I'm curious about the Edmonton Oilers.

DallasSports

God forbid they should figure out a way to make a white version of the bastardized retro home jersey.

Really, if they want an alternate, they should go back to their original orange w/blue trim road jerseys, with the "Oilers" in orange and the blue flame, which for a team named "Oilers," makes a hell of a lot of sense.

preview_748_41658.jpg

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Nearly all of their merchandise and marketing materials have been using the vintage colours since that uniform was unveiled. There has to be something, either from elsewhere in the organization or from the league, preventing a full switch.

they also didn't wear their home jersey at all during the preseason. just their navy and copper road and alternate.

they pretty much don't know what they're doing.

I'm pretty sure that is just a matter of recycling the training camp / preseason jerseys from previous years. I bet most teams do this, keeping the oddball numbered jerseys and just changing the nameplates each season. A lot of these are probably the same ones they first used after the lame-o Edge switch.

God forbid they should figure out a way to make a white version of the bastardized retro home jersey.

Really, if they want an alternate, they should go back to their original orange w/blue trim road jerseys, with the "Oilers" in orange and the blue flame, which for a team named "Oilers," makes a hell of a lot of sense.

preview_748_41658.jpg

Just curious, how exactly has that jersey been "bastardized?" The only major difference between it and the Gretzky Era originals is the collar...

with the "Oilers" in orange and the blue flame, which for a team named "Oilers," makes a hell of a lot of sense.

Does this make sense to anyone else, oilers in orange? blue flame?

The 70s were a crazy time, sport.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

The Oilers official home jersey is the retro blue and orange. The official alternate is the navy blue. The official away is the white.

The Oil debuted the retro as an alternate, and it was so popular, they decided to switch it with the navy.

They still wear the navy during the pre-season probably because they feel it's "less special" and want to save the retro for the regular season only.

I don't see how that is so confusing.. who cares what they wear in the pre-season?

HAY GUYZ THE RED WINGS DIDN'T HAVE ARCHED LETTERS ON THEIR JERSEYS IN PRESEASON, DOES THIS MEAN IT'S CHANGING?

On the bright side, none of this has really happened yet this year.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

HAY GUYZ THE RED WINGS DIDN'T HAVE ARCHED LETTERS ON THEIR JERSEYS IN PRESEASON, DOES THIS MEAN IT'S CHANGING?

The funny thing is, as I was watching a couple preseason games, I was laughing about this subject, but I did notice they were using a block-serif. Has that been used in the past or was it new for the preseason this year?

The funny thing is, as I was watching a couple preseason games, I was laughing about this subject, but I did notice they were using a block-serif. Has that been used in the past or was it new for the preseason this year?

Nope. It's an annual thing -- they've been doing this for years...

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

The Oilers blue and orange is retina searing bad. Their matching away and alternate sure aren't perfect in their current state but I think those colors are much, much better than their vintage sets. They just don't translate well to today, imo. They should have stuck with that gear logo from the old third jersey. Could have taken the team to a new and better place logo-wise.

Maybe it's because I'm watching the Avs, who look like a bunch of dull lumps, but I would welcome some "retina-searing" from the Oilers. I like bright colors.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I've said it before, but I'll use this opportunity to say it again.

The Oilers and the Islanders have now both ruined their identity by doing the exact same things.

Bright orange and bright blue look terrible together. I really do cringe when I see their uniforms. Even if they had to keep those shades, they could be better utilized. You won't find a bigger fan of orange than myself, but it needs to be used in smaller doses by both teams (assuming a bright blue background).

Additionally, both teams retro uniforms have small inconsistencies with the striping that are bothersome.

If only they could clean up the stripes and use colors more pleasing to the eyes, they might have great looks... So yeah. Bring back the mid 90s to mid 2000s uniforms and they'd be perfect.

Retro can be nice when a team has completely abandoned a certain look. The Canucks are a decent example. But in the case of the Islanders and Oilers and also the Flyers, they too uniforms* that were still based on the originals and just undid all the really good design modifications made to them over 20 years. It's just stupid.

(*-The Islanders a little and the Oilers a lot came out with terrible uniforms when EDGE was introduced, so there was already a departure from good. But they took too many steps backward trying to correct it.)

The Islanders, like the Knicks, based their colors on those of the state of New York and so it wouldn't make sense to use navy instead of royal. Midnight blue and copper were a pretty good color combo for the Oilers but I never for the life of me understood the red trim. Someone, please, explain the red trim. It just muddled things up. Had they replaced the red with copper, it would've been a nice update, but it's still preferable to have the Oilers forever look like The Oilers.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived