Super Bowl XLV Field Concepts

Cuse2000

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...and everyone was surprised as hell the Saints had an Old Gold endzone. Looking at the recent history of Super Bowl Endzones, the Packers endzone, should they make it, will be green.

The Bears endzone in XX was orange. In XLI it was navy. The Giants endzone in XXI and XXV were red. In XXXV and XLII they were blue. There is a trend here to have the endzones at the Super Bowl be darker colors. The Steelers are still given the athletic gold, and the Saints apparently will have their old gold endzone should they ever return.

Yeah...the Bears and Giants orange and red end zones came during the era of the two-bar-facemask Endzones. During that time, the end zone was always a contrasting color from the helmet. When the NFL removed helmets from the end zone beginning with Super Bowl XXXI, this didn't necessarily happen anymore. There have been exepctions, most notably the Steelers and Saints, but for the most part, the end zone has been the same color as the team's primary uniform.

"I still think a tag team of Jimmy B and Melo could kick the :censored: out of Jesus and God."

Syracuse Orangemen

2003 National Champions

In Super Bowl I both endzones where yellow with Chiefs in red and Packers in green. It would be interesting if the matchup is Packers vs Steelers and have both endzones yellow. Also because they both use a stencil font.

I was thinking about that too after the Steelers won how both teams will use stencil fonts in their endzones which has got to be a first. I personally hate the way the steelers have unmatching endzone fonts at Heinz Field (does it have to do with the fact that Pitt also plays there?).

I was thinking about that too after the Steelers won how both teams will use stencil fonts in their endzones which has got to be a first. I personally hate the way the steelers have unmatching endzone fonts at Heinz Field (does it have to do with the fact that Pitt also plays there?).

No, 'Pittsburgh' was never done in the same stencil font as 'Steelers'. But while were on the unmatching endzones in Heinz, during Pitt football season, I would just assume have two endzones say 'Pittsburgh' then having the other one hatched out like its currently done.

As for the project to re-create all the Super Bowl fields from Game I to present, the NFL network will be doing a marathon showing all of the games, if someone wants to do some research.

I believe the Packers endzone paint to be up in the air (should they beat Chicago today).

For whatever reason, I just don't see both endzones being the same color. If the Steelers advnace out of the AFC, the Steelers will have yellow GOLD, and the Packers' will be green. If the Jets win, the Jets will obviously use green, and the Packers go yellow GOLD.

Fixed. Packers also get the choice of uniforms.

The "Pittsburgh" end zone is the same font as what was at Three Rivers. They simply recolor depending on who's playing at home. And the other end zone has the Notre Dame stripes until Pitt finishes playing. then they slap the Steelers font in there

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Based on what pictures Cotton Bowl twitter feed has posted of the initial painting of the field, it looks like the NFL will keep the shield at the 50 and paint the Super Bowl logos at the 25, without the stadium in the background. Also, the Steelers wordmark is being painted in the west end zone, so it doesn't look like the road team will be on the right as they've been on the past.

SuperBowlXLV_Final-1.jpg

"I still think a tag team of Jimmy B and Melo could kick the :censored: out of Jesus and God."

Syracuse Orangemen

2003 National Champions

Looks nice, just nudge that NFL shield 5 yards to the right and you got it ^_^

Yup...that's what I get for doing this before my first cup of coffee.

Syracuse Orangemen

2003 National Champions

Based on what pictures Cotton Bowl twitter feed has posted of the initial painting of the field, it looks like the NFL will keep the shield at the 50 and paint the Super Bowl logos at the 25, without the stadium in the background. Also, the Steelers wordmark is being painted in the west end zone, so it doesn't look like the road team will be on the right as they've been on the past.

SuperBowlXLV_Final-1.jpg

Ya I was wondering about that. I always wanted to know if it was the NFL or the team that decides what color they want for their endzone?

SuperBowlXLV_Final-1.jpg

From what I can tell the Steelers are in the East end zone.

After seeing the photos from the Dallas Morning News website, Pittsburgh is definitely the east end zone.

newsig.jpg

Love the discussion about end zone colors... always had the following two questions about end zones...

