BASEBALL ALL-TIME DRAFT: Discussion Thread (PLEASE LOCK)

Dexter Morgan

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next 10 picks.

Pittsburgh Crawfords (infrared41)

Detroit Stars (YessSir32)

Tampa Bay Devil Rays (Lights Out)

New York Mets (NJTank)

Chicago Cubs (Billy B )

Modesto Nuts (nash61)

Los Angeles Dodgers (knnhrvy16)

Los Angeles Dodgers (knnhrvy16)

Modesto Nuts (nash61)

Chicago Cubs (Billy B )

Damn. I was sure CC would drop at least another round.

He was my lefty target after all the other good ones were taken. Once Glavine went off the board he went to #1. When I drafted Martinez, I needed to firmly establish the staff with a salty vet. I've been impressed by CC since he came here. A modern pitcher going old school on THREE days rest. I couldn't pass this one up again. I'd be kicking myself. At least you REALLY have him now.

packchampionslfroh.png

There are so many players out there that when someone picks a player, sometimes I think, "Oh heck, I forgot about him!"

I still have somone in my top 50 on my big board still out there, and three in my top 75 and they are there mainly because of the career stats being deceiving factor.

If your just looking at career numbers you are going to miss people. The guy I drafted is one of them I feel as well.

Bob Lemon has 200 wins and a 3.23 career ERA. Doesen't seem like much on paper. When you look at his career though, you'll find that he won 20+ games seven times, led the AL in wins three times, innings pitched four times, top ten in ERA 6 times, top ten in WHIP five times, was one of the best defensive pitchers in baseball, was a seven time all-star and finished top ten in the MVP voting six times.

He only pitched essentially 12 and a half years, and I wouldn't put him in the top 20, but it also gets into the name question. Is a name guy like Sandy Koufax really that much better then him? Most would say Koufax hands down, but if you put their accomplishments side by side against each other, your not going to find a huge difference between the two.

My pick is in. Add Catfish Hunter to my starting rotation.

This pick was based almost entirely on sentiment. Catfish was one of my favorite players when I was a kid. In fact, there's a McFarlane Catfish pitching to a McFarlane Hank Aaron on my memorabilia shelf as I write this.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

My pick is in. Add Catfish Hunter to my starting rotation.

This pick was based almost entirely on sentiment. Catfish was one of my favorite players when I was a kid. In fact, there's a McFarlane Catfish pitching to a McFarlane Hank Aaron on my memorabilia shelf as I write this.

Hopefully Aaron gets the best of that exchange ha!

packchampionslfroh.png

There are so many players out there that when someone picks a player, sometimes I think, "Oh heck, I forgot about him!"

Tell me about it. In all the excitement I forgot all about