Omaha Storm Chasers

Ez Street

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off, I love the IronPigs stuff. Their set is a perfect balance of a minor league identity with enough professionalism in their look in my opinion.

And for Omaha, it seems like there's a lot of different, maybe too much, stuff going on. They have about 4 different types of fonts and a weird mixture of navy and royal blue. But I Love that alternate cap.

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

Plan B's sense of whimsy (and anyone else's) tops out at Double-A for me. I sort of expect Triple-A teams to be a smidge more professional than a childlike grinning tornado with a bat for a nose.

I'm with you. Gimmicks are fine and great for <=AA, but IMO AAA should be pretty professional. I liked the Phillies Sranton-Wilkes Barre Red Barons identity up until the end, and now they've turned their AAA into a total joke in the form of the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs. It's a shame Ryne Sandberg has to wear that uniform now.

Aw, yeah, the Red Barons were awesome. What a name, and I loved that SWB hat.

This is a strange thread to see Red Barons love. But I'll take it. The Yankees scrubbed every reference to my childhood team when they moved in and I'll never forgive them. They also ditched the SWB hat because "the B looked too much like the B on a Red Sox cap."

I digress. Back on topic. Sorry.

The Yankees scrubbed every reference to my childhood team when they moved in and I'll never forgive them. They also ditched the SWB hat because "the B looked too much like the B on a Red Sox cap."

T'wasn't the Yankees - it was the team itself.

The Yankees have never made conforming to the parent club's name a condition of affiliation, but Lackawanna County was obviously convinced that they'd sell more merchandise that way.

And as for the cap logo quote, I'm calling BS on that.

63-00922-J.jpg

Because it doesn't.

The mishmash of cartoonish logos aside, why on earth do their home and road sets have completely different color schemes? Is it some Jekyl & Hyde thing? Do they turn into an alter ego on the road, signified by wearing gold and black instead of blue and black?

The Yankees scrubbed every reference to my childhood team when they moved in and I'll never forgive them. They also ditched the SWB hat because "the B looked too much like the B on a Red Sox cap."

T'wasn't the Yankees - it was the team itself.

The Yankees have never made conforming to the parent club's name a condition of affiliation, but Lackawanna County was obviously convinced that they'd sell more merchandise that way.

And as for the cap logo quote, I'm calling BS on that.

63-00922-J.jpg

Because it doesn't.

I should have clarified that it was SWB Yankees, LLC, a management entity run by Mandalay Baseball Properties and the New York Yankees, that ultimately adopted the name of the parent club. Whether a certain ex-county commissioner had something to do with that is irrelevant. There are larger issues there that could really sidetrack this thread. As for the SWB cap logo quote, it certainly seems implausible when comparing the Bs, but I'll take the word of the sources. The Red in Red Barons was, in any event, a nod to the Scranton Red Sox. That can't be good for a team affiliated with the Yanks.

I've always wondered what Plan B would have done with a name like the Red Barons. Although that won't change after seeing what happened to the Omaha Royals, I'm really not a fan of a Triple-A team wearing lightning bolt numbers on their jerseys.

Plan B's sense of whimsy (and anyone else's) tops out at Double-A for me. I sort of expect Triple-A teams to be a smidge more professional than a childlike grinning tornado with a bat for a nose.

I'm with you. Gimmicks are fine and great for <=AA, but IMO AAA should be pretty professional. I liked the Phillies Sranton-Wilkes Barre Red Barons identity up until the end, and now they've turned their AAA into a total joke in the form of the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs. It's a shame Ryne Sandberg has to wear that uniform now.

Agreed on all accounts.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

A good AAA logo should look like it's just short of the bigs. There should be elements to it that make you take it seriously as something more than the background noise for Wacky Promotion Night, but it should stop short of the iconic simplicity that comes with major league teams.

4527.gif4556.gif6741.gif4830.gif4872.gif4841.gif0hzcywpciaz5gei1jlh0y62m8.gif

I feel these logos exemplify that sensibility pretty well.

Failing that, you can just gank your parent team's stuff and slap a new city name on it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived