Super Bowl Patches on Jerseys

ltjets21

I believe Super Bowl XXXII (1998 - Broncos/Packers) was the first in the current string, but IIRC, Super Bowl XXV in 1991 between the Bills and Giants used one. They didn't use one again until XXXII for some reason.

EDIT: Found these pics from XXV -

nfl_g_hostetler_580.jpg

I apologize for the quality of this one, but you can make out the patch on the Bills' jerseys, showing that it wasn't just the Giants who wore them -

0.jpg

On a side note: my goodness those Bills uniforms were great back then. Why they ever changed is beyond me.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

nfl_g_hostetler_580.jpg

On a side note: my goodness those Bills uniforms were great back then. Why they ever changed is beyond me.

Tom Donohoe!!

In 2001 Ralph Wilson said that the uniforms weren't going to be changed .... Not long afterward ex-Steelers GM Tom Donohoe was hired as President and GM. After that what Wilson said was rescinded in a radio/TV interview Donohoe did with a local TV affiliate.

Spring of 2002 the new uni's were unveiled, a short time after acquiring Drew Bledsoe .... I believe the entire change was influenced and brought into effect by Donohoe.

Thank goodness he's now gone ...

Now that Nike is taking over after the 2011 season (if there is one), I expect alot more teams to make changes, as they've seem to of been holding back the past couple seasons. Hopefully the BILLS go back to the 1965 look fulltime. Other than the AFL-50 thingy and teams coming out with throwbacks (ATL, PHL, GB, CHI), alternates (AZ), or new pants (like Browns and Rams) there really haven't been any drastic uniform or logo changes in the past couple seasons other than SF reverting back to their pre-1998 look.

This isn't a Super Bowl patch per se, but the Chiefs wore a special AFL 10th Anniversary patch for Super Bowl IV. The prevailing feeling in the NFL and the media that the NFL was the predominant league in pro football and that the AFL was just a glorified semi-pro league that had gotten lucky the year before. Lamar Hunt, knowing that the Super Bowl would be the AFL's final game had the patches affixed to his players' jersey to inspire them. Whether it was the patches or not, you can't argue with the results.

10.superbowl04.jpg

Before this turns into a "post a picture of whatever patch a team happened to be wearing in a Super Bowl" thread, I want to point out that the AFL patch that the Chiefs wore was specifically for the Super Bowl. It wasn't like the "NFL 50" patch that had been worn in every game by every team that year. It was worn only by the Chiefs and only for the Super Bowl and therefore is a "Super Bowl patch" by default.

This isn't a Super Bowl patch per se, but the Chiefs wore a special AFL 10th Anniversary patch for Super Bowl IV. The prevailing feeling in the NFL and the media that the NFL was the predominant league in pro football and that the AFL was just a glorified semi-pro league that had gotten lucky the year before. Lamar Hunt, knowing that the Super Bowl would be the AFL's final game had the patches affixed to his players' jersey to inspire them. Whether it was the patches or not, you can't argue with the results.

10.superbowl04.jpg

Now that's a good looking Super Bowl. First Super Bowl I ever watched as well. Yup. I'm old.

BB52Big.jpg

That's not really a patch.. it's a heat-pressed decal... Yuck.

We don't know that.

That's not really a patch.. it appears to be a heat-pressed decal... Yuck.

Fixed for journalistic integrity...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I don't know if it's still done this way, but for all long time all sports patches were heat-pressed into place and then sewn down. Considering this image is from the preparation of jerseys, and not the finished product, we don't know that they're doing anything differently than what they've been doing for years.

Archived