2011 NHL Playoffs

NEW.ERA

Mason Raymond out 4-6 months with a compression fracture in his vertebrae.

Asking you seriously, do you think Boychuk should be out for game 7 because of it? Do you see the comparisons the Canucks are trying to draw between the Rome hit and this one?

Both hits were clean.

But the Rome hit was late, and caught his head.

The Raymond injury was just a freak accident.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Asking you seriously, do you think Boychuk should be out for game 7 because of it? Do you see the comparisons the Canucks are trying to draw between the Rome hit and this one?

Both hits were clean.

The NHL is cracking down on hits to the head, I can see a new rule next year aiming at this becuase of Sid the Kid missing the second half.

As for Daniel Sedin, he has put all the weight on his shoulders.

If the Canucks win and he scores a big goal he will be seen as Joe Namath and Mark Messier.

If he is blanked and the Nucks lose he will be comiserating with LeBron.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Yeah, anyone who thinks Luongo was trash talking Thomas is an idiot who can't read a whole quote and put it in context. He was contrasting goal tending styles.

I guess he should have stuck to the boring cliche answers.

Anybody who doesn't realize that he was also making a jab at Thomas is either an idiot or a Canucks fan (another word for idiot).

;)

Luongo and Thomas play very different styles. What Luongo was getting at, is that with his style, where he plays deeper in his net, Lappieres goal probably wouldn't of beaten him. Luongos in no position to disrespect Thomas, and like the rest of the Canucks he is coached to choose his words very carefully. If you want to read more into that quote go ahead, but your over blowing it.

As for the Canucks, while I wish that Danny didn't say that, I don't have that big of a problem with it. I think you guys saw in the third period last night that the twins are more than capable of beating Thomas and creating pressure, and on home ice they will do just that. Losing Raymond though is huge and will hurt the whole chemistry of the team from the second line down. Vancouver has now lost Hamhuis, Rome, and Raymond in this series, all significant loses.

Yeah, anyone who thinks Luongo was trash talking Thomas is an idiot who can't read a whole quote and put it in context. He was contrasting goal tending styles.

Anybody who doesn't realize that he was also making a jab at Thomas is either an idiot or a Canucks fan (another word for idiot).

;)

Luongo and Thomas play very different styles. What Luongo was getting at is that with his style, where he plays deeper in his net, Lappieres goal probably wouldn't of beaten him. Luongos in no position to disrespect Thomas, and like the rest of the Canucks he is coached to choose his words very carefully. If you want to read more into that quote go ahead, but your over blowing it.

Pumping his tires, are we? <_<

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

And losing.

Yanks in 1960. I have no clue?

Who likes Game 7's? I sure the hell do.

Awe why you gotta play me like that.

Flames had a 3-2 series lead once as well.

Man, the Bolts look good in black.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Two totally different plays.

Raymond may have caught his skate blade in the ice. Combine that with his stick caught by Boychuk's feet, it spun him around. Momentum carried both to the boards, and unfortunately, Mason's neck and vertebrae absorbed all the impact from the hit.

If it was a dirty hit, Boychuk would have had a target on his back the rest of the game.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Cover up please.. your bias is showing...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Both hits were clean.

Rome was suspended based on two criteria: the puck was gone when the hit took place, and a serious injury resulted. Based on that, there's no doubt that Boychuk should be suspended.

Rome didn't intend to hurt Horton, and I'm sure Boychuk didn't intend to hurt Raymond. Based on the reasoning given by the league, however, a suspension needs to take place.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Both hits were clean.

Rome was suspended based on two criteria: the puck was gone when the hit took place, and a serious injury resulted. Based on that, there's no doubt that Boychuk should be suspended.

Rome didn't intend to hurt Horton, and I'm sure Boychuk didn't intend to hurt Raymond. Based on the reasoning given by the league, however, a suspension needs to take place.