If the Jets had made the Super Bowl pre-Super Bowl 32... would their end zone have been white? They were the only team with one or two colors... where the contrasting color to the helmet was white (Colts would have had blue endzone with white helmet, Raiders black with silver helmet, etc...)

Also... in the Super Bowl 32-37 era... where helmets were at the kickoff spots... what would have happened if the Steelers made the Super Bowl as the road team (and thus would have had their "helmet" on the right side of the field and face to the left)? Would it have been a straight black end zone? I do remember watching the pregame of Super Bowl XXX... and the air-filled helmet that had fireworks shot out of it had the Steelers logo on both sides... thought that was odd...

I still love how we only had the "modern" facemasks on end zone helmets in Super Bowl XXX. I figured with that "evolution" we'd keep the helmets in the end zones for a while...

I also believe Super Bowl XXXI (49ers/Chargers) is the only Super Bowl in the "modern era" where there is no AFC or NFC logo on the field. Because the NFL used the "75 Seasons" logo at midfield (which had a small NFL logo in it) and the Super Bowl logo at the kickoff spot... they probably wanted there to be some NFL shield represnetation... so the NFL shield replace the "A" and the "N" in the end zone helmets...

Also... what was up with the Dolphins playing in a blue end zone in Super Bowl XVII and a coral one in Super Bowl XIX????

Love the discussion about end zone colors... always had the following two questions about end zones...

If the Jets had made the Super Bowl pre-Super Bowl 32... would their end zone have been white? They were the only team with one or two colors... where the contrasting color to the helmet was white (Colts would have had blue endzone with white helmet, Raiders black with silver helmet, etc...)

Also... in the Super Bowl 32-37 era... where helmets were at the kickoff spots... what would have happened if the Steelers made the Super Bowl as the road team (and thus would have had their "helmet" on the right side of the field and face to the left)? Would it have been a straight black end zone? I do remember watching the pregame of Super Bowl XXX... and the air-filled helmet that had fireworks shot out of it had the Steelers logo on both sides... thought that was odd...

I still love how we only had the "modern" facemasks on end zone helmets in Super Bowl XXX. I figured with that "evolution" we'd keep the helmets in the end zones for a while...

I also believe Super Bowl XXXI (49ers/Chargers) is the only Super Bowl in the "modern era" where there is no AFC or NFC logo on the field. Because the NFL used the "75 Seasons" logo at midfield (which had a small NFL logo in it) and the Super Bowl logo at the kickoff spot... they probably wanted there to be some NFL shield represnetation... so the NFL shield replace the "A" and the "N" in the end zone helmets...

Also... what was up with the Dolphins playing in a blue end zone in Super Bowl XVII and a coral one in Super Bowl XIX????

I also love this discussion. I am an admitted dork on this.

Since the merger (1970 season) the home team has the end zone to the left and the visiting team is on the right. This year the Packers will be to the left and the Steelers will be to the right.

The first year of the helmets on the kickoff spots was Super Bowl 31 with the Packers played the Patriots (The Patriots that year had a red end zone) up to 37 with the Raiders playing the Bucs. The Super Bowl logo was on the 50. I believe that the helmets were moved back to the 25 on each side in Super Bowl 35 (Ravens/Giants) but could be wrong.

SB 38 and 39 had the helmets with the team logo on one side of the end zone and the conference logo without the helmet on the other side. The Super Bowl logo was on each 25 yard line with the shield on the 50.

from SB 40 on, the logo without the helmet is on the left and the conference logo is on the right.

Good observation on the Chargers/49ers Super Bowl (29). The NFL shield replaced the conference logos that year. It was also the last year of the one bar face mask helmets. Also, (good observation) SB 30 was the only year of the modern facemasks in the end zones.

The Jets had the green Ken O'Brien/Al Toon helmets. The Jets would have had a green end zone with the "Jets" in white.

Don't know why the Dolphins had the Aqua endzone in SB 17 and a yellow in SB 19. Pats had a red end zone in SB 31, then blue for the Brady Era Super Bowls.

