Minnesota vs. Minnesota

Viper

If you've been to Target Field or seen any televised games there, by now you've probably noticed that one corner of Target Center is plainly visible just beyond right field. Well, the Timberwolves have noticed too, and have now installed a huge billboard in that corner of their building, just in time for the Twins' postseason run. Needless to say, the Twins aren't happy.

While the Twins always understood an ambush on the ballpark was possible, the sheer size of the proposed signage is shocking. We feel particularly bad about how we don't see a dime of ad revenue from it this signage dominates the new civic gathering place known as Target Plaza.

CCSLC signature.png

They should install seats on top of the Target Center. That would piss the Twins off even more.

Off topic - I hate how "center" has become the generic term for nearly every indoor pro-sports arena. It's worse than "park" in baseball and "field" in football. Bring me back to the days of the Saddledome, Northlands Coliseum, Le Colisee, Maple Leaf / Boston / Madison Square Garden, The Spectrum, and even the Cow Palace (among others.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So, letsseehere... The Twins have been cashing checks from Target all season to have enormous 'Target Field' signs on every side of the building (and even inside it) that can probably be seen from space, but when the Wolves put up an advertisement on their own property, the Twins cry foul? Marketing 101: put the ad where you know people will see it. If the Twins brass didn't think that an open area of the stadium would attract some sort of outside advertising, they're idiots. They should have closed in the entire perimeter if they were against outside advertising to such a degree. The Wolves are being smart and making the most of their situation.

This, I can say: At least the offending ad is repping a hospital. It could be repping a corporate glutton, like, oh, I don't know, I guess, whatever the Minnesota version of Walmart is, or something.

Target_Field_sign_e2f9.JPG

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

IMO, taking two point guards back to back in the same draft and then drafting only forwards the next year ranks slightly higher on the Wacko Scale than guaranteeing a sports championship in Cleveland.

I agree that David Kahn is bat*** crazy. But both Gilbert and Kahn are worthy of the Hall of Shame.

So, letsseehere... The Twins have been cashing checks from Target all season to have enormous 'Target Field' signs on every side of the building (and even inside it) that can probably be seen from space, but when the Wolves put up an advertisement on their own property, the Twins cry foul? Marketing 101: put the ad where you know people will see it. If the Twins brass didn't think that an open area of the stadium would attract some sort of outside advertising, they're idiots. They should have closed in the entire perimeter if they were against outside advertising to such a degree. The Wolves are being smart and making the most of their situation.

This, I can say: At least the offending ad is repping a hospital. It could be repping a corporate glutton, like, oh, I don't know, I guess, whatever the Minnesota version of Walmart is, or something.

Target_Field_sign_e2f9.JPG

Thank you. The Photoshop job ESPN used for its article was edited from a picture taken before advertising was put up at the ballpark, which is quite misleading. As you can see in the NBC article, the Twins have a similarly sized Target/Delta sign just to the left of the advertisement in question.

Wow, what a stupid thing for a team to complain about when their own stadium is loaded with ads. If they don't like it, they can put up a wall or a screen on their own property to block the sign. Otherwise, quit crying because you're not getting any money for someone else's good idea.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Zero sympathy for the Twins from this corner. Let's face it, they clearly have no issue with ads given that Target Field is festooned with them. Their only problem with it, as Viper pointed out, is not getting a cut. Cry me a river.

Off topic - I hate how "center" has become the generic term for nearly every indoor pro-sports arena. It's worse than "park" in baseball and "field" in football. Bring me back to the days of the Saddledome, Northlands Coliseum, Le Colisee, Maple Leaf / Boston / Madison Square Garden, The Spectrum, and even the Cow Palace (among others.)

I suspect that this is an inevitable function of widespread corporate sponsorship. If a place was called Consolidated Pickle Corporation Arena/Coliseum/Palace/Pyramid/Spectrum/Forum etc., then everyone would probably just end up referring to it by the latter and omit the corporate name. But if you just say "center", no one will know what the hell you mean unless you specifically include the corporate sponsor name. Very crafty, unlike the Minnesota Twins.

I do believe that WOULD be Target.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

The Twins win this dispute by default. Nobody even knows who the Wolves are, so who will take their side?

Not unlike how nobody cares about the Rays-Twins ALDS series. Well, except you, of course :P

Who are the Angels playing in October this year? ^_^

The Twins win this dispute by default. Nobody even knows who the Wolves are, so who will take their side?

Not unlike how nobody cares about the Rays-Twins ALDS series. Well, except you, of course :P

The Texas Rangers.

I saw, I came, I left.

The Texas Rangers.

I was referring to the playoffs, but at least the Angels are technically playing in October for yet another season...

The Texas Rangers.

I was referring to the playoffs, but at least the Angels are technically playing in October for yet another season...

Pirates too!

Archived