fnz's MLB Concepts

floydnimrod

I haven't posted concepts in a while, but that doesn't mean I haven't been working on anything. I actually started working on these back in June of last year, and recently my interest in finishing this was sparked in the past month. For some teams I changed logo, other I changed small things on uniforms and even color schemes. With baseball uniforms being so cookie cutter I looked a lot to past uniforms so quite a few of these are retro-inspired. Though I did use some of the same uniform styles, I tried not to overuse them. Also, a goal of this series was to have away uniforms not always be gray. You'll see gray, tan/sand, and even a light blue or two. After I post each concept I'll post the what the colors of the next team will be but not the team name, so If you offer some C+C feel free to guess which team is next.

Concept #1 - Los Angeles Dodgers

What happened:

- The uniforms' striping are based off of the light blue 1947 Brooklyn Dodgers alternates. I like the fact that the Dodgers do not us number outlines and that the front numbers are red while the back are blue. There are also no names on the back

- I updated the logo to include the current 'Dodgers' script that they use at home, which led me to alter the red lines a little. There is also the words 'Los Angeles' around the D.

losangelesdodgers.png

This is the template that I made and will use for the series. If applicable, the boxes will go like this: top row, Left to Right: Home Uniform, Away Uniform, Primary Logo. Second Row: Home Alternate, Left Alternate/League Logo, Alternate Logo/League Logo (if only one alternate).

The next team will be Dark Red/Maroon and Yellow

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like what I see so far. My only nitpick would be to make the "Los Angeles" on the logo a tad larger. My first thought when I saw that was "why does the D have eyelashes?"

It's a very solid look and I can't wait to see the rest.

And the next team's colors make me think Braves for some reason.

TDZiMMB.png

As stated before, they need "Player" or some kind of name on the back, and my one nitpick would be to make the outline of the white jersey and white pants more visible on this template that you're using. Otherwise, it's a very nice, clean, and overall high-quality look. Bonus points for the Brooklyn-esque jersey.

I purposely did not put names on the back as I think the Dodgers are one team that looks great with non names on the back. The Cubs, Yankees and Red Sox will also not have names on the back.

If you look closely the whites are actually outlined, albeit with a very very light gray. I'll try to make a tad darker for future teams.

As for the Maroon and Yellow team, I changed some teams' colors around, this team happens to be one of them. And baseball uniforms for the most part are generic. This will not abe a Nike Pro Combat version of the MLB, so if that was your expectation, sorry to disappoint.

Team #2

Tampa Bay Rays

What Happened:

- I changed the colors to Maroon and Yellow, inspired by the the St. Pete Pelicans throwbacks they wore a few years ago. The Devil Ray logo also includes a lighter shade of red. There's no real other reason for the change, other than the throwbacks and the fact that no team in the MLB wears this color combination.

- I removed the drop shadow from the wordmarks and reworked the primary logo to reflect that change.

- On the away uniforms, I thought that the Yellow outlines would make the numbers and script hard to read, but kept them on the sleeve stripes. So let me know if that's something I need to change.

tampabayrays.png

The next team will be Navy, and Silver/Gray. And red (in the logo at least).

Team #2

Tampa Bay Rays

What Happened:

- I changed the colors to Maroon and Yellow, inspired by the the St. Pete Pelicans throwbacks they wore a few years ago. The Devil Ray logo also includes a lighter shade of red. There's no real other reason for the change, other than the throwbacks and the fact that no team in the MLB wears this color combination.

- I removed the drop shadow from the wordmarks and reworked the primary logo to reflect that change.

- On the away uniforms, I thought that the Yellow outlines would make the numbers and script hard to read, but kept them on the sleeve stripes. So let me know if that's something I need to change.

tampabayrays.png

The next team will be Navy, and Silver/Gray. And red (in the logo at least).

Wow... very nice. Despite you only posting two teams so far, this is my favorite by far. Plus, it also goes well with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in terms of local franchise identities, even if there's no black to it, which wouldn't look good with your concept.

Team #3

New York Yankees

What happened:

- I changed the logo's colors around, diminishing the amount of red and playing up the Navy

- I added gray outlines to the numbers on the home jersey to match the outlines on the away jersey. I also outlined the logo on the home jersey.

- I added the logo as a sleeve patch on the away jersey.

- I only used one interlocking NY logo.

- The Navy, Red, and Gray NY logo is nothing more than a space filler here.

newyorkyankees.png

The next team's colors are Navy, Orange, and Sand.

just my $ .02:

Dodgers: like the striping, but i agree that they need names on the back. i really didn't like their sets back in '04-'05 without names.

Rays: absolutely agree they'd look amazing in the pelicans throwback colors. i would definitely go with the yellow brim for all hats. if there's one thing i despise in current MLB designs, it's the abundance of single color, red hats that currently exist. seriously, go to lids, where the organize the on field 59/50s by color. it's insanity. i think the yellow brim would make the hat an instant classic. also, i'd love to see yellow outline on the grey road jersey. the comparison to the current phils is dead on. if you have that gorgeous color palette, use it all the way through.

Yanks: really enjoy the recoloring of the top hat logo, although i'm not crazy about adding it as a patch to the road grey. but that may be just me.

good work in the set. keep it up! anxious to see what you do with my mets.

sig2024.png

Team #3

New York Yankees

What happened:

- I changed the logo's colors around, diminishing the amount of red and playing up the Navy

- I added gray outlines to the numbers on the home jersey to match the outlines on the away jersey. I also outlined the logo on the home jersey.

- I added the logo as a sleeve patch on the away jersey.

- I only used one interlocking NY logo.

- The Navy, Red, and Gray NY logo is nothing more than a space filler here.

newyorkyankees.png

The next team's colors are Navy, Orange, and Sand.

Have you considered doing a blue jersey with white pinstripes for an alt?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Next is the Astros?

I was thinking Padres :therock:

No, that will definitely be the Astros. The throwback color scheme mixed with the modern sand. If he goes throwback on the Padres it would probably be to brown and orange/yellow.

Anyway, I like all three teams so far. I like the striping you added to the Dodgers, and your update of the Yankees logo looks really good.

Archived