Quote - SB 38 and 39 had the helmets with the team logo on one side of the end zone and the conference logo without the helmet on the other side. The Super Bowl logo was on each 25 yard line with the shield on the 50.

And the helmets were freakishly small, rendering these to be the worst end zones the SB has had, in my opinion.

I loved the 2 helmet set up, which is what I grew up with.

The Broncos were the first team to have their endzone color be the same color as their helmet

in SB 32.

Amazing that the Steelers SB opponent is being disrespected again, end zone wise.

SB 40 and 43 having the city placed in the endzone so the non football fans casually tuning in wouldn't be asking where these teams they never heard of were from. Both teams had just the team nickname in their endzones at their respective stadiums.

And now the home team Packers endzone being placed on the visitors' side. Unreal.

Favorite endzones:

The Pats red in SB XX was perfect, especially with the old wordmark.

Dolphins aqua in SB 17 was awesome. Great wordmark as well.

Redskins SB 17, 18, 22 and 26 endzones are great.

Eagles silver in SB 15.

Worst:

38 and 39 mentioned above, and the Steelers-Seahawks and Bears-Colts where they had some stupid swatch covering the conference logos. What was the deal there?

sig-1.png

I love the painting of the end zones and the logos on the field! I'm a freak, too, when it comes to the Super Bowl field painting.

Thought on the the switching of home/away end zones. Maybe the league reversed them to mimic Vistor (left) vs Home (right)...left to right on the TV screen? Just a thought.

I used to love the helmets in the end zones. Initially, I was upset when they took them out, but I got over it. I must say I love the current format as it is. I only wish that the league keeps every Super Bowl logo unique to the host city. I believe, starting with this Super Bowl XLV, that the league is keeping this same generic logo from here on.

I think the Dolphins end zone from XIX was supposed to be the orange from their uniform, but it was a little light. Teams with white helmets and multi-colored unis could have 2 different end zone colors. Patriots, XX and XXXI were red, and the rest were blue. Dolphins always had aqua, and XIX was light orange. The Titans have 3 options...they could go navy, light blue or red. Same with the Chargers, they could go dark blue, powder blue or yellow.

I used to love the old Broncos end zone...the blue helmets on the orange...sweet.

I also love this discussion. I am an admitted dork on this.

Since the merger (1970 season) the home team has the end zone to the left and the visiting team is on the right. This year the Packers will be to the left and the Steelers will be to the right.

The first year of the helmets on the kickoff spots was Super Bowl 31 with the Packers played the Patriots (The Patriots that year had a red end zone) up to 37 with the Raiders playing the Bucs. The Super Bowl logo was on the 50. I believe that the helmets were moved back to the 25 on each side in Super Bowl 35 (Ravens/Giants) but could be wrong.

SB 38 and 39 had the helmets with the team logo on one side of the end zone and the conference logo without the helmet on the other side. The Super Bowl logo was on each 25 yard line with the shield on the 50.

from SB 40 on, the logo without the helmet is on the left and the conference logo is on the right.

Good observation on the Chargers/49ers Super Bowl (29). The NFL shield replaced the conference logos that year. It was also the last year of the one bar face mask helmets. Also, (good observation) SB 30 was the only year of the modern facemasks in the end zones.

The Jets had the green Ken O'Brien/Al Toon helmets. The Jets would have had a green end zone with the "Jets" in white.

Don't know why the Dolphins had the Aqua endzone in SB 17 and a yellow in SB 19. Pats had a red end zone in SB 31, then blue for the Brady Era Super Bowls.

Disagree on what the Jets end zone would have looked like prior to them adding black as a color (1990)... don't know how you got to that conclusion... the end zone colors had to be different from the main color of the entire HELMET... hence the orange Bears end zone and the silver Eagles end zone and the red Giants end zone. By virtue of that policy... the Jets end zone would have to have been WHITE... as green would be the same MAIN COLOR as the helmet...

Though I think the NFL would have probably made it a green end zone... which would have been the only time the main end zone color was the same as the main helmet color...

Archived