Columbus Blue Jackets Abbreviation

nash61

CLB works better for the city, since it's the starting letter of each syllable. CoLumBus

This is my preference. Just my opinion, but the team's nickname shouldn't get a spot in the abbreviation unless there are two teams from the same market. Like NYR for the Rangers and NYI for the Islanders. The Devils, however, should just use NJ.

I agree 100%. CBJ has always bugged me for that reason. CLB seems like the better option.

I prefer CHW over CWS because it meshes with the Cubs' CHC.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I don't have a problem with CBJ since it's the only top level team the city has (and is likely to have), but if it was to have teams in other sports, for consistency I would prefer they use CLB. For strictly the city, I'm not sure how any of the others could possibly better than CLB.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

When abbreviating for the EFL stuff I write I usually say "CBS", which for anything non-NHL I think works best. But when talking about the Jackets I like "CBJ" the best. It just "feels" the best, if that makes sense.

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - est. 2006 

Why do we limit ourselves to 3-letter abbreviations? Everyone has a 50+" widescreen now. There's plenty of room for 4 letters. CLBS. Problem. Solved.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I guess I don't have a problem with CBJ since it's the only top level team the city has (and is likely to have), but if it was to have teams in other sports, for consistency I would prefer they use CLB. For strictly the city, I'm not sure how any of the others could possibly better than CLB.

That's more or less how I feel about it. I might like CLB better had I not been watching WWE in the early 00s and therefore find it difficult not to think of a certain acronym whenever I see those initials.

But while we're talking about city initials, am I the only one who thinks the Dodgers should still be referred to as "LA"? LAA is appropriate for the Angels since the second "A" could just as easily refer to Anaheim, and should, since Anaheim is officially part of their name, but the Dodgers are still the only team in baseball that claims LA exclusively. After all these years I'm still not used to "LAD".

That's more or less how I feel about it. I might like CLB better had I not been watching WWE in the early 00s and therefore find it difficult not to think of a certain acronym whenever I see those initials.

But while we're talking about city initials, am I the only one who thinks the Dodgers should still be referred to as "LA"? LAA is appropriate for the Angels since the second "A" could just as easily refer to Anaheim, and should, since Anaheim is officially part of their name, but the Dodgers are still the only team in baseball that claims LA exclusively. After all these years I'm still not used to "LAD".

I know what you mean. I think it's just for clarity and/or consistency (in terms of # of letters), even if it is redundant/unnecessary.

Off the top of my head, in the NBA, I've seen NYK, NJN, NOH, and GSW used very regularly for on-screen scorebugs. Even though for all of those, the third letter isn't needed.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

The Citi Field out-of-town scoreboard does the LA/LAA thing. I'd rather have LAD and LAA just to be consistent and since no one uses the full Angels name.

WPG

I started thinking about this the other day. This is the proper abbreviation for Winnipeg, no way to dispute.

HOWEVER.

IF the NHL return to Winnipeg in the form of the Jets, and IF the popularization of airport codes on sports jerseys should spill over into pro hockey, then would Winnipeg be rightfully able to use a YVR abbreviation on a jersey? It would certainly be the only real team to be able to do so, IMO, given their nickname.

Feel free to dispute my theory.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

CBJ, WPG, HFD, CGY, MTL, NSH, WSH, ARZ, JAX, NYY, NYM, UTA, CHC, CWS. Those are my preferences, anyway.

Agreed, and I've also seen "HRT" for Hartford, "MON" for Montreal, "WAS" for Washington, "ARI"/"AZ" for Arizona and "JAC" for Jacksonville.

And how about San Antonio? I've seen "SA" (the way it should be) and "SAN" (no no no no).

Back to the original topic, I've used "CBJ" in posts. I've also switched between "CHW" and "CWS" for the White Sox, and while "CHW" looks like "CHC", it's leaving out the "Sox", so "CWS" seems like a better choice...

Columbus also has the Crew, who play in MLS and their abbreviations are CLB. So the Blue Jackets should nit have a problem using the same abbreviations as the Crew as well.

I always use the first 3 letters (prefer it to 4, just more natural for abbreviating) of the city for the abbreviation unless a) there are more than 1 team from the same city in the same sport (ex: CHC-CWS, NYM-NYY, LAD-LAA, NYJ-NYG, LAL-LAC, NYR-NYI) or b ) it has the same abbreviation as another location, same sport or not, and its more commonly used for the other city/state (ex: I use CLB for Columbus cuz I use COL for Colorado, CLG for Calgary cuz CAL is more commonly used for California even if no team currently uses the moniker). For 2 worded locations (SD, SF, SA) I only use the 2 initialsn unless they fall under A above (see NY and LA examples). BTW, I use UTA for Utah. Sometimes I go between WAS and WSH for Washington. I even used to abbreviate Jacksonville as JAX cuz ESPN did that at first. I now just go JAC. Arizona I also alternate between AZ and ARZ. Mostly use PHO for Phoenix, but I also like PHX.

I don't mean to get too off topic, but regarding Arizona, am I way off or did NBC use "AZ" for the Cardinals during the Super Bowl a few years back? I remember something like that.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I don't mean to get too off topic, but regarding Arizona, am I way off or did NBC use "AZ" for the Cardinals during the Super Bowl a few years back? I remember something like that.

They did use AZ. I just checked a YouTube vid to confirm.

They always have. CSN Bay Area uses AZ when the Giants play the Diamondbacks. For the U of Arizona Wildcats, the networks usually use ARIZ.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

It is the state's official abbreviation, so I don't see why it would be all that surprising.

Archived