2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

Great the Cam Newton love fest continues, get's paid to play, has the BCS protecting him and now apparently the CBS announce team is going blow him as well.

Seriously, the kid plagarized papers (more then once) got caught, went to Blinn, sought money to play, go a full scholarship and CBS is going to praise him? He is a cheat, nothing more.

Anyone else have a feeling he is going to end up with a few "personal conduct" suspensions in his first years in the NFL?

(and no I am not a 'Bama, Oregon, TCU or Boise St. fan, just a NCAA fan that is tired of hearing of these whiny kids trying to get more and going unpunished)

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great the Cam Newton love fest continues, get's paid to play, has the BCS protecting him and now apparently the CBS announce team is going blow him as well.

Seriously, the kid plagarized papers (more then once) got caught, went to Blinn, sought money to play, go a full scholarship and CBS is going to praise him? He is a cheat, nothing more.

Anyone else have a feeling he is going to end up with a few "personal conduct" suspensions in his first years in the NFL?

(and no I am not a 'Bama, Oregon, TCU or Boise St. fan, just a NCAA fan that is tired of hearing of these whiny kids trying to get more and going unpunished)

These kids should get paid. They're not even kids, they are college students and it's criminal that they don't get paid something (especially considering these schools and Athletic Directors make millions on their behalf). I'm a college student myself, and I have a job, so I like to get paid, hence the reason why I'm working for it. But, these collegiate athletes don't have a time for a job, so how are they suppose to pay for food, rent, or even just spending money (i.e. video games, cars, etc...)?? Even if they have a full-scholarship, that only covers the academic part of it, and housing in dorms. But, who wants to live in a dorm for that long? I sure as hell don't.

Academic cheating is wrong, no way to put it differently. However, Cam Newton is not the first nor last high-profile collegiate athlete to be payed and to have cheated. But it is wrong to deny these kids some sort of income when the rest of their co-students have time for a job and so they'll make money. Cam Newton needs to be disciplined for cheating academically, but not for getting paid to play.

We need to stop denying these collegiate athletes money when their respective sports are their jobs. It's criminal.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

These kids should get paid. They're not even kids, they are college students and it's criminal that they don't get paid something (especially considering these schools and Athletic Directors make millions on their behalf). I'm a college student myself, and I have a job, so I like to get paid, hence the reason why I'm working for it. But, these collegiate athletes don't have a time for a job, so how are they suppose to pay for food, rent, or even just spending money (i.e. video games, cars, etc...)?? Even if they have a full-scholarship, that only covers the academic part of it, and housing in dorms. But, who wants to live in a dorm for that long? I sure as hell don't.

Academic cheating is wrong, no way to put it differently. However, Cam Newton is not the first nor last high-profile collegiate athlete to be payed and to have cheated. But it is wrong to deny these kids some sort of income when the rest of their co-students have time for a job and so they'll make money. Cam Newton needs to be disciplined for cheating academically, but not for getting paid to play.

We need to stop denying these collegiate athletes money when their respective sports are their jobs. It's criminal.

I seem to be of the recollection that athletes do get some cost of living stipends on top of the free tuition and board. (And, let's be honest here, the free tuition and board money isn't chicken feed either.)

/Somehow those wrestlers, swimmers, track stars, and other non-revenue athletes are able to make ends meet.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Auburn will be the first team ever to Vacate a National Championship it could be disastrous for the NCAA.

Oh heck, hasn't Kentucky basketball vacated like half of theirs?

The black eye from an Auburn vacation is that everybody is seeing this coming before the title is even awarded. "Don't get the trophies engraved" is a slightly worse black eye than "Whoops, Reggie Bush was super special secret ineligible his entire senior season" well after the fact.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'd be inclined to believe that the players should be paid, but thanks to Title 9, schools would have to pay EVERY athlete - including nonrevenue sports. I can understand how schools don't see the financial gain in paying the women's field hockey team or the men's swim team, etc.

Fair point but without the football program raking in huge dollars every year there are no field hockey or swim teams. At least that's what I'd tell the field hockey or swim team if they had a problem with it.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

Fair point but without the football program raking in huge dollars every year there are no field hockey or swim teams. At least that's what I'd tell the field hockey or swim team if they had a problem with it.

And that's what schools would be saying while paying football and mens' basketball players if Title 9 didn't exist.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Arizona up on #1 Oregon 17-16 at the half. Now we just wait for the Ducks to flip that second half switch they've been using all year....

You mean 19-14...? lol Arizona got the safety, not the Ducks... :P

Doesn't matter now. :D

Oregon leads. Don't like the call going for 2 this early.

6uXNWAo.png

What is with Oregon going for two?

That way a field goal ties instead of giving Arizona the lead again.

Today, we are all otaku.

Am I the only one who notices that Oregon goes for two for no apparent reason? This one can be explained, but there were times where I was perplexed for Oregon's 2-point conversion tries.

Am I the only one who notices that Oregon goes for two for no apparent reason? This one can be explained, but there were times where I was perplexed for Oregon's 2-point conversion tries.

So you're covered if you're held to a figgie or two, or if you shank a PAT then?

Today, we are all otaku.

I'm just sick of this crap every year. And there's still a possibility of Boise being shut out of the BCS entirely. If that happens, I'll be royally pissed.

Get more fans.

That said, I give Boise State good odds when it comes down to scoring an at large at the moment even if they don't move to #3. The Big XII essentially dicked itself out of any chance for an at large by the one-sided officiating of A&M-Nebraska (Big XII Championship game loser would be a 3 loss team and tumbling below #14), the ACC and Big East are one bid leagues, and Notre Dame is going to one pizza bowl or another. It's essentially down to them and Stanford for the last at large, and Stanford doesn't bring THAT big a fanbase to the table.

(It is at this point that you should thank God the Rose Bowl is forced to take the higher ranked of TCU and Boise State this season to replace Oregon).

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived