Worst College Logos

KJHillis

i really like the thread "5 worst logos in sports" so I decided to ask you guys what are some of the worst, uninspiring logos in college sports? the other thread focused more on professional sports. i think college logos are interesting in themselves, as well as the thought processes that go into choosing them. tradition is one of the dominating factors in choosing a logo for your school. i can guarentee we will not see the unanimity that we did in the other thread. most of my choices were based on the entire logo package, not just the primary listed on CC

So here are my top 5:

1.Illinois-Chicago

7142.gif

2.Georgia State

thunderthunderthundercatsho.jpg

Isn't this from a Lion King movie?

3.Iowa State

iowa_state_new_logo.png

very uninspiring logo package, they are like a lost kid in the Big 12

4.Marquette

logo_marq.gif

catholic, smart university with a modern, flashy logo package

5.Depaul

DePaul%20logo.gif

LOVE the color scheme but it just doesn't fit a classy Catholic school

What are yours?

300px-CarolinaColiseum.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Catholic schools aren't allowed to have modern logos? Since when?

My picks in no particular order - excluding really small colleges that probably can't afford better:

7489.gif

At least the Bills' logo looks like a buffalo. Apparently, Colorado chose the "amusement park balloon animal" route. And what's with the white horn when no other part of the logo is white?

d8nqfhswwqiht1dc4y5p0dmeh.gif

Firstly, this logo is far too weak to be used as a primary - which I believe it officially is now. Second of all, the "A" is basically just the Braves' cap logo with a serif attached. No originality here from Alabama. They ought to bring back the elephant logo, now that was an ownable logo.

j9mxrf2bfzasqkq3by70.gif

Rutgers went from one of the best identities in college sports to a plain red letter set in Rockwell Extra Bold, a font that comes with Microsoft Office. If they absolutely had to go the single-letter route, couldn't they have just picked this instead of the two-second job they ultimately chose?

oz59klw60uzer5pralxhznrl1.gif

Vandy is yet another school that went from a great identity to this watered-down, simplified version. The "V" is too light and too squished in the tiny space at the center of the star. This would have been a better option.

6g3sx3a2zxgt5z2vb10g.gif

I know Penn State's logo is considered classic, but seriously, this is one of the laziest renderings of an animal in sports. It's pretty sad when you ask a high school to stop using their logo and then watch as they commission and use a better, updated version of your own logo.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Not sure if the original poster is aware of this, but both Marquette and DePaul have reputations as being stuffy old Catholic schools that are stuck in the early 20th century and only remain relevant through donations from aging alumni. So I guess in that sense, the logos aren't fitting. But it doesn't change the fact that both logos would be candidates for a TOP 5 list.

Had he posted MU's Golden Chicken on the other hand...

gr_newgoldeneaglegraphic.jpg

Not sure if the original poster is aware of this, but both Marquette and DePaul have reputations as being stuffy old Catholic schools that are stuck in the early 20th century and only remain relevant through donations from aging alumni. So I guess in that sense, the logos aren't fitting. But it doesn't change the fact that both logos would be candidates for a TOP 5 list.

Had he posted MU's Golden Chicken on the other hand...

gr_newgoldeneaglegraphic.jpg

i am aware :grin: , that is kinda why i mentioned the catholic thing

300px-CarolinaColiseum.jpg

I agree on the Iowa State one big time. Terrible downgrade.

The only worse downgrade was St. Johns. The Red Storm logo was awesome and creative, now just another school with plain letters.

As a Catholic, I enjoy seeing Catholic schools with modern logos and find no problem with modernization. I'm not a huge fan of plain, bland, and/or boring logos in any facet.

2ly2w09.jpg

I really don't like the logos that are still around that have the late 70s/early 80s look.

Some examples:

Washington State

washington-state.jpg

Iowa

DU_Iowa_logo.jpg

Kansas State

FF_38633_l.jpg

I think logos like these work well for colleges. To me, the best college identities are ones that use only the school's official colors and are usually simple enough that a child could do a decent mock-up from memory.

ramlogo.JPG?max_width=250

My school has a pretty bad logo. The Ram looks like it's lying down! Here's what it says in my opinion: "I am a sheep, I am tired. I'm going to sleep on these words now."

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Archived