2010-11 NBA Season

gingerbreadmann

So if and when (more likely "when", I know) Allen breaks the record tonight, he will do it while wearing a throwback. Not a very distinguishable throwback, but a throwback nonetheless. That sort of bothers me, because the picture taken of him taking that shot will be of him in the throwback, and I think it might confuse people (or more specifically, uniform nerds) in the future as to what Boston's uniforms looked like this season. Not a big deal, but I guess this is an appropriate site to make a small complaint about something like that.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, I'm surprised. I mean I guess his time to leave was going to come sooner or later, but why mid-season? They're most likely going to make the playoffs, and we're in the second half of the season. So why not call it quits after one more playoff push and end things on a high/respectable/happy note? That way something could have really been planned for him. Now he's going to go out as the guy who quit on his team (although with a great legacy otherwise). I guess it had to come down to politics of some sort. I wonder who will take over his job.

Because it was more likely he was going to secure a brace of dueling pistols and tell Deron Williams to choose a second. At some point, putting up with crap isn't worth it, especially if the happy end seems unlikely and you're not getting management support (BTW-define "happy end". It can't be another second round flameout)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Wow, I'm surprised. I mean I guess his time to leave was going to come sooner or later, but why mid-season? They're most likely going to make the playoffs, and we're in the second half of the season. So why not call it quits after one more playoff push and end things on a high/respectable/happy note? That way something could have really been planned for him. Now he's going to go out as the guy who quit on his team (although with a great legacy otherwise). I guess it had to come down to politics of some sort. I wonder who will take over his job.

Because it was more likely he was going to secure a brace of dueling pistols and tell Deron Williams to choose a second. At some point, putting up with crap isn't worth it, especially if the happy end seems unlikely and you're not getting management support (BTW-define "happy end". It can't be another second round flameout)

I meant a "happy end" in that he wouldn't abruptly leave mid-season after a halftime argument with a player during a loss, but rather leave after yet again taking his team to the playoffs and then losing. I think another playoff flameout would have been more respectable than just walking away after an argument during a regular season game.

I know why he left though, I even said it had to have come down to politics in my post.

Going down in flames sounds cooler from the Hollywood perspective, but if you ain't gonna win a championship, why stick around in a situation that is increasingly bad?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I meant a "happy end" in that he wouldn't abruptly leave mid-season after a halftime argument with a player during a loss, but rather leave after yet again taking his team to the playoffs and then losing. I think another playoff flameout would have been more respectable than just walking away after an argument during a regular season game.

I have to agree. Jerry Sloan has been one of basketball's great hardasses since his days alongside Norm Van Lier on the punch-everyone-in-the-mouth iteration of the Bulls. To see him just throw up his hands and say "I'm too old for this crap" when confronted with some bad-attitude guy is disheartening and a reminder of the inexorable march of time that will claim us all.

Speaking of the Bulls, I hope he'll be offered a consulting job with them. That the Bulls have apparently poached like half the Utah Jazz of the last five years would give him a head start. Sloan worked with one of the three best point guards of all time; I'd love to get in the gym with Derrick Rose.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't think anyone has conferred greatness on this year's Lakers yet, have they? They're leading a mediocre division and coasting till the playoffs. Pretty much what we expected from a team of 30-year-olds.

Nice article and video about Tyrone Corbin becoming the new Jazz coach:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=294&sid=14333415

I only post this because from the sound of it, this isn't an interim position. It appears from what I can gather so far that Corbin will be here to stay, and that's not a bad thing at all. I'm looking forward to him coaching, and hope that he has success and does indeed stay.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Is it safe to say that this year's Lakers are one of the worst "great" teams in recent memory? They're getting demolished by the Celtics right now and they still haven't won a "big" matchup in a long time.

I turned on the game thinking that they were actually getting demolished. It's 88-79 Lakers late in the 4th. Wat.

