New Orange Bowl Logo

conesbeans

Good on them for finding a sponsor in this tough economy.

I, for one, will miss the goofy smiling orange (not that it was great by any means). It's not a bad logo and in many ways it's superior to the old logo, but this is just another lifeless corporate logo. Plus, the crown doesn't work anymore now that there's no goofy smiling face to give it context and that's before you get realize that it's kind of clumsily rendered in relation to the rest.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

The Discover "O" looks too much like an orange and is distracting.

Discover_Orange_Bowl_lb_NoR.embedded.prod_affiliate.56.JPG

Um, you do realize that that is what Discover's logo looks in the first place, right? Besides, I like it better than that goofy smiling orange.

Yes. I am not from another planet and know what the Discover logo looks like. The competing element of the "O' in the Discover logo combined with the actual orange right above is distracting.

Wasn't this basic rendering of the orange used on the Orange Bowl Committee logo at least a few years back? I found an image of it and it's titled "2008logo.jpg" so I think so.

2008Logo.jpg

The Discover "O" looks too much like an orange and is distracting.

Discover_Orange_Bowl_lb_NoR.embedded.prod_affiliate.56.JPG

Um, you do realize that that is what Discover's logo looks in the first place, right? Besides, I like it better than that goofy smiling orange.

Yes. I am not from another planet and know what the Discover logo looks like. The competing element of the "O' in the Discover logo combined with the actual orange right above is distracting.

Distracting? I think it helps blend the corporate sponsor into the logo very well.

I agree that the smiling orange is far better.

87Redskins.png

What's killing this logo is the fonts. The font used in the both the Discover logo and the "Orange Bowl" are just boring, bland, and dull. I realize that is Discover's logo, but it's still boring and bland. Throw on top of that, the use of orange used for "Orange Bowl" is too much and over the top. If they would've used black, it would tone the logo down a lot and be easier on the eyes.

Good on them for finding a sponsor in this tough economy.

I, for one, will miss the goofy smiling orange (not that it was great by any means). It's not a bad logo and in many ways it's superior to the old logo, but this is just another lifeless corporate logo. Plus, the crown doesn't work anymore now that there's no goofy smiling face to give it context and that's before you get realize that it's kind of clumsily rendered in relation to the rest.

It was not an issue for the Orange Bowl committee, it was more an issue for ESPN since they have the BCS for the next four years and title sponsorship rights for the BCS bowls are sold by ESPN. A reason in which FedEx left passed was on the amount of commercial dollars which ESPN required. The same in terms of commitment goes to Papa John's as they left the Birmingham Bowl in favor of using their money partnering with the NFL.

Well, there you have it...

R.I.P. Obie

Obie will never die, he just gets a new sash, like a pageant contestant. Plus, it's Miami, so he could also receive a facelift.

Archived