2010-11 NHL Season Thread

Still MIGHTY

To me, Alain Vigneault, Mike Babcock, and to a lesser extent Guy Boucher should be the finalists for the Adams. Lemaire would be a distant 4th, or 5th maybe.

As much as I hate the Penguins, Dan Bylsma needs to be given strong consideration for keeping that team in the hunt while every worthwhile player they have has been injured, near death, or concussing opposing teams' stars.

I could give Bylsma some consideration there as well, probably in place of Boucher, but its really a pet peeve of mine that coaches of the best teams almost never get consideration for it, like good teams coach themselves or something. I'm not a Wings fan by any stretch, but theres a reason they're consistently at the top of the league and its not always the players.

Yeah, having Datsyuk and Lidstrom have nothing to do with their success. The Wings have been a first place team under their last four coaches.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, and? Datsyuk (whose missed most of the year) and Lidstrom and Zetterberg are all world players, but hows that goaltending of theirs? Any other studs on that defense? I count Kronwall, but everyone else is just average. They get Mike Modano whose scored 3 goals, Todd Bertuzzi who is at best a mediocre power forward with 14 goals. Its absolutely good coaching thats kept them afloat. I am a huge Babcock fan, I think he does things the right way, and hes only been a finalist for the Adams once despite winning a Cup and going to the Finals twice with 2 different teams.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I'm pretty sure Mike Babcock buys his suits from a Farm & Fleet outlet store in Saskatoon. I hold this against his readily apparent coaching ability because I hate the Red Wings that much.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

OK, and? Datsyuk (whose missed most of the year) and Lidstrom and Zetterberg are all world players, but hows that goaltending of theirs? Any other studs on that defense? I count Kronwall, but everyone else is just average. They get Mike Modano whose scored 3 goals, Todd Bertuzzi who is at best a mediocre power forward with 14 goals. Its absolutely good coaching thats kept them afloat. I am a huge Babcock fan, I think he does things the right way, and hes only been a finalist for the Adams once despite winning a Cup and going to the Finals twice with 2 different teams.

Their goaltending is horrible. But being in the top 5 in goals scored helps. Also, their defensive corps is not as bad as people give them credit for. Their 2nd line is better than many 1st lines in the league and their 3rd line could be a 2nd on most teams. Modano (Who btw is my favorite player of all time) has been a corpse this season.

The Wings win because they are loaded with talent. They were a 1st place team under Demeres, Murray, Bowman, Lewis and Babcock.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

Stop all of this Jack Adams Coach of the Year talk, as much as the coaches that have been brought up are deserving, hands down the award will go to Dave Tippett in Phoenix. Nothing against the other coaches, but Tippett has done miracles with a team that has no business being in the playoffs, in a 4th place spot right now. Phoenix is a hard working team, that has out worked just about every other team in the NHL this year and possibly last year.

Look I get your all encompassing hate for the Red Wings, really I do, but sometimes you just gotta call a spade a spade and Mike Babcock is one of the top coaches in the league and deserving of Adams consideration.

"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

The Norris is sort of the "career achievement" award for defensemen since its easy to look at a d-man and say "Oh hes a great defenseman, he hasnt been BAD this year, lets give him the Norris!" more than actually watching how all the defensemen in the league play unless one puts up eye popping numbers.

EDIT: My Norris vote would go to Yandle, BTW.

Two Ducks notes as they're tied 1-1 going into the 3rd in Dallas...

- Hiller was activated off of IR and is backing up Emery tonight. Could start tomorrow in Dallas. And since the Ducks are still under the cap, they'll carry 3 goalies with Hiller/Ellis/Emery.

