Saw this posted on the Uniwatch blog

WNDUP FX

Wrong forum, sorry. Moderators, feel free to move this to the general sports forum.

That still doesn't make sense. Baseball ends in October, which would make this a patch for the 1985-86 season, not 1986-87.

0heiyns5dxgkq52mzr0mdanrs.gif

See how the math adds up? 1995 plus 10 equals 2005. So either the Mets patch is right and every other patch in existence is wrong, or this is a mathematical blunder and possible collectors item.

Wrong forum, sorry. Moderators, feel free to move this to the general sports forum.

That still doesn't make sense. Baseball ends in October, which would make this a patch for the 1985-86 season, not 1986-87.

0heiyns5dxgkq52mzr0mdanrs.gif

See how the math adds up? 1995 plus 10 equals 2005. So either the Mets patch is right and every other patch in existence is wrong, or this is a mathematical blunder and possible collectors item.

There is no 1985-86 season in baseball. 1985 and 1986 are two separate seasons. Count 'em out:

1) 1962

2) 1963

3) 1964

4) 1965

5) 1966

6) 1967

7) 1968

8) 1969

9) 1970

10) 1971

11) 1972

12) 1973

13) 1974

14) 1975

15) 1976

16) 1977

17) 1978

18) 1979

29) 1980

20) 1981

21) 1982

22) 1983

23) 1984

24) 1985

25) 1986

For the Avalanche, seasons cover two years, so:

1) 1995-96

2) 1996-97

3) 1997-98

4) 1998-99

5) 1999-2000

6) 2000-01

7) 2001-02

8) 2002-03

9) 2003-04

10) 2004-05

Make sense now?

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Took me a while to figure out the difference between, say, 50 seasons and 50th anniversary, but it's not that complicated.

No it isn't complicated, but it's still incorrect. That was my point.

No it's not incorrect as it's the 25th Anniversary of the first season.

Β 

Β 

Took me a while to figure out the difference between, say, 50 seasons and 50th anniversary, but it's not that complicated.

It may be time to log off, talk a walk, realize that they make the rules and you just live in a world where you have to accept it and move on with life.

How does that work? Wouldn't 1963 be the first anniversary of the first season? In that case, 1987 would be the 25th anniversary. The only way 1986 is the 25th anniversary is if 1962 is the first anniversary, which doesn't make sense (unless I'm missing something that someone can explain.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

How does that work? Wouldn't 1963 be the first anniversary of the first season? In that case, 1987 would be the 25th anniversary. The only way 1986 is the 25th anniversary is if 1962 is the first anniversary, which doesn't make sense (unless I'm missing something that someone can explain.)

This.

How can you celebrate an Anniversary at the start of a season? It's the start of the 25th Season. When someone gets married, you count the first year as 1, so if someone was married from 1950 to 2010, that's 60 years, not 61.

I asked one of my friends to weigh in on this, she's not a math whiz by any means, but she's a very logical person. She had this to say: "It's the 25th anniversary of the beginning of their team... who gives a :censored: about the mets anyway... the mets suck at baseball and they also suck at counting".

I'm not sure why I care so much, but there you have it. Case closed.

This.

How can you celebrate an Anniversary at the start of a season? It's the start of the 25th Season. When someone gets married, you count the first year as 1, so if someone was married from 1950 to 2010, that's 60 years, not 61.

I asked one of my friends to weigh in on this, she's not a math whiz by any means, but she's a very logical person. She had this to say: "It's the 25th anniversary of the beginning of their team... who gives a :censored: about the mets anyway... the mets suck at baseball and they also suck at counting".

Simple because UNLIKE people you dont break the first season of a sports teams life into portions. Kids are X many, weeks old, then months old, then it's years and then if you're lucky you start to count it decades. Sports teams dont.

The mistake people make is that a season STARTS with the first game, IT DOESN'T! Leagues regard a season as starting with OTA's training camp etc (back in the spring or summer depending on your sport) so by the time meaningful games roll round the team in question has already been firmly ingrained in the league system for quite some time. Sports teams after ONE GAME are regarded as effectively having been involved in A SEASON. They DO NOT wait until the end of a season to claim they are one season old. Meaningful games are the CULMINATION of a season NOT the beginning so you included the first season when totaling up how old teams are. Yes it's different from how people do it but it's not incorrect, it just takes a different perspective on the starting point. Sports teams look forwards, people with regards age and events wait a full year and count in retrospect. It's not rocket science.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

This.

Simple because UNLIKE people you dont break the first season of a sports teams life into portions. Kids are X many, weeks old, then months old, then it's years and then if you're lucky you start to count it decades. Sports teams dont.

The mistake people make is that a season STARTS with the first game, IT DOESN'T! Leagues regard a season as starting with OTA's training camp etc (back in the spring or summer depending on your sport) so by the time meaningful games roll round the team in question has already been firmly ingrained in the league system for quite some time. Sports teams after ONE GAME are regarded as effectively having been involved in A SEASON. They DO NOT wait until the end of a season to claim they are one season old. Meaningful games are the CULMINATION of a season NOT the beginning so you included the first season when totaling up how old teams are. Yes it's different from how people do it but it's not incorrect, it just takes a different perspective on the starting point. Sports teams look forwards, people with regards age and events wait a full year and count in retrospect. It's not rocket science.

9erssteve

That still doesn't MAKE sense. We're not counting SEASONS, we're counting ANNIVERSARIES of seasons. So you ARE correct that a team is involved in a SEASON after ONE GAME, the first ANNIVERSARY of that GAME isn't until the date OF that game on THE following year. If the patch said 25 SEASONS, then it's fine, but it says anniversary, SO it seems to be WRONG.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived