NFL Weekly Uniform Notes

Bmac

I'm 47, and I prefer more of the modern looks compared to most of these old and stale throwbacks.

In most cases, there were good reasons for abandoning a prior look...most, but not all (I will concede).

Come on, Colarwerx. Get with the program.

I just hope people don't call you names (like embilcile and idiot) too. Of course they won't, because those people doing that don't have the sack to call you out.

There are a few classic looks, that look good. The Giants, the Steelers and the Colts come to mind (although they need to ditch those stripes on the jersey that don't work today with the way the uniforms are cut today).

But the "we need to trot out a throwback, just because" stuff that you see from many teams is PLAYED OUT. And like Werx said, we see there are very good reasons why that stuff isn't worn anymore.....it looks like crap.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm 47, and I prefer more of the modern looks compared to most of these old and stale throwbacks.

In most cases, there were good reasons for abandoning a prior look...most, but not all (I will concede).

Come on, Colarwerx. Get with the program.

I just hope people don't call you names (like embilcile and idiot) too. Of course they won't, because those people doing that don't have the sack to call you out.

There are a few classic looks, that look good. The Giants, the Steelers and the Colts come to mind (although they need to ditch those stripes on the jersey that don't work today with the way the uniforms are cut today).

But the "we need to trot out a throwback, just because" stuff that you see from many teams is PLAYED OUT. And like Werx said, we see there are very good reasons why that stuff isn't worn anymore.....it looks like crap.

Seriously dude, people aren't calling you names because you don't like throwbacks. People call you names because you act like a jerk. My guess is if Colorwerx acted like you, people would call him an idiot too.

BB52Big.jpg

These threads are becoming tiresome. Know why? Because opinions are subjective, i.e. they're feelings, and you can't argue with feelings. So every week turns into a tug of war between opinions - the old schoolers vs. those that prefer the newer designs. It's all turned into blah blah blah.

And BTW, name-calling (even if warranted in your opinion) should be below the discussion here.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

These threads are becoming tiresome. Know why? Because opinions are subjective, i.e. they're feelings, and you can't argue with feelings. So every week turns into a tug of war between opinions - the old schoolers vs. those that prefer the newer designs. It's all turned into blah blah blah.

And BTW, name-calling (even if warranted in your opinion) should be below the discussion here.

Usually I agree with you. dennisbergan, however, is a troll in every sense of the word. He says things he knows will get a response out of people, he refuses to engage in a civilized, well-mannered discussion, and he insults other uses.

Oh Dennie boy it's imbecile not embilcile.

What's up with DeAngelo Hall's sleeve stripes? He's got a modified maroon/yellow/thick maroon/yellow/maroon striping. It appears to be an additional piece of fabric sewn into the already existing stripes. No great pics, but here's a few. Interested to find a close up.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2010/09000d5d81bbe42f_gallery_600.jpg

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2010/09000d5d81bbf3f8_gallery_600.jpg

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2010/09000d5d81bc1197_gallery_600.jpg

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2010/09000d5d81bc1cbd_gallery_600.jpg

I noticed it during the game, then looked closer and saw that the bottom burgundy "stripe" is on the edge of the shoulder pad, not on the jersey.

The way his jersey sleeves fit makes the pads stick out.

87Redskins.png

My guess is if Colorwerx acted like you, people would call him an idiot too.

Oh, I've had my moments...

:P

We all have our moments.

We are all Cardinals?

RE: 80s v. 60s Patriot throwbacks: Even though the pads are lower-profile and there's less uniform material now, the 80s look still appears to be just plain clunky compared to the 60s look. There's more balance (even though all the stripes are different) in the 60s look. White helmet with a subtle facemask (in grey), red jersey without extra adornment (i.e. no outlines on the numbers and the shoulder stripes aren't even as loud as they're blue-white-blue instead of white-blue-white), white pants and red socks. With the 80's look, you've got that gaudy white facemask (which can look good on a helmet that isn't white), and white socks. The only thing that's red is the jersey. It's hard for me to look at and think, "Now there's a good looking uniform." It's OK, but it definitely harkens back to the 80s when in so many cases shoulder pads were twice the size of what they are now and players wore white shoes with white socks.

Without further adieu here is this week's episode of "Make Dennis Bergan's head explode." With two teams wearing throwbacks, this week must have really irked our buddy Dennis Bergan.

Best looking games this week...

1. Packers - Jets: It's too bad that the actual game came nowhere near being as good as the uniforms looked. One of the best road looks in the NFL facing off against one of the best uniforms in the NFL. Perfection.

Packers_Jets_Football.sff_73875_game.jpgPackers_Jets_Football.sff_73988_game.jpg

2. Seahawks - Raiders: Ever notice that with all the "their look is outdated" etc. talk we hear about teams with "classic" uniforms, the Raiders are rarely mentioned in the conversation. There's a reason for that; they have perfect uniforms. Great match up of classic and modern.

Seahawks_Raiders_Football.sff_74123_game.jpgSeahawks_Raiders_Football.sff_74131_game.jpg

3. Redskins - Lions: The Lions "new" look has really grown on me. I still don't like the "font for font's sake" numbers but for an "update" it's not bad. Throw in the Redskins and it's this week's #3 best.

Redskins_Lions_Football.sff_74076_game.jpg

4. Panthers - Rams: While I don't think the Rams throwbacks are better than their current look, this was still a pretty good looking game. One team in throwbacks and the other in all white. This game probably beat me to the punch on making a certain someone's head explode.

Panthers_Rams_Football.sff_73901_game.jpg

This week's worst looking games...

Luckily for us, there weren't any real disasters this week. Every game had at least one good looking uniform.

Other notes:

Patriots throwbacks: The old Patriots helmet is about the only thing that is better than their current look. As much as I love throwbacks, that Patriots set just looks dated. I really think that a blue jersey with the old helmets and pants would look fantastic. Until then, other than the helmet, they just aren't that great.

Rams throwbacks: They're OK mostly due to the color scheme. Blue and yellow looks good. Still, if they really want to wear a killer throwback they need to go to these...

roman_gabriel.jpg

Cardinals black alts: Count me among those that aren't fans of "black for the sake of black." That said, if the Cardinals got rid of the totally unnecessary white "stripes" on the jersey, kept the red trim, and made the pants stripes straight with that color scheme, they would look really good. Yeah, I realize that the Cardinals are "supposed" to use red as a primary color but isn't the bird on the helmet more than enough of a representation of their name? I just think they really had a cool look today. Fix the nonsense and it could really work.

And that concludes this week's episode. Be sure to tune in again next week.

My turn.

Best looking games

1. Seahawks vs Raiders

2. Panthers vs Rams

3. Broncos vs 49ers

Worst looking games

1. Bills vs Chiefs :P

2. Buccaneers vs Cardinals

Most of the rest of the games in week 8 were okay looking games.

Archived