids still look at the LLWS (if they still play baseball) as something that is a goal. A family reality show on how a kid can read the number of a ball as

Methinks it's not a great idea to have these kids pitching more than they would in pool-play.

It is only one more game if a team from the losers bracket has enough talent to win three in a row, but that is just more likely on the US side. When a INT team gets housed in game one, they are not getting out of the bracket.

Pitch counts were changed for 2007. To keep it relevant to the LLWS we typically see, kids 11 or 12 years old have a pitch count of 85 pitches. Plus, LLWS has placed staggered rest times as well. While most teams carry only 3-4 pitchers, there still is the following:

.If a pitcher reaches the 85 limit, they must rest four calendar days. This is new for 2010.

? If a player pitches 61 or more pitches in a day, three calendar days of rest must be observed.

? If a player pitches 41-60 pitches in a day, two calendar days of rest must be observed.

? If a player pitches 21-40 pitches in a day, one calendar day of rest must be observed.

? If a player pitches 1-20 pitches in a day, no calendar day of rest is required before pitching again.

Now, any pitcher who delivers 41 or more pitches in a game may not go behind the plate to play catcher for the remainder of the day.

If suspended games are resumed on another day, pitchers of record at time game was suspended will be allowed to pitch to the extent of their eligibility for that day if they have rested the proper amount of days.

In a new ruling for 2010, if a pitcher reaches the pitch-count limit for their age while facing a batter, the pitcher may continue to throw until the batter reaches base, is thrown out, or the third out is made to complete the half-inning.

Not for Herbert

in reality, there still is little coverage. Only the US regional title games and the LLWS tournament is aired nationally. That is just eight games. There are hundreds of games not televised globally to get to the final 16. This current tournament will be 30 games or as many as 34 games, while last year, there were games.

Growing up i wanted to play there and be on TV, so I think that kids still look at the LLWS (if they still play baseball) as something that is a goal. A family reality show on how a kid can read the number of a ball as

Methinks it's not a great idea to have these kids pitching more than they would in pool-play.

It is only one more game if a team from the losers bracket has enough talent to win three in a row, but that is just more likely on the US side. When a INT team gets housed in game one, they are not getting out of the bracket.

Pitch counts were changed for 2007. To keep it relevant to the LLWS we typically see, kids 11 or 12 years old have a pitch count of 85 pitches. Plus, LLWS has placed staggered rest times as well. While most teams carry only 3-4 pitchers, there still is the following:

.If a pitcher reaches the 85 limit, they must rest four calendar days. This is new for 2010.

? If a player pitches 61 or more pitches in a day, three calendar days of rest must be observed.

? If a player pitches 41-60 pitches in a day, two calendar days of rest must be observed.

? If a player pitches 21-40 pitches in a day, one calendar day of rest must be observed.

? If a player pitches 1-20 pitches in a day, no calendar day of rest is required before pitching again.

Now, any pitcher who delivers 41 or more pitches in a game may not go behind the plate to play catcher for the remainder of the day.

If suspended games are resumed on another day, pitchers of record at time game was suspended will be allowed to pitch to the extent of their eligibility for that day if they have rested the proper amount of days.

In a new ruling for 2010, if a pitcher reaches the pitch-count limit for their age while facing a batter, the pitcher may continue to throw until the batter reaches base, is thrown out, or the third out is made to complete the half-inning.

• 4 weeks later...

As a teenager, this tournament is, by far, the worst thing that happens to me during the summer. I once dreamed of being in the Little League World Series, but I never made it. Now, I watch these kids play, and most of them are god-awful. They can't hit or field. The only reason games end is because a pitcher gets 20 strikeouts per game. The reason these pitchers are so good is because they are 16 years old, even though the age limit is 12. I mean, really, those kids with mustaches who are 6 feet tall with broad shoulders are not 12. They are just 16 year olds with fake birth certificates living out the dreams of their over-protective dads who won't stop bothering their sons until they have won the LLWS championship. And what about those so-called "webgems" that they show before the championship game every year? They wouldn't pass as routine plays in high-school leagues, let alone the MLB.

My favorite part about the LLWS is when a kid gets heatstroke and the parents tend to him in the dugout. I also like the hot sisters that are forced to support their little brothers.

I mean, come on? This has got to be the most embarrassing thing to happen to these kids in their lives. What happens when they strike out and cry on national TV? I think the FCC should set an age limit for who is allowed on television, or some sort of maturity level, at the least. If you start sobbing and pouting when you hit a line drive that gets caught, then you shouldn't be allowed on TV. But then again, Nick Punto is still allowed to show his face :).

Then again, I could just be jealous.....

I hate KidsBop, too.

Archived