New Syracuse Orange (not Orangemen anymore) Logo

CapCityDevil

Not sure if this has been posted or not, but Syracuse University has unveiled their new sports logo. They've also announced that the athletic teams will now be known as the Syracuse Orange instead of Syracuse Orangemen. Here's a link to the press release:

http://www.suathletics.com/News/basketball...sp?path=mbasket

Here's the new logo. Kinda looks like "SJ" to me:

SUweb.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just about to post this when I double checked the board and saw your post.

I think that it's dumb calling themselves "Orange" as their nickname. Also, I don't like the new "interlocking" SU. It's not that bad, just not very original. Looks like Oklahoma's OU with and S and points to me.

2004%5C5%5C11%5CSUweb.jpg

Like someone mentioned on another board that I read, what was Nike doing that it took 2 years to do this? Somebody on this board could have come up with this idea in a day or two.

I'm also interested in seeing what their new shades of orange and blue will look like. Although I wouldn't choose them, I thought that Syracuse's colors were/still are very distinctive. Like when I went to the Georgetown/Syracuse game and the Syracuse fans made the MCI Center look like the Carrier Dome with all of that orange.

Another thing that I just don't buy is the guy saying that Syracuse is the only school with orange as their official color. Tennessee? Clemson? Florida? etc.

I know that they said what the colors are, but I haven't taken a look at what those will look like compared to the old colors, or how the colors will look on their basketball unis. Not really a 'Cuse fan, but a Big East follower since I go to G-town.

Who are the Orange People that are offended by the name?

Is it the Michael Jackson Tribe of American Indians (you know the ones who should be Redskins but thier skin has become extremely lightened over time for some unexplained reason making them Orangemen). <_<

As a member of the Cherokee nation I find it offensive that someone would use political correctness to complain about Syracuse's nickname, that kind of pissing and moaning is supposed to be reserved (no pun intended) for us. :D

During the late 1600's, in the area known now as central and upstate New York, there were apparently a number of wells that were either contaminated or contained groundwater that had a high, but not toxic mineral content. As a result, many of the residents whose mothers drank the water during pregnancy, took on an orange skin color. Most of the "orangemen" as they were called, died young in life - many didn't live much past 30. Apparently the water quality improved over time (or people stopped using the bad wells) and thus the condition eventually stopped manifesting itself in the orangeman offspring. Someone involved with Syracuse must have named their athletic teams in honor of these people, a number of whose descendants were Revolutionary War heroes.

I doubt the name change was a PC thing as much as it was a consistancy thing.

"Orangewomen" sounds goofy to me, as does calling the ladies "Organgemen"... I don't know if I like the nickname "Orange" (though calling Stanford the "Cardinal" has grown on me), but it makes sense from a brand consistancy standpoint.

Remember, kiddies, the SU stands for SUCKS... as in "this logo sucks."

It's not even interlocking! It's an S above a U and it looks more like SJ than SU. Dumb.

At least we know they'll be piping on their football jerseys. Shew!

Is it the Michael Jackson Tribe of American Indians (you know the ones who should be Redskins but thier skin has become extremely lightened over time for some unexplained reason making them Orangemen). <_<

As a member of the Cherokee nation I find it offensive that someone would use political correctness to complain about Syracuse's nickname, that kind of pissing and moaning is supposed to be reserved (no pun intended) for us.  :D

Orangemen are Protestant Irish.

In the late 1600's, the English king, James II, was determined to convert the country back to catholicism. As popular support grew for his protestant son-in-law, the Dutch born William, Prince of Orange, James fled England. He went to France and then to Ireland, where he was still the king until defeated by William at the Battle of the Boyne in 1690. The supporters of William, Prince of Orange, were known as Orangemen.

The sectarian violence in Northern Ireland is based on this event. The Orange Order and other protestant groups still celebrate their victory every year in Northern Ireland, generally by parading through catholic neighbourhoods.

That's why the name Orangemen is politically sensitive, though why it should be in the United States escapes me. I think most people associate the Syracuse Orangemen with the orange-headed mascot, thinking of the fruit, not the colour.

Incidentally, that's why there is orange in Ireland's flag (green representing the catholics), and why The Netherlands wears orange uniforms.

Well, at least it's better than the former school colors of Rose Pink and Pea Green that they had in the late 1800's...

:D

(seriously!)

Penn St. used to be Pink and Black back in the day.

(Jerseys when washed turned Navy and White, then adopted the colors)

What does that say about collegeboys of old??

WTF? Who could Orangemen possibly have offended? Hulk Hogan?

But can everyone stop crying PC-police? PC is simply the scapegoat for when teams want an excuse for changing their look without admitting it's about turning some quick dollars through merchandising (see: Washington Bullets).

Oh and they're the only school that has orange as an official color? I think Miami will have something to say about that...

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

As a member of the Cherokee nation I find it offensive that someone would use political correctness to complain about Syracuse's nickname, that kind of pissing and moaning is supposed to be reserved (no pun intended) for us. :D

Orangemen are Protestant Irish.

In the late 1600's, the English king, James II, was determined to convert the country back to catholicism. As popular support grew for his protestant son-in-law, the Dutch born William, Prince of Orange, James fled England. He went to France and then to Ireland, where he was still the king until defeated by William at the Battle of the Boyne in 1690. The supporters of William, Prince of Orange, were known as Orangemen.

The sectarian violence in Northern Ireland is based on this event. The Orange Order and other protestant groups still celebrate their victory every year in Northern Ireland, generally by parading through catholic neighbourhoods.

That's why the name Orangemen is politically sensitive, though why it should be in the United States escapes me. I think most people associate the Syracuse Orangemen with the orange-headed mascot, thinking of the fruit, not the colour.

Incidentally, that's why there is orange in Ireland's flag (green representing the catholics), and why The Netherlands wears orange uniforms.

Thanks for ruining my fun, Gordie.

My Orangemen story is a complete fabrication. Sounded good, though.

Thanks Gordie for explaining just what the Orangemen are, as at first reading this thread I thought I'd have to do it myself. The Irish flag works like this...

Green: Catholics

White: Peace

Orange: Protestants

If Syracuse has to change it's name to not offend Irish people, then there's this team over in Indiana that could use a change, as well...Just kidding...political correctness sucks my Irish...oranges.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Archived