Legendary Yankees PA dies

Dilbert

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure I really understand your beef. Is the objection on religious grounds? Because it's the Yankees? Because elevating baseball to sublime heights, to a very metaphor for America, is not exactly new.

I guarantee that when Vin Scully passes away, you'll hear the exact same tributes.

Yeah, the over-romanticism of sports, and especially baseball bug me. But I think that kind of talk takes it to a new and unsettling level. Part of it too, is New Yorkers needing to get over themselves.

Not sure I really understand your beef. Is the objection on religious grounds? Because it's the Yankees? Because elevating baseball to sublime heights, to a very metaphor for America, is not exactly new.

I guarantee that when Vin Scully passes away, you'll hear the exact same tributes.

Just like we did for Ernie Harwell earlier this season.

No, quite the opposite. Ernie Harwell was known for his personal and accessible nature, both in the broadcast booth and in real life. He always maintained that he was just your average guy, lucky to be talking baseball for a living. He sounded like an easygoing Southerner describing the game to his personal friends, not like any "Voice of God". Sure, Harwell got his deserved tributes, and Scully will get his. I'm not saying Sheppard shouldn't be celebrated for his work. But, "Voice of God"?!? Isn't that a severe lack of perspective, New Yorkers being full of themselves and way over-romanticizing?

EDIT, just read Tank's post: Yeah, having a smooth, clear voice is usually a prerequisite for announcers at major venues. And over PA systems, they do tend to echo and sound more majestic.

So, do you complain anytime somebody talks about John Facenda? Or does that not count because he wasn't from New York? :rolleyes:

He doesn't come up often in my circles, but if someone were to mention him in connection with the same nickname, I may say something. Anyway, Facenda (or at least his voice) is far more iconic than Sheppard, well known far beyond New York.

"If?" Seriously? No "if" about it.

Even now, a quarter century after his death, Facenda continues to be well-known far and wide as the "Voice of God."

Or, if you prefer, you could complain about the other "Voice of God," voiceover king Don LaFontaine.

You misunderstood what I said. I'm not debating Facenda's commonly called the "Voice of God". I was only saying, in my circles I'm not sure he's ever been brought up--but if he and the nickname were, I may or may not say something critical.

I'm saying that, from the outside, your objection appears to be more about the team which wrote his check than his nickname itself.

Well, not specifically the Yankees, but I have been pretty forthcoming about New Yorkers being part of the equation. I've mentioned them a few times in my comments. Not every single thing about New York and the Yankees has to be hallowed and sacred, just because it's been for a long time. I mean, who outside of New Yorkers and fairly hardcore baseball fans have even heard of Sheppard? I followed a team that was once in the AL East with them, and I had no idea the Yankees' PA guy was anything special. After all, we are talking about a job that's pretty much just announcing hitters, lineup/pitching changes and simple, scripted material. As long as they're not obnoxious about it, how noticeable are they?

I saw an ESPN item on Sheppard's passing, and was really sickened by all the references to the "Voice of God" & heaven, and the way Sheppard even spoke of himself. Come on, it's baseball and he was an announcer. I guess do something long enough (and do it long enough in New York), and you're pretty much deified?

I hate to rain on your "I want to rain on the parade" parade Milo but... "Voice of god" (note the lower case g) is a term used in broadcasting and announcing to denote the seemingly disembodied voice that says things like "You're listening to another 12 in a row on W-whatever radio" or "This...is CNN" or "The frozen tundra of Lambeau Field" and in this case "Now batting for the Yankees, number 2 Derek Jeter." It's also called the "god voice", voice of the station, etc. The term "voice of god" is not in any way meant to elevate the importance of the person behind it. I am betting that's what people are referring to when they say Bob Sheppard was "the voice of god" at Yankee Stadium. People "outside the know" assume it means something else and run with it then before we know it, people like you are on forums complaining about it.

"Voice of god" is an insiders term so it doesn't surprise me at all that ESPN would use it. They probably think using it makes them look like they know something about the business.

BB52Big.jpg

So, do you complain anytime somebody talks about John Facenda? Or does that not count because he wasn't from New York? :rolleyes:

He doesn't come up often in my circles

The Killjoy Pompous Ass Club of Supreme Condescension actually gets together? Who knew?

BB52Big.jpg

I saw an ESPN item on Sheppard's passing, and was really sickened by all the references to the "Voice of God" & heaven, and the way Sheppard even spoke of himself. Come on, it's baseball and he was an announcer. I guess do something long enough (and do it long enough in New York), and you're pretty much deified?

I hate to rain on your "I want to rain on the parade" parade Milo but... "Voice of god" (note the lower case g) is a term used in broadcasting and announcing to denote the seemingly disembodied voice that says things like "You're listening to another 12 in a row on W-whatever radio" or "This...is CNN" or "The frozen tundra of Lambeau Field" and in this case "Now batting for the Yankees, number 2 Derek Jeter." It's also called the "god voice", voice of the station, etc. The term "voice of god" is not in any way meant to elevate the importance of the person behind it. I am betting that's what people are referring to when they say Bob Sheppard was "the voice of god" at Yankee Stadium. People "outside the know" assume it means something else and run with it then before we know it, people like you are on forums complaining about it.

"Voice of god" is an insiders term so it doesn't surprise me at all that ESPN would use it. They probably think using it makes them look like they know something about the business.

I'm aware of the industry term. I was in broadcasting briefly, myself. But you know there are many running around talking about how Yankee Stadium is a "church" or "heaven", and speaking in revering tones of Sheppard's voice booming down, as if from God. The whole "Yankee baseball is a religious experience" crowd, you know?

...Furthermore, Reggie Jackson was the one who dubbed Sheppard the "Voice of God". While he has been a broadcaster, I'd hardly call him an industry "insider"; more like an athlete behind the mic.

As I said - it has little or nothing to do with the topic at hand. Your objection is really all about the Yankees.

And full-of-themselves New Yorkers.

Do you acknowledge any other kind? :P

Well, it'd be a pretty small minority. You gotta admit, you're a pretty self-fellating aggrandizing bunch.

I'm aware of the industry term. I was in broadcasting briefly, myself. But you know there are many running around talking about how Yankee Stadium is a "church" or "heaven", and speaking in revering tones of Sheppard's voice booming down, as if from God. The whole "Yankee baseball is a religious experience" crowd, you know?

...Furthermore, Reggie Jackson was the one who dubbed Sheppard the "Voice of God". While he has been a broadcaster, I'd hardly call him an industry "insider"; more like an athlete behind the mic.

This whole argument is nitpicky even for you Milo. You're coming across as nothing other than a guy who has a problem with the Yankees and New York in general. You know as well as I do that those "God" and "heaven" references aren't serious nor are they meant the way you're interpreting them. If anything, I figure you would appreciate how pompous they are.

So what job did you have in broadcasting? I'm a little surprised because I've been in the business over 20 years and in that time I've never worked at a station that saw the need to hire some pompous, condescending guy to sit around and tell us how above it all he is. My impression is our business isn't anywhere near "smart" enough for you. :D

BB52Big.jpg

As I said - it has little or nothing to do with the topic at hand. Your objection is really all about the Yankees.

Well, it'd be a pretty small minority. You gotta admit, you're a pretty self-fellating aggrandizing bunch.

Well, we can't all have the mid-size city's inferiority complex. :P

Well, we can't all have the mid-size city's inferiority complex. :P

Nope, it's just Midwestern humility and egalitarianism. I don't care for people who think they're special.

Archived