Vancouver Baseball

JamieRose

I'm doing a school project for an expansion MLB team called the Vancouver ____. I've gotten a start so far, and I wanted to challenge myself on this one so I'm going to attempt making everything from scratch. I want the logos and the scripts to be all hand made, no shape tools (unless necessary).

First up, what should I call it?

TDZiMMB.png

Someone's gonna bring it up, so it may as well be me. You may want to consider a less racially-insensitive team name.

I don't think Eskimo is a race isn't it a culture? But the logo looks great, only thing i think it needs more to it like the rest of the body or maybe a baseball with like ice around it

Someone's gonna bring it up, so it may as well be me. You may want to consider a less racially-insensitive team name.

I don't think Eskimo is a race isn't it a culture? But the logo looks great, only thing i think it needs more to it like the rest of the body or maybe a baseball with like ice around it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskimo

Yeah if it's a school project, steer clear of the racial names. Last thing you want to have happen is that your teacher turns out to be totally PC and flunks you to make a point.

Plus, Vancouver barely even gets snow, so Eskimos is a bit of a stretch to begin with. If you're going to go indigenous with Vancouver, pick something related to the Haida or maybe totem poles.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskimo

thanks for the clarification.

+1. I was thinking this earlier, but you beat me to the punch. Although to be fair, "Eskimo" is really much more offensive in parts of Canada and Greenland than in the US.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Yeah if it's a school project, steer clear of the racial names. Last thing you want to have happen is that your teacher turns out to be totally PC and flunks you to make a point.

Plus, Vancouver barely even gets snow, so Eskimos is a bit of a stretch to begin with. If you're going to go indigenous with Vancouver, pick something related to the Haida or maybe totem poles.

actually vancouver gets quite alot of snow. if you're reffering to the olympics then we had a terrible year of snow during this past winter. last year however ('08-'09 winter) we got TONS of snow. my car was literally buried in it.

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

actually vancouver gets quite alot of snow. if you're reffering to the olympics then we had a terrible year of snow during this past winter. last year however ('08-'09 winter) we got TONS of snow. my car was literally buried in it.

On the other hand, we only get a year like the one we had a couple of years ago about once a decade.

The Eskimo name might not be that great for something Vancouver associated IMO, we're not really northern enough for that work, where as Edmonton is.

If the OP wants to keep the Eskimo theme, maybe just swap locations, use somewhere in Alaska.

You're kidding me, right?

That's like saying it's racist to name a team Spartans, Seminoles, Navajos, Trojans, Celtics, Vikings, Aztecs, etc...

I understand why "REDSKINS" is considered offensive, but how is naming a team after a tribe, civilization or community of people racially-insensitive? I honestly do not get it at all.

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

You're kidding me, right?

That's like saying it's racist to name a team Spartans, Seminoles, Navajos, Trojans, Celtics, Vikings, Aztecs, etc...

I understand why "REDSKINS" is considered offensive, but how is naming a team after a tribe, civilization or community of people racially-insensitive? I honestly do not get it at all.

In Canada, it is very improper to call someone an Eskimo. Our northern aboriginal peoples are Inuit, and like to be referred to as such.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Aside from any PC issues, a few comments:

1) I actually think its a pretty cool nickname. And I am an ethic minority myself, if that matters (and if it doesn't, then feel free not to comment on that).

2)I'm not sold on the color scheme. Right now it just seems like five weak colors. If I were doing it, I'd try brown, black, and light blue. I'm not envoking BFBS, but rather I think black is needed here to give the design some gravity. Not to mention you would still maintain originality, as no team has those colors right now.

3)The actual logo design is decent. I was going to say it was too generic and non-sports related, but then I realized that I would rather you used what you have used than have some cartoony-looking angry/fierce looking warrior type character. But I would incorporate a baseball somewhere in an alternate logo. Maybe have one alternate logo having something to do with pitching and another having something with a baseball bat.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I honestly think this is a pretty solid design. However, it doesn't feel very "baseball" to me. I could see this being an alternate sleeve logo, but not a primary. The colors are a great choice, though.

Maybe try a baseball cap underneath the furry hood thing? Would kill (and eat raw) two birds with one stone -- something of a baseballish reference, and help with some of the wierd spacing between the face/head and the hood.

In Canada, it is very improper to call someone an Eskimo. Our northern aboriginal peoples are Inuit, and like to be referred to as such.

When I think "Eskimo", I don't think of Canada's First Nation... I think of native Alaskans and Russians who live in the Bering Sea area of the United States (Alaska) and Russia...

And, as you mentioned, when I think of Canadian aboriginals who live in the extreme north (Nunavut, et al.) I think of Inuits. So that makes sense.. do people confuse Inuits with Eskimos in Canada or something? I do know there are a lot of very uneducated people in the United States (just watch "Jay Walking" on Leno, or "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader" for proof), but is Canada the same way?

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

When I think "Eskimo", I don't think of Canada's First Nation... I think of native Alaskans and Russians who live in the Bering Sea area of the United States (Alaska) and Russia...

And, as you mentioned, when I think of Canadian aboriginals who live in the extreme north (Nunavut, et al.) I think of Inuits. So that makes sense.. do people confuse Inuits with Eskimos in Canada or something? I do know there are a lot of very uneducated people in the United States (just watch "Jay Walking" on Leno, or "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader" for proof), but is Canada the same way?

An Eskimo is a derogatory term for an Inuit!

Would I be correct in saying that using Eskimo to describe an Inuit person in Canada is like using the n-word when referring to African-Americans?

6fQjS3M.png

Yeah, you are way off there.

Archived