Omaha Storm Chasers

Ez Street

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In other words, Storm Chasers=Golden Spikes.

I guess they'll be the Omaha Royals again in 2012.

That is certainly the feeling here in Omaha. Everyone I have talked too said they aren't buying anything with Storm Chasers on it and are just waiting until they change back to the Royals again. Most people seem to like the logos though. Especially the O/bolt logo.

A good AAA logo should look like it's just short of the bigs. There should be elements to it that make you take it seriously as something more than the background noise for Wacky Promotion Night, but it should stop short of the iconic simplicity that comes with major league teams.

4527.gif4556.gif6741.gif4830.gif4872.gif4841.gif0hzcywpciaz5gei1jlh0y62m8.gif

I feel these logos exemplify that sensibility pretty well.

Failing that, you can just gank your parent team's stuff and slap a new city name on it.

I agree with you on the Tides, Red Barons and OKC logos. The Sounds logo has way too much stuff going on. The Rainers mountain is too detailed and looks like a big blob. and the O Royals looks like someone dropped a bat in it just to make sure people knew it was a baseball logo. There are many good examples of quality MiLB logos. The Durham Bulls and New Orleans Zephyrs to name two.

Everyone loves a roundel.

A good AAA logo should look like it's just short of the bigs. There should be elements to it that make you take it seriously as something more than the background noise for Wacky Promotion Night, but it should stop short of the iconic simplicity that comes with major league teams.

Failing that, you can just gank your parent team's stuff and slap a new city name on it.

I disagree. I think minor league logos should be fun and a little wacky... creative more than anything. Minor league ball is what baseball should be about... a bunch of young kids living the dream. Traveling in a bus going from state to state playing in front of a couple thousand people just trying to make it to the bigs.

I love minor league logos... I hate when they are unimaginative and a plain. I agree when you say that major league logos should be a bit more conservative and iconic... but I think minor league logos should be fun. I love the different color combinations, different logos on hats, rather than just seeing the first letter of a city on a hat like all the Major league teams have.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I disagree. I think minor league logos should be fun and a little wacky... creative more than anything. Minor league ball is what baseball should be about... a bunch of young kids living the dream. Traveling in a bus going from state to state playing in front of a couple thousand people just trying to make it to the bigs.

I love minor league logos... I hate when they are unimaginative and a plain. I agree when you say that major league logos should be a bit more conservative and iconic... but I think minor league logos should be fun. I love the different color combinations, different logos on hats, rather than just seeing the first letter of a city on a hat like all the Major league teams have.

I don't think anybody's disputing that minor league logos should be fun. The point is that it should come in varying degrees and be minimized the closer you get to the major league level.

Wacky and creative is perfect for A and AA clubs in small markets, where gameday atmosphere is part ballgame, part carnival and teams compete for the family entertainment dollar with the shopping malls, movie theaters, and Chuck E. Cheese.

But AAA teams need to display a higher-level of brand sophistication. It's one step away from the bigs and the brand needs to send that signal. That can still happen while showcasing a sense of whimsy. It just needs to be a few steps removed from something you'd see on a Saturday morning cartoon or the front of a cereal box.

Right...for AA, A, Rookie, indy ball. AAA is a different beast: these are your guys who are being shuffled to and from the majors over the year, or minor league mainstays. Also, look at the cities on the circuits: Nashville, Indianapolis, Durham, Buffalo, Sacramento, Charlotte, New Orleans, Memphis, and Columbus are major-league towns in other sports. Norfolk, Omaha, Des Moines, Las Vegas, and Louisville are mid-sized metropolitan areas and hardly bus-league backwaters. You're playing in front of a bit more than "a couple thousand people" in AAA parks, or at least you certainly should be. I'm not saying I dream of a AAA where every team dresses in Detroit Tigers hand-me-downs, but I think teams' identities have to be treated with just a bit of gravity. It's the most delicate balance to strike among the levels of baseball, in my opinion.

I love me some Montgomery Biscuits and Beloit Snappers, though.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I agree with that to a point, but I agree with the admiral that the whimsy and wacky sort of wears off after AA. In the lower levels you do have a bunch of young kids living the dream, but once they get to AAA, it becomes more of a business. Almost every AAA player wants nothing more than to be out of there and up playing in the majors. Almost everyone playing in Omaha wants to be a Royal and having the club be called the "Royals" - in my mind - gives you a sense that you're almost there. Getting called up to AAA and adopting another force fed, "cartoony" nickname doesn't seem to instill much pride.

Medium-sized Midwestern cities like Omaha (and Des Moines, where I used to live) are hard-working, no-nonsense cities with a sense of pride in their history. They know their place in the landscape of professional sports and they embrace it. Their fans support the teams and go to the games because they know they're watching the infancy of some future superstars. They know they're in on something special before the rest of the world discovers it. To them, that is much more fun than having fancy uniforms or watching crazy mascots dance around between innings.

Southern California won't think too highly of that interlocking logo; prepare for legal action.

Nonsense.

Unless the Omaha club decides to try to take away the school's right to own its marks, as Carolina did, there won't be any issue.

How did I know you'd be the first to reply to that comment? :P

I still disagree. AAA is still minors. The Bigs should be a different entity of their own. The minors are the minors. I want the whacky names, the whacky logos, the different colors.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Southern California won't think too highly of that interlocking logo; prepare for legal action.

Nonsense.

Unless the Omaha club decides to try to take away the school's right to own its marks, as Carolina did, there won't be any issue.

How did I know you'd be the first to reply to that comment? :P

Just lucky, I guess? :P

• 1 month later...

200px-British_Union_of_Fascists_flag.ant.svg.png

oh crap you're right.

Considering the Royals are no fun organization, this is a shockingly cool nickname

1. No facial hair for minor league players

2. Solid black spikes for minor league players

3. High stirrups for minor league players

Archived