- I know I'm a Ducks fan, but Lubomir Visnovsky should be at the very least nominated for the Norris right now, and he'd have my vote. He's scored the only goal for the Ducks thusfar tonight to take the defenseman scoring lead with 59 points. And if you look at the Top 5 defensive scorers (Lubo 59, Lidstrom 58, Yandle 57, Enstrom 51, Byfuglien 50) Visnovsky has the highest +/- of those (Lubo +10, Lidstrom -2, Yandle +8, Enstrom -8, Byfuglien -3). And Lubo's main defensive partner, Toni Lydman, leads the NHL in +/- with a +32. And he's played in only 71 games compared to Lidstrom's 74 and Yandle's 75. There has been a marked improvement in his overall defensive play and is taking care of himself at both ends of the ice.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Two Ducks notes as they're tied 1-1 going into the 3rd in Dallas...

- Hiller was activated off of IR and is backing up Emery tonight. Could start tomorrow in Dallas. And since the Ducks are still under the cap, they'll carry 3 goalies with Hiller/Ellis/Emery.

- I know I'm a Ducks fan, but Lubomir Visnovsky should be at the very least nominated for the Norris right now, and he'd have my vote. He's scored the only goal for the Ducks thusfar tonight to take the defenseman scoring lead with 59 points. And if you look at the Top 5 defensive scorers (Lubo 59, Lidstrom 58, Yandle 57, Enstrom 51, Byfuglien 50) Visnovsky has the highest +/- of those (Lubo +10, Lidstrom -2, Yandle +8, Enstrom -8, Byfuglien -3). And Lubo's main defensive partner, Toni Lydman, leads the NHL in +/- with a +32. And he's played in only 71 games compared to Lidstrom's 74 and Yandle's 75. There has been a marked improvement in his overall defensive play and is taking care of himself at both ends of the ice.

Leader in D man scoring and leading the league in +/-, he is making a strong case for himself.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

Teemu Selanne must be on something. Every goal the guy scores is with less than 4:00 minutes left and is game tying or game winning. The Ducks are winning in exciting new ways almost every game. What a team to watch. Comebacks...penalty shots in overtime...defenseman hat tricks...I don't know what the hell is going on.

The Norris is sort of the "career achievement" award for defensemen since its easy to look at a d-man and say "Oh hes a great defenseman, he hasnt been BAD this year, lets give him the Norris!" more than actually watching how all the defensemen in the league play unless one puts up eye popping numbers.

Okay, well, can we at least ask our defenseman of the year to finish out the season with, um, a positive differential? Lidstrom's the last guy in the world who needs a career achievement Norris, inasmuch as his broom closet is full to bursting with actual achievement Norrises. He doesn't need one more for the road.

http://www.sbnation....lties-2010-2011

Leading the league in boarding, charging, hits from behind, clipping, elbowing, kneeing, aaaand roughing? Why, it's your pugnacious Pittsburgh Penguins! Whose act needs cleaning up now, Mario?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Teemu Selanne must be on something. Every goal the guy scores is with less than 4:00 minutes left and is game tying or game winning. The Ducks are winning in exciting new ways almost every game. What a team to watch. Comebacks...penalty shots in overtime...defenseman hat tricks...I don't know what the hell is going on.

I mean really? Who else was going to score that tying goal?

Teemu just can't retire. He shouldn't retire. He's still having fun. He's healthy. He's producing. I see absolutely no reason that he should retire, other than him not wanting to go through another full season of workouts/practices/etc. He'd play a full season of games, just not everything that goes with it.

I mean, look at him:

selanne-hops-o.gif

God I love that guy.

He just can't. I won't let him. Ducks fans won't let him. The Ducks shouldn't let him.

Whenever he does retire, he'll be the first guy with his number in the rafters. He'll be the first guy with a bronze statue out front (maybe replace the Wildwing statue with a Teemu Selanne statue).

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Okay, well, can we at least ask our defenseman of the year to finish out the season with, um, a positive differential? Lidstrom's the last guy in the world who needs a career achievement Norris, inasmuch as his broom closet is full to bursting with actual achievement Norrises. He doesn't need one more for the road.

http://www.sbnation....lties-2010-2011

Leading the league in boarding, charging, hits from behind, clipping, elbowing, kneeing, aaaand roughing? Why, it's your pugnacious Pittsburgh Penguins! Whose act needs cleaning up now, Mario?

No surprise to see Danny Brière leading the Cheating penalties either.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Archived