Except the point of contact occurred when the puck was in the feet of both Raymond and Boychuk. It's not a late hit if it started while they were going for it. Once Boychuk and Raymond were engaged, he is allowed to finish his check, no? (Whether he should have may be a valid question. If I felt someone's shoulders on my legs, I would like to think I would stop skating and not continue in to the boards.) It wasn't like Raymond was standing there watching his pass for a second like Horton was. They were both trying to play the puck.

Either way, a terrible injury and certainly one you wouldn't wish on anyone. Any Bruins fan or Canuck hater who even uses the word karma to describe this incident is an idiot.

To say Boychuk should be suspended based on how Rome was suspended is close to lunacy, Lamicus...

sB9ijEj.png

Not at all. Looking PURELY at the two reasons the NHL gave for the Rome suspension, as I spelled out above, it's not at all out of the question, let alone lunacy.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Most I've seen for tickets to game 7 so far is $16,000 for a pair. Still a good deal compared to the gold medal game at the Olympics, which was $16,000 EACH! :shocked:

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Most I've seen for tickets to game 7 so far is $16,000 for a pair. Still a good deal compared to the gold medal game at the Olympics, which was $16,000 EACH! :shocked:

Both of those prices are pretty :censored: insane for a 60-minute hockey game, regardless of whether it's the Stanley Cup Final or the Olympic Final.

Not at all. Looking PURELY at the two reasons the NHL gave for the Rome suspension, as I spelled out above, it's not at all out of the question, let alone lunacy.

But it was a Canuck who got injured, so the same rules don't apply. It's the only difference. In reviewing the Rome hit, they requested Horton's medical records. They did not request Raymond's records from the Canucks, so they are ignoring the extent of the injury.

Even if they don't call for a suspension, they didn't even bother to follow the same procedure, which is not very surprising given the two markets that are involved in the series.

Cover up please.. your bias is showing...

No my ability to read a complete quote and process it is showing. I'm not a particular fan of Luongo, he's certainly over rated and was over blown as a young goalie as the next big thing, he's merely good, not great. But the media circus over the quote was ridiculous and inappropriate, as was the circus over the Burrows bite.

Hell, I was all for them starting Schneider when they did against the Hawks. And if he hadn't cramped up on that one play in game six in that series, he probably stops that penalty shot and they win that series. Maybe they go with him the rest of the way, and I'd have zero problem with that.

But it was a Canuck who got injured, so the same rules don't apply. It's the only difference. In reviewing the Rome hit, they requested Horton's medical records. They did not request Raymond's records from the Canucks, so they are ignoring the extent of the injury.

Even if they don't call for a suspension, they didn't even bother to follow the same procedure, which is not very surprising given the two markets that are involved in the series.

Forgetting the teams involved for a minute,

I'm thinking that engaging a player and riding him off isn't the same as laying someone out.

So since there isn't anything overly violent about the play in the way it was carried out,

perhaps league officials felt there was nothing to review in terms of a suspension.

The NHL should has at least commented that they watched the play, and based on something, made some sort of decision.

Bluntly stating they weren't going to review the play was wrong.

Certainly it's a terrible injury, and I wish Raymond a healthy recovery.

sig-1.png

...I think we can all agree that a good chunk of this off-season should be spent codifying the new emphisis on head injuries and other serious infractions and standardizing the discipline for such infractions. Leaving it up to the whims of NHL Executives (which Shanny now finds himself a part of) is no longer an acceptable way of handeling these matters.

sB9ijEj.png

...I think we can all agree that a good chunk of this off-season should be spent codifying the new emphisis on head injuries and other serious infractions and standardizing the discipline for such infractions. Leaving it up to the whims of NHL Executives (which Shanny now finds himself a part of) is no longer an acceptable way of handeling these matters.

Agreed.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Well if this isn't obvious yet, Deadspin posted an article that says if Vancouver wins tonight it will be the least deserving team to win in the history of the Stanley Cup finals, the World Series, or the NBA finals. Even if there's a 4-0 style blowout, it'll be second to the Yankees-Pirates World Series. And Deadspin puts it best,

It would be one of the flukiest Finals ever, and Canucks fans wouldn't care one damn bit.

soundersbanner.png

Archived