Sabres to unveil new "alternate" Jersey on 9/18

MC Buffalo

from the Sabres Website....

The Sabres will unveil the team?s new 40th anniversary third jersey at an open practice that morning. This classically-designed uniform is a tribute to not only the history of Buffalo hockey, but early NHL jersey designs. The 40th anniversary jersey will now serve as the team?s alternate jersey

I will guess that the tribute to early NHL Jersey Designs means a lace up collar.

The tribute to history of Buffalo Hockey, this one not so sure of.

I thought I had originally heard that they would be making the current third's their regular home jersey, coming out with a white road jersey using the modified original logo (like current third's) and a brand new third jersey as well. Doesn't sound like that is happening now.

from the Sabres Website....

The Sabres will unveil the team's new 40th anniversary third jersey at an open practice that morning. This classically-designed uniform is a tribute to not only the history of Buffalo hockey, but early NHL jersey designs. The 40th anniversary jersey will now serve as the team's alternate jersey

I will guess that the tribute to early NHL Jersey Designs means a lace up collar.

The tribute to history of Buffalo Hockey, this one not so sure of.

I thought I had originally heard that they would be making the current third's their regular home jersey, coming out with a white road jersey using the modified original logo (like current third's) and a brand new third jersey as well. Doesn't sound like that is happening now.

I think this was leaked already - it's the script "Buffalo" with the number under it, like a baseball style.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It's going to be the classic buffalo over crossed sabres logo inside a circle with the team name ala Chicago, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, and, unfortunately, Florida.

The sounds completely horrible, and (thankfully) contrary to all the reports so far.

The tribute to Buffalo's hockey history is (hopefully) the "Buffalo" script from the old Buffalo Bisons AHL logos.

Not sure what the early history of NHL jerseys thing means. Lots of horizontal stripes? A little bit like what Calgary did? The laced-up collar is pretty much a given.

All I know for sure is that the Sabres have been making terrible uniform decisions constantly since 1996. So there's a lot of reason to worry about this thing.

Alot of Sabres fans on other boards are deeply concerned that the Slug will still be here when the season starts. There is a lack of mention of any release date or insider information concerning new road jerseys. At this point, it's very unusual and if I were a die-hard Sabres fan, I'd be panicking too.

But can someone like Colorwerx, who has official sheets tell us if the road jersey is listed as "TBD" or something like that. If he has already seen it, I don't want any "hints" of it's apperence. Just tell us that the Slug is gone so we could all move on and have something good to look foward too.

Alot of Sabres fans on other boards are deeply concerned that the Slug will still be here when the season starts. There is a lack of mention of any release date or insider information concerning new road jerseys. At this point, it's very unusual and if I were a die-hard Sabres fan, I'd be panicking too.

But can someone like Colorwerx, who has official sheets tell us if the road jersey is listed as "TBD" or something like that. If he has already seen it, I don't want any "hints" of it's apperence. Just tell us that the Slug is gone so we could all move on and have something good to look foward too.

I don't know if fans of other teams can appreciate this, but life-long Sabres fans can attest to how completely stupid and incompetent the Buffalo Sabres are. This is not your garden variety incompetence. This is legendary, groundbreaking stuff. People dumb enough to force the Banana Slug on a city don't come along very often.

That said, it could go either way. Maybe they're so incompetent that they forgot to mention the new road uniform in the press release. Or aren't sure when they want to debut it. Or....maybe they're so incompetent that they actually couldn't pull off creating a new road uniform to match their current home uniform in time for this season. Maybe they screwed up the paperwork or didn't fax something to the NHL. (They've lost a draft pick that way in the past.)

So it could go either way.

I'd also love to hear from someone on the board with real info what's going on with my incredibly dumb hockey team.

I am positive the Slug will be gone by the time the Puck Drops this October. Larry Quinn has stated multiple times that the current Alternate logo will become the team's primary, just because we haven't heard an announcement yet doesn't mean its not going to happen. Consider the following...

-Nearly all traces of the Slug logo have been removed the team's web site.

-The Alternate Logo replaced the Slug at Centre Ice a long time ago.

-The Sabres wore their Alternates at home during the playoffs last year.

-The Slugs death has been confirmed on the Reebok Style guides leaked earlier this summer.

Knowing all this do you really think the Sabres would go to the trouble of creating a New Alternate Jersey before they fixed the problem of the current's? Doesnt seem very likely to me. My guess is they will quietly unveil the Road White with the Alternate. From a marketing perspective it makes more sense to promote the Alternate for the 40th Anniversary because A) its a completly new design and not a recolouring of an existing jersey and B because it plays up the history of the franchise and Buffalo Hockey.

While we are on the topic of the Sabres, has anyone ever seen this variation of the retro logo? It is a patch I came across recently and was wondering if anyone knows anything about it.

SabresRetroPatch.png

Here is the regular logo for comparison:

sabresthrowbacklogo.gif

There's so many variations of any logo from the past, especially on older products.

The first variations of the logos on the actual jerseys looked quite different as well

gilbert_perreault.jpg

horton-ftf.jpg

korabFTF.jpg

jim_lorentz.jpg

Sorry for the photo spree there.

bufg.png

Archived