EDIT: You are right, though. The Lakers really haven't looked at all like the best team in the league at any point in the season. Yet, I still have a feeling that they're probably gonna turn the switch on come playoff time. Still, the three-peat definitely isn't a slam dunk like most of us thought it would be.

Is it safe to say that this year's Lakers are one of the worst "great" teams in recent memory? They're getting demolished by the Celtics right now and they still haven't won a "big" matchup in a long time.

Lakers win 92-86.

There are times where you should really shut the fvck up. Let the games end before you start making declarations about how good certain teams are.

Hey look at that the Lakers won. No demolition.

And yeah, for the most part the Lakers are on cruise control. They're not getting too high on their wins, or too low on their losses. No real drama. They're a team that's gone to 3 consecutive Finals, back-to-back titles. They are trying to stay sharp and healthy.

This is a team that's all about the playoffs.

Really, as a Laker fan, the only team that kinda scares me is the Spurs. But they've gotta slow down at some point right? And most likely, the Lakers wouldn't play them until the West Finals.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

It's actually better most likely for the Knicks tomorrow that the Lakers won tonight.

Except for the fact that Kobe loves the Garden, and loves making a show, and the Lakers on the whole are better than the Knicks.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

So if and when (more likely "when", I know) Allen breaks the record tonight, he will do it while wearing a throwback. Not a very distinguishable throwback, but a throwback nonetheless. That sort of bothers me, because the picture taken of him taking that shot will be of him in the throwback, and I think it might confuse people (or more specifically, uniform nerds) in the future as to what Boston's uniforms looked like this season. Not a big deal, but I guess this is an appropriate site to make a small complaint about something like that.

Reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02zXy54p7UA

That is one of the best plays I've ever seen, Wade just completely took over and capped it in credible fashion. He wentup to celebrate with the crowd on the scorers table, and turns around to reveala the "EL HEAT" jersey. Kiiiiiiiinda ruined the moment.

Speaking of the Bulls, I hope he'll be offered a consulting job with them. That the Bulls have apparently poached like half the Utah Jazz of the last five years would give him a head start. Sloan worked with one of the three best point guards of all time; I'd love to get in the gym with Derrick Rose.

Oh god, don't taunt me like this. Sloan and Thibs? Mind-blowing.That is who you want to coach hard-nosed basketball. Maybe he could get Bogans out of the lineup, too. But I dont want to get greedy

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Going down in flames sounds cooler from the Hollywood perspective, but if you ain't gonna win a championship, why stick around in a situation that is increasingly bad?

Because they could have at least have anticipated his departure better and it would have been on better and more appropriate terms. If he had announced that he was leaving at the end of the season, the organization could have come up with a better way to honor him. If you were one of the longest-tenured and most respected members of your field, how would you rather leave your job: After heated publicized argument with someone you work with, or a ride off into the sunset?

And what I'm saying is that regardless of this "argument" that was happening, the team was still playing pretty well, as usual. I would be pretty pleased if my team was 31-23 in the Western Conference.

I'm not blaming him for leaving at all, he knows what he's doing and he obviously made the choice he thought was best. Things must have been pretty :censored:ed up behind the scenes for him to leave the way he did.

They're probably going to flip Omer Asik for Courtney Lee so that the Bulls have a real shooting guard again and the Rockets have a center who isn't like 6'4". That should pretty much banish Bogans to the land of wind and ghosts. Maybe flip him for a replacement-level center that won't be needed once Noah is back and Thomas is the backup.

It is safe to say that the Lakers don't give two s**ts about the regular season. We only care about the postseason, which is something the Clippers of no knowledge of. The Clippers have been to the playoffs, like what? 5-6 times? Lakers have only missed 5 times.

Lakers on pace for another 56-58 win season, which is all they need. Come playoff time, no one will beat us.

Not sure if too many people remember this, but uhh, last year, we weren't too hot against the top teams. Didn't matter back then, like it doesn't now.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Archived