NNOB for the Jays?

kiwi_canadian

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Born into a Yankees-Dodgers family, I have got to say that this promotion is WAY overdone. I liked when the Mets and Dodgers honored Jackie Robinson, and I am indifferent to the Yankees doing so, but every team? And every player being forced to wear #42?! Why? What does that do or prove? Why not a Larry Doby day? How about Luis Castro Day???

My guess is that if you have a team toaster, you've never had a woman sleep over and use said device heat your muffins while also cooking you eggs and making you coffee the next morning.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

My guess is that if you have a team toaster, you've never had a woman sleep over and use said device heat your muffins while also cooking you eggs and making you coffee the next morning.

Lost my virginity on my NHL sheets.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

In the interest of full disclosure, I have banged on batman sheets. That was a long-ass time ago though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

In the interest of full disclosure, I have banged on batman sheets. That was a long-ass time ago though.

Same for me lol

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

I lost mine on Denver Broncos sheets... On a waterbed.

And no it wasn't Nick or Monica Bisordi. Getting that out of the way before anyone decides to be a funny @$$.

And no it wasn't Nick or Monica Bisordi. Getting that out of the way before anyone decides to be a funny @$$.

Come on... was it?

:P

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

It's important to honor Jackie Robinson, but I feel like there has to be a better way than having everyone wear 42. If Jackie Robinson Day had started a few years earlier, Cal Ripken would have gotten his 3000th hit while wearing #42. Maybe it's just me, but I think that would have kind of sucked for him, and it would have looked kind of stupid to see him getting it without wearing his literally-every-game-worn #8.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I think pretty much everyone that had 42 on when they crossed it off across th board are all out of the game now. I think a simple ceremony before the game and hte number 42 somewhere on the field is just as good

mariano_rivera-627.jpg

Do all the Yankees wear 42 on Jackie Robinson day? Next April 15th I'm going with a "Mariano Rivera Day" Banner.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

At least this isn't some awful marketing gimmick like the "don't YOU love America?" S&S caps or soldier dress-up camp alts.

I disagree. Either both are worthy of special jerseys/caps or neither are. I happen to like each instance.

It's not about what's more "worthy". The JR thing seems more "genuine" because it's not clearly just to sell more jerseys and caps, which despite what many on here think, the S&S and camo jerseys are. Wearing the 42 at least gets kids asking "daddy, why are they wearing 42?" to which daddy can reply "because of Jackie Robinson, who..." and that's how the lesson gets taught. The S&S accomplishes nothing other than "daddy, I only have 4 different Mets caps, but I now I want the one that David Wright is wearing today! Buy it for me!!!!" Either that or "daddy, why are they wearing S&S caps?" "well, son, it's because America is the best durn country out there and all the other countries aren't as good! Yee haw!"

The S&S and camos are STRICTLY for merchandising profits. Yes they do sell them but they have a certain purpose and reasoning for them being worn.

We disagree.

Yes we do. +1

Also, It would be overkill too but what if instead of the stupid number every players NOB just said "Robinson" instead of their name

"He did it...El-way"

I can haz sig?

The S&S and camos are STRICTLY for merchandising profits.

Yep.

That was supposed to say "aren't". I blame my iPhone keys for the error.

I figured as much, but thought I'd enjoy the momentary agreement.

But I will admit that you're right - S&S and camp alts are not entirely about making money off the suckers.

They're also about empty, meaningless "look at me!" gestures.

"He did it...El-way"

"This one's... For John!"

Made out with a girl on a bed that had all 30 MLB logos circa 1997 (the logos, not the session). Wasn't my bed. You guys had all the fun.

The only thing I like about Jackie Robinson Day is the unintentional Hitchhiker's Guide humor of it. I like knowing who people are.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's important to honor Jackie Robinson, but I feel like there has to be a better way than having everyone wear 42. If Jackie Robinson Day had started a few years earlier, Cal Ripken would have gotten his 3000th hit while wearing #42. Maybe it's just me, but I think that would have kind of sucked for him, and it would have looked kind of stupid to see him getting it without wearing his literally-every-game-worn #8.

Agreed. A simple league wide Jackie Robinson patch seems like a nice way to pay tribute to Robinson and his accomplishments.

"He did it...El-way"

Did you shout "I'm going to Disney World!" when you finished?

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Archived