Canucks Jersey Question

Legend

I have been going through old hockey cards recently and came across a Russ Courtnall 1996 Upper Deck Collectors Choice card. The picture on the front shows him wearing what appears to be an orange Canucks jersey.

Here is a link to a picture of a card with the jersey I am talking about:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d133/bergmanrocks/canucksthirdjersey.jpg&imgrefurl=http://bergmanscores.blogspot.com/2006/07/five-ugliest-third-jerseys-ever.html&usg=__WRxWiEA6PiTYseOrVXw-iV4JXsc=&h=451&w=307&sz=35&hl=en&start=23&tbnid=3aVl0TlP8m9yVM:&tbnh=127&tbnw=86&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcanucks%2Bjersey%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7DKUS_en%26biw%3D1659%26bih%3D801%26tbs%3Disch:10%2C701&um=1&itbs=1&ei=BSFZTMLXNpKInQe86qCPCQ&biw=1659&bih=801

That one looks a little more red, but on my card it is clearly orange. I went on the uniform database and saw the two years they used that 3rd jersey it was red on top.

I really couldn't find a clear answer.

Here is an ebay link with a jersey that looks more in between red and orange.

Anyone know the deal? Were there two colors, or was the card very off? No question when I look at the card even in a bright light it is more orange than the darker red shown on the database site and ever on other Cancuks cards.

I appreciate the help.

Thanks.

2ly2w09.jpg

The Canucks used this color for their Red between what I think were the 1991-1992 through 1996-1997 seasons:

VancouverCanucksRed_1997_SOL_SRGB.png

Prior to 1991-1992, they used a color that was even more "orangey". I'm not sure of the exact dates of the change, but I do know that the official color they used (see above) didn't even exist in the Pantone library prior to 1987.

Thank you all for the responses.

I actually don't mind the sweater, but I liked the orange better than the red. Now that the orange is non-existant, it doesn't matter lol.

Thanks guys.

2ly2w09.jpg

Wow.. what was vancouver thinking when they designed that uniform set?

This was one of the first ever alternate jerseys alongside the following...

The Kings "Burger King" Jersey

The Mighty Ducks "Wild Wing" Jersey

The Penguins "Robo Pigeon" jersey with the gradient stripe

The Bruins "Pooh Bear" Jersey

The Blues "Trumpet" Jersey was also supposed to be worn that year but you know the story with that...

I heard somewhere that these jerseys were not designed or approved by the individual clubs but by the NHL itself for the introduction of the third jersey program. Surprisingly the Vancouver one lasted two full seasons before the Orca design toke over.

I want to say that the red became redder in 1992-93, because it was the same year the orange and yellow stripes came off the bottom of their hockey pants.

That red jersey is their best jersey ever. The integration of the skate pattern was awesome

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

I want to say that the red became redder in 1992-93, because it was the same year the orange and yellow stripes came off the bottom of their hockey pants.

That red jersey is their best jersey ever. The integration of the skate pattern was awesome

I think you're right. Granted, this came from Wikipedia, but it might be correct:

The new incarnation was worn from 1989?92, when a subtle change was made ? and went largely unnoticed for the rest of the jersey's lifespan. The orange was changed to red, and the deep "gold" colour was changed to a much brighter yellow, reportedly because jersey-maker CCM no longer produced the required hues.

Here's a game worn jersey from 1991-92

source_417_1794.jpg

And another one against the Sharks (assuming preseason with the Canucks not wearing the NHL's 75th patch.)

eric%20murano%20ud92.jpg

523.jpg

Pavel Bure's 1992-93 game worn jersey. The red is more redder and the yellow is less golden. (Or perhaps it stands out more with the red.)

As a Canucks fan, I never liked that jersey, but I did like the idea of integrating the logo and jersey design. I think it worked for the Penguins with their 90s alternate.

As for the orange-to-red switch, I always thought it happened for the 92-93 season. IMO it was a big improvement, due to the better contrast between the yellow and red.

Archived