Vancouver Baseball

JamieRose

In Canada, it is very improper to call someone an Eskimo. Our northern aboriginal peoples are Inuit, and like to be referred to as such.

When I think "Eskimo", I don't think of Canada's First Nation... I think of native Alaskans and Russians who live in the Bering Sea area of the United States (Alaska) and Russia...

And, as you mentioned, when I think of Canadian aboriginals who live in the extreme north (Nunavut, et al.) I think of Inuits. So that makes sense.. do people confuse Inuits with Eskimos in Canada or something? I do know there are a lot of very uneducated people in the United States (just watch "Jay Walking" on Leno, or "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader" for proof), but is Canada the same way?

An Eskimo is a derogatory term for an Inuit!

Would I be correct in saying that using Eskimo to describe an Inuit person in Canada is like using the n-word when referring to African-Americans?

Not quite, it's more like calling a native an Indian, but multiplied by 10. It's not derogatory, it's just wrong and incredibly annoying.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Okay, let us

STOP

Collaborate and Listen

Let's rewind this a bit.

Hi, I'm working on a school project and I'm going to design a baseball team. I'd like to have this team set in Vancouver, BC. What should I call them? I want to stay away from the names already used in the area (Canucks, Canadians, Giants, Grizzlies, Lions). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

PS. One more word about Eskimos and you'll be thrown into a pit of ill-tempered, mutated sea bass with lasers on their frickin heads. Got it? Thank you :)

TDZiMMB.png

VANCOUVER MOUNTIES! I've always wanted to see what it would look like, and it seems like it could be a good name for a baseball team.

Copyright infringement. The RCMP will not allow 'Mounties' or anything to do with their image to be used without a license.

Examples: In Canada, the WWF wrestler 'The Mountie' could not use his gimmick. Also, in the movie Canadian Bacon, the Canadian police are referred to as the 'Royal Mounted Canadian Police'.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Okay, let us

STOP

Collaborate and Listen

Let's rewind this a bit.

Hi, I'm working on a school project and I'm going to design a baseball team. I'd like to have this team set in Vancouver, BC. What should I call them? I want to stay away from the names already used in the area (Canucks, Canadians, Giants, Grizzlies, Lions). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

PS. One more word about Eskimos and you'll be thrown into a pit of ill-tempered, mutated sea bass with lasers on their frickin heads. Got it? Thank you :)

Calm down dude, I'll call the local mental hospital if you want.

Anyway, I don't see what's wrong with Grizzlies, it's not being used right now in Vancouver (that I know of), and I think it's an awesome name.

But anyway, how about Mallards? From what I know about Vancouver (which isn't much), they are common there. Plus, you could open yourself up to an interesting and unique color combo - some combination of green, blue, black, brown, and white. I think it has a decent ring to it as well.

This would also open up to a natural "bird rivalry" in the Canadian teams of the MLB.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

VANCOUVER MOUNTIES! I've always wanted to see what it would look like, and it seems like it could be a good name for a baseball team.

Copyright infringement. The RCMP will not allow 'Mounties' or anything to do with their image to be used without a license.

Examples: In Canada, the WWF wrestler 'The Mountie' could not use his gimmick. Also, in the movie Canadian Bacon, the Canadian police are referred to as the 'Royal Mounted Canadian Police'.

The Grizzlies (NBA) also tried to get the name Mounties originally but were unable to for the same reason.

If you pause this video at 0:17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knQnCPaDGEk

you can see what (I think) was their Mounties logo before it got rejected.

Well remember, this is a school project, and I won't be making money off of this. I actually like the name Mounties, I never even thought of it. Besides, I don't think the RMCP will storm into my class on presentation day and haul me away. My biggest concern was doing something unique, and now knowing that Mounties has pretty much never been used makes it extremely unique. I'm going to wait on making this final to see if we can come up with anything else, but I'm going to start doing a couple mock-ups.

The other names I had in mind were the Stars, Mountaineers (which would look terrible on a jersey front), Waves, Pacifics, and my personal favorite the Bublés.

TDZiMMB.png

Bird names seem popular in MLB. Jays, Cardinals, Orioles, etc.

Some possibilities:

Vancouver Ravens. I seem to recall this was one of the rumoured names for the NBA team prior to the grizzlies moniker being adopted.

Vancouver Eagles (we have lots of Bald Eagles in BC, and even in greater vancouver)

Vancouver Thunderbirds. You could do something First Nations inspired here.

Could also do something with bears. There aren't any grizzlies actually around Vancouver, but if you live in many of the suburbs of the city, you can end up with a black bear in your yard.

Well remember, this is a school project, and I won't be making money off of this. I actually like the name Mounties, I never even thought of it. Besides, I don't think the RMCP will storm into my class on presentation day and haul me away. My biggest concern was doing something unique, and now knowing that Mounties has pretty much never been used makes it extremely unique. I'm going to wait on making this final to see if we can come up with anything else, but I'm going to start doing a couple mock-ups.

The other names I had in mind were the Stars, Mountaineers (which would look terrible on a jersey front), Waves, Pacifics, and my personal favorite the Bublés.

I like the Mounties idea a lot. I used the name for my ULL team the one year I was in it, nitroseed did the logo...it was amazing :)

Mounties would get my vote

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

The Grizzlies (NBA) also tried to get the name Mounties originally but were unable to for the same reason.

If you pause this video at 0:17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knQnCPaDGEk

you can see what (I think) was their Mounties logo before it got rejected.

Interesting, it only appears for a split second, but here's a screencap:

Vancouver.png

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Okay, let us

STOP

Collaborate and Listen

Let's rewind this a bit.

Anyway, I don't see what's wrong with Grizzlies, it's not being used right now in Vancouver (that I know of), and I think it's an awesome name.

But anyway, how about Mallards? From what I know about Vancouver (which isn't much), they are common there. Plus, you could open yourself up to an interesting and unique color combo - some combination of green, blue, black, brown, and white. I think it has a decent ring to it as well.

This would also open up to a natural "bird rivalry" in the Canadian teams of the MLB.

Mallards are one of the most common and widespread ducks in North America. If you're looking for an animal that represents a particular area of the country, that isn't it.

Not thinking too deeply on this, but of everything I've seen, thunderbirds and Black bears stand out the most. Other things to consider.....sea creatures (whales or whatever) and vehicles (any specific boats out there? Some kind of sea-plane with a cool-sounding name?)

Regardless of copyrights or whatever (which for a school thing couldn't be less relavent), I'm not a big fan of "mounties" as a name. Just doesn't have a nice ring to me - sounds kinda silly IMO.

How about something to do with logging? A quick search on wikipedia revealed that Vancouver was originally established as a logging town and there is a person with an axe in their coat of arms.

I think this would be better than "mounties". I agree with Darth that it just doesn't have a nice ring to it.

So my suggestions would be (not in any particular order):

Loggers

Lumberjacks

Jacks

Woodcutters

Their stadium could be known as "The Sawmill"

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

Okay, let us

STOP

Collaborate and Listen

Let's rewind this a bit.

Mallards are one of the most common and widespread ducks in North America. If you're looking for an animal that represents a particular area of the country, that isn't it.

Good point. I still think its a cool name though.

Archived