Unpopular Opinions

11 hours ago, Maz said:

Speaking of unpopular Canucks opinions, I believe my ranking of their eras is a near-opposite of most people:

1. Orca 1.0 (Blue/Silver/Red)

2. Spaghetti Plate 2.0 (90's)

3. Today's Green/Blue Orca (Since they've eliminated the text above the crest)

4. Spaghetti Plate 1.0 (Flying V)

5. OG Green/Blue Rink

Yeah, navy/red orca is dead last for me, even behind the Flying V.

1. Stick in Rink
2. Green/Blue Orca

3. Flying Skate

4. Flying V

5. Navy/Red Orca

1. Navy/red orca

2. Blue/green orca without wordmark

3. Blue/green orca with wordmark

4. Stick-in-rink

5. Skate

6. Flying V

• Like 1

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The Atlanta Thrashers actually had a really nice uniform set.

patrik-stefan.jpg

50899441_display_image.jpg?1307325913

47e92-16882437244152-1920.jpg

Here's another one: The Reebok Edge versions of the light blue jerseys are actually a lot nicer than the pre-Edge versions

• Like 3
  • Love 1

35 minutes ago, Ark said:

Here's another one: The Reebok Edge versions of the light blue jerseys are actually a lot nicer than the pre-Edge versions

You had me up until this part. The pre-Edge jerseys didn't have the stupid side panels and had a proper hem stripe. The Edge change-over ruined what was one of the better non-traditional looks in the league.

• Like 6

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

8 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

You had me up until this part. The pre-Edge jerseys didn't have the stupid side panels

Oh but they did

atlanta-thrashers_001-1024x737.jpg

atlanta-thrashers-defenseman-andy-sutton

The new Edge side panels actually fit with the design theme (almost... apparently they forgot to use piping on the back half for some reason). Also the pre-Edge uniforms look giant and bulky, whereas as the Edge uniforms have a nicer form fit

atlanta-marian-hossa-ilya-kovalchuk-nicl

46 minutes ago, Ark said:

Oh but they did

That's not the same thing. For one, those are just mesh panels that were just a darker shade of the jersey color. Secondly, the Edge side panels were outlined with the dumb apron piping. They were infinitely worse.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

That's not the same thing. For one, those are just mesh panels that were just a darker shade of the jersey color. Secondly, the Edge side panels were outlined with the dumb apron piping. They were infinitely worse.

Whatever they are, they are still really ugly. I wanted to like the pre-Edge light blue jerseys but they were just a mess of design imo

See, that's where I'm confused. How do you not see the Edge jerseys as more of a mess?

10 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

See, that's where I'm confused. How do you not see the Edge jerseys as more of a mess?

Because the piping on the side paneling fits the overall theme much better than all that mesh & the waist stripe do on the original. That jersey in general could use a modernization, and if that ever happens I hope they don't use a waist stripe at all. If they do use side panelling, it should only be on one side.

Also the bulkiness of the pre-Edge uniforms especially hurts that set in particular.

The Thrashers were a few decisions away from an excellent set. If they used the white crest on the navy sweater (or used the T on the white sweater), it’d be a decent modern design. I’m just not that into their font, as it aged a bit worse than its contemporaries (e.g., Wild, Coyotes, Blue Jackets, etc.) .

Recalibrating the brand around powder blue right as throwback jerseys were coming into fashion was a moderately savvy move, but they didn't do anything to the other half of their set and had another one of those overly fussy color schemes like the Coyotes. Wasn't it all stuff like "millennium burgundy" and "Capitol copper? In practical terms, navy blue, dark red, powder blue, yellow, metallic gold. By any name, colors that were probably good for some other avenue of graphic design but didn't lend themselves to sports.

On 6/24/2024 at 12:11 PM, BBTV said:

Of those, which are all bad, I'd probably put only the Oilers below that era's Kings.  How they signed off on those is beyond me.

They wanted to look like the Baltimore Ravens, which is still to this day the "if it wasn't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college" of branding strategy.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

A fix to the Reebok Edge Thrashers uniform is a side panel only on one side, the same side as the ATLANTA side panel, and the piping on both the back and the front of the side panel just like the arm stripe. 

I think that would be a solid jersey, as an alternate or primary.

On 7/20/2024 at 4:12 PM, Ark said:

Because the piping on the side paneling fits the overall theme much better than all that mesh & the waist stripe do on the original. That jersey in general could use a modernization, and if that ever happens I hope they don't use a waist stripe at all. If they do use side panelling, it should only be on one side.

Also the bulkiness of the pre-Edge uniforms especially hurts that set in particular.

The side panel piping didn't even match the sleeve. The one sleeve yoke was navy outlined in white & red, while the side panels were navy outlined in red & white. At least the original hem stripe matched the sleeve.

The pre-Edge powder blue jersey was a unique look, but when they made the switch they shared a template with Colorado, Nashville, and, to a lesser extent, Florida & Edmonton. They also made the inexplicable decision to not have a matching road jersey, which made things even worse.

• Like 1

I believe the Blues have the weakest identity in the NHL. Something about it just feels so uninspiring. I don't know if it's the large amount of blue across the league but they never stood out to me. Even the addition of red in the 80s and 90s feels like they tried to strengthen their identity and uniqueness by adding another color yet the red always felt out of place. I understand their current ideology of having a classic yet modern look. However my problem with their current look is their current shades of blues don't contrast each other enough, and their logo (which is the best part of their identity) is the least recognizable out of all of the 67' expansion teams and always fits weird on a jersey with solid blocked stripes. I'd love to see more experimentations with their logos and uniforms. My favorite logo of theirs by far is the trumpet logo. I just feel like out of the entire NHL their identity gets kind of lost in the back compared to the strong identities that occupy the league.

Thank you for coming to my unpopular opinion ted talk.

17 hours ago, YelichGraphics said:

their logo (which is the best part of their identity) is the least recognizable out of all of the 67' expansion teams

The Blues logo is miles better than this logo

spacer.png

It's also better than any Oakland/California (Golden) Seals logo ever was.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ruttep said:

The Blues logo is miles better than this logo

spacer.png

It's also better than any Oakland/California (Golden) Seals logo ever was.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I mean I guess I'm cherry picking a bit here but the original North Stars logo is a classic, and are a different identity from Dallas, and the Seals no longer exist, so amongst the remaining 67' expansion teams its definitely the weakest of them all.

3 hours ago, YelichGraphics said:

I mean I guess I'm cherry picking a bit here but the original North Stars logo is a classic, and are a different identity from Dallas, and the Seals no longer exist, so amongst the remaining 67' expansion teams its definitely the weakest of them all.

Fair. I do think the Blues logo had the Kings logo beat before they brought back the Gretzky era logo