Rockies Hats

JayJaxon

I'm trying to find out from the resident Rockies experts if these are all the hats the Rockies have worn (Not counting Batting Practice caps) I'm also trying to find out what uniforms these have been worn with. For example, I thought for sure the all black hat was worn with the black vest every time. But I recently saw a picture of the Rox at home wearing the Black crown purple bill hat with the black vest. So I thought I would ask here before I get the whole uniform history done and find out I have mismatched caps. I think these are the only three they have worn on the field but I just want to make sure.

Rox_Caps.png

I'm almost positive the black/purple cap has never been worn with the home pinstriped or sleeveless pinstriped jerseys.

I'm 99% sure that this is correct. But the all purple has been worn with both of those uniforms at some point.

And the majority of the time they wear the black vest they pair it with the black/purple bill cap.

jNTsTyQ.png

Now here is the other question: Does the all purple hat only go with the purple jersey? Have all three hats gone with the purple jersey at some point?

The purple jersey has been worn with the all black hat as well. I'm not sure if it's been worn with the purple bill though.

EDIT - Apparently it has been worn with the purple bill hat.

P2_h_ath_bohanon.jpg

jNTsTyQ.png

Ok. So for the sake of saving space yet still showing off uniform items, I am going to mostly pair the purple hat with the purple jersey while sprinkling in the all black. Same with the black vest. I will pair it with the hat they wear the most with it. I can just make a note that these hats are interchangeable.

EDIT: You know, I'm also wondering if being on the road or at home matters. I know the Rox have a habit of wearing road gear at home. But that purple bill hat is really a road hat right?

One thing that I know for sure it that in the past 2-3 years the all black hat has been worn at home and the purple bill hat has been worn on the road regardless of jersey. I think also think that has been mostly true for the majority of the time since 2000 (I don't think the purple billed hat existed before 2000).

As for the all purple hat it has seen very little action of the field ever. I know it has not been worn since 2004 or 2005, and even then it think it was worn minimally. I think the purple hat was more of an experiment that failed, but they still sell it because people will buy it.

There are some exceptions though...

This photo is from opening day in Arizona in 2004, they were clearly wearing the all purple hat on the road here.

roadopener2004.png

These photos are from opening day at home in 2004, they are wearing the purple billed hat here.

PurpleBillHome2004.png

Homepurplebill.png

I know early on they wore the black hat with the purple bill with the purple jersey regardless of weather they were at home or on the road. But later on they switched to the all black hat at home and the black hat with the purple bill on the road regardless of jersey.

This photo was on the cover of a rockies magazine from 2004 showing the black hat with purple bill being worn at home.

purplejerseyandbillhome2004.png

This photo is from 2007 at home showing the all black hat being worn with the purple jersey.

purpleatlhome2007.png

This might have been a little confusing to follow but I really hope it helps you out.

Yes it does help me out a lot. The best thing for me to do in this situation is present the jersey and cap once per year. I'm not gonna show the black vest with the home and road pants and with the black hat and purple billed hat. I'll just have to try to be as clear as I can in explaining that these jerseys and uniforms were pretty much interchangeable regardless of if they were on the road or at home. I appreciate the effort TalktoChuck and Jake22. It has cleared things up while confusing me all at the same time! :)

I'll try to help out with this as much as I can year by year as the Rockies really liked to switch their caps around a lot from 2000-2006 (thankfully, they settled on their uniforms starting in 2007).

2000 Season: The Rockies wore the all black cap almost all of the time in 2000. They only wore the purple brim caps on the road as an alternate, but they wore it with both the regular striped grays and the purple ALT jersey.

2001 Season: The Rockies actually switched to wearing the purple brimmed caps almost every game in '01 and with every single jersey (Home stripes/Home ALT 'CR'/Home ALT Purple/Road stripes/Road Purple). They only wore the all black caps on rare occasions at home and only on the road with the regular gray stripes.

2002 Season: In '02 they dropped the purple brims completely at home and only wore the black caps. But, they wore the purple brims almost exclusively on the road. They only wore the all black cap with the stripes on the road and not very often. Also worth noting is that the Rockies only wore the ALT Purple jerseys on the road in '02 a few times.

2003 Season: The exact opposite of '02, the purple brim caps were now their Home caps all year long. The all black was now their Road cap. They only wore the purple brimmed caps a few times and only on the road. They introduced the all purple caps to open the '03 season. They only wore it at home and only with the ALT Purple jerseys. By the end of April they stopped wearing the all purple cap.

2004 Season: Ahh, the changes only kept on coming! They switched back to using the all black caps as their primary home cap in '04. They only wore the purple brims a few times at home. The purple brim caps were used almost entirely as their road caps. They only wore the ALT purple jersey a few times at home the first month, but it's worn with the all purple cap every time. The Rockies also open the season wearing the all purple cap on the road, but that only lasted for about a week or so. The Rockies dropped the rare, all purple caps after the '04 season ended.

2005 Season: Rockies dropped the CR jersey, but introduced a new CR Vest and a new ALT black vest. Starting in 2005, the Rockies only wore the black cap at home. They wore the all black caps on the road almost every game in '05 as well. They started the season wearing the purple brim caps with the black vests and purple undershirts. This only lasted the first week or two and then they switched to black undershirts after that.

2006 Season: The black caps remained the only home cap. They still did don the purple brims with the ALT black vests, the ALT Purples and their road gray stripes, but they wore the all black caps more regularly on the road in '06. Also worth noting is the fact that they wore the ALT Purple jerseys far less frequently starting in 2006.

2007 - 2010 Seasons: All black cap remains their only home cap. They switched to only wearing the purple brimmed caps on the road in '07. The ALT Purple jerseys were worn even less in '07 and they were retired after that season.

Hope this helps you out!

They started the season wearing the purple brim caps with the black vests and purple undershirts. This only lasted the first week or two and then they switched to black undershirts after that.

I must say it didn't look so hot either.

uni_rockies.jpg

DarthBrett, great info I learned alot that I didn't know before, wow, thanks.

The ALT Purple jerseys were worn even less in '07 and they were retired after that season.

Technically, the purple jerseys have not been retired. The word I got from someone in the FO when I asked him about it was that there were "no current plans to wear them", but they are still a choice for the team to wear.

didnt really read through but there is this one too, not sure if its been mentioned. its just the purple one with a black line across the front of the brim

41-90115-F.jpg

I don't believe that is an "official" cap, unless it's being added into the cap rotation for next year. Might be a fashion-type cap?

2011 Colorado Rockies | Season from Hell

sig_11.png

Technically, the purple jerseys have not been retired. The word I got from someone in the FO when I asked him about it was that there were "no current plans to wear them", but they are still a choice for the team to wear.

I guess I should have said stopped wearing them. But they haven't worn them in 3 seasons now. So I'd still say they are unofficially, or at least temporarily, retired.

Wouldn't it be great if teams weren't so gunshy about using "non-traditional" colors. I don't think many even notice the use of purple unless they're a die-hard. If you look from afar as a non-baseball person, you basically see black and white. The purple is not very prominent. I say -- up it !!! Bring back the purple uniform and the all-purple hat.

Archived