2011 MLB Season Thread

Gary

It's not like Dallas/Fort Worth is the #4 media market in the entire nation.

No, that couldn't possibly be.

Actually, according to Nielsen Media Research, Philadelphia is #4. Either way though, teams like the Rangers, Astros, and even Giants don't get the attention nor ratings that you'd expect from markets of their sizes. Not sure why this is.

I can't speak for the Giants, but the Rangers have had horrific ownership until last season. The last time Tom Hicks threw money at the team was the turn of the century, and since then he slashed and burned the payroll while leveraging the team into tremendous debt to buy :censored:ing Liverpool. Now that the ownership is good, the payroll and attendance are up, and as long as the team continues to do well, it should keep improving. The Astros are pretty similar, the owner couldn't afford or didn't want to pay high prices, and valued people he enjoyed being around over winning.

Curtis Granderson on pace for 50 home runs. Who is the last center fielder to do that? Griffey Jr?

EDIT: Looks like it was Andruw Jones in 2005. Here is the list of centerfielders with 50 home run reasons.

Ken Griffey Jr. - 56 (1997)

Ken Griffey Jr. - 56 (1998)

Hack Wilson - 56 (1930)

Mickey Mantle - 54 (1961)

Mickey Mantle - 52 (1956)

Willie Mays - 52 (1965)

Andruw Jones - 51 (2005)

Willie Mays - 51 (1955)

Brady Anderson - 50 (1996)

LOL :censored:ing Brady Anderson.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not like Dallas/Fort Worth is the #4 media market in the entire nation.

No, that couldn't possibly be.

Actually, according to Nielsen Media Research, Philadelphia is #4. Either way though, teams like the Rangers, Astros, and even Giants don't get the attention nor ratings that you'd expect from markets of their sizes. Not sure why this is.

I can't speak for the Giants, but the Rangers have had horrific ownership until last season. The last time Tom Hicks threw money at the team was the turn of the century, and since then he slashed and burned the payroll while leveraging the team into tremendous debt to buy :censored:ing Liverpool. Now that the ownership is good, the payroll and attendance are up, and as long as the team continues to do well, it should keep improving. The Astros are pretty similar, the owner couldn't afford or didn't want to pay high prices, and valued people he enjoyed being around over winning.

Curtis Granderson on pace for 50 home runs. Who is the last center fielder to do that? Griffey Jr?

EDIT: Looks like it was Andruw Jones in 2005. Here is the list of centerfielders with 50 home run reasons.

Ken Griffey Jr. - 56 (1997)

Ken Griffey Jr. - 56 (1998)

Hack Wilson - 56 (1930)

Mickey Mantle - 54 (1961)

Mickey Mantle - 52 (1956)

Willie Mays - 52 (1965)

Andruw Jones - 51 (2005)

Willie Mays - 51 (1955)

Brady Anderson - 50 (1996)

LOL :censored:ing Brady Anderson.

I was going through the list of 50 home run seasons, his name and Luis Gonzalez popped out me. Can it be anymore obvious these guys were on the juice?

Tigers need to go out and get Jose Reyes. Makes them automatic playoff team. Imagine this lineup:

1. Jose Reyes SS .348 AVG

2. Carlos Guillen 2B .270 AVG (when healthy)

3. Brennan Boesch LF .290 AVG

4. Miguel Cabrera 1B .319 AVG

5. Victor Martinez DH .322 AVG

6. Jhonny Peralta 3B .298 AVG

7. Austin Jakson CF .250 AVG

8. Alex Avila C .304 AVG

9. Casper Wells RF .243 AVG

Untouchable. You may ask how they would get Reyes? They have one of the best pitching farm in the league, they could easily give 2 or 3 up. The time for them to win the division is now.

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

Tigers need to go out and get Jose Reyes. Makes them automatic playoff team. Imagine this lineup:

8. Alex Avila C .304 AVG

Untouchable. You may ask how they would get Reyes? They have one of the best pitching farm in the league, they could easily give 2 or 3 up. The time for them to win the division is now.

Jacob Turner, RHP

Andy Oliver, LHP

Dan Schlereth, LHP

8. Alex Avila C .304 AVG

Jacob Turner, RHP

Andy Oliver, LHP

Dan Schlereth, LHP

Exactly what I was thinking.

8. Alex Avila C .304 AVG

The Tigers would be so much better if they had someone to take the leadoff spot out of Austin Jackson's hands. A leadoff hitter shouldn't strike out as much as he does. But with the numbers Reyes is putting up right now, I find it hard to believe the Mets won't try to keep him. It's not good for the fan base to get rid of a guy like that.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

8. Alex Avila C .304 AVG

The Tigers would be so much better if they had someone to take the leadoff spot out of Austin Jackson's hands. A leadoff hitter shouldn't strike out as much as he does. But with the numbers Reyes is putting up right now, I find it hard to believe the Mets won't try to keep him. It's not good for the fan base to get rid of a guy like that.

I'm not saying the Mets don't want him, but if he wants too much money, they might as well get a few good prospects for him. The Tigers would be happy to have his contract.

8. Alex Avila C .304 AVG

No, that lineup's far from untouchable in my view. You've got guys that have gotten off to good starts to this year, but you're gonna tell me that Jhonny Peralta, Austin Jackson, Casper Wells, Carlos Guillen and Brennan Boesch make up an "untouchable" lineup? Yeah, no thanks. The only difference between what you have now and what you would have would be having two guys that I'd be afraid of when they're at the plate.

/The winner of the AL Central will once again get swept in the first round. This coming from an Indians fan with a team still (surprisingly) in the race.

6fQjS3M.png

No, that lineup's far from untouchable in my view. You've got guys that have gotten off to good starts to this year, but you're gonna tell me that Jhonny Peralta, Austin Jackson, Casper Wells, Carlos Guillen and Brennan Boesch make up an "untouchable" lineup? Yeah, no thanks. The only difference between what you have now and what you would have would be having two guys that I'd be afraid of when they're at the plate.

/The winner of the AL Central will once again get swept in the first round. This coming from an Indians fan with a team still (surprisingly) in the race.

I understand about Wells and Guillen, but those other guys are having a great season. "untouchable" was over exaggerating, but it would still be a strong lineup. Only 2 guys to be afraid of? Reyes, Cabrera, Martinez and even Boesch (at the moment) would be hard to get through.

You can argue there is 4 teams in the AL East better than any team in the AL Central. Toronto would be doing real well if they were in the AL Central.

Really? The Tigers are 6-2 against the Jays and Rays (including a no-hitter). The rest of the AL Central haven't been as great against them.

Um No

Mets better pony up and keep Jose Reyes, if they are going to play in Citi Field National Park they need a gap hitter with speed.

Considering who your GM is right now, I'd bet on Reyes being in another uniform by August, unless the Mets keep up their current pace & actually have an outside shot by August, instead of being out of contention like we all expect them to be by then.

EDIT: I gave Alderson credit for Beane's work. :P

I love the way Carlos Pena hits home runs. Considering he has such a low average, its kinda fun to just watch him swing for the fences EVERY at-bat. He almost always bombs a no-doubter whenever he homers. Either that or a ground out

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

The Twins are 13-3 in June and still have the worst record in the AL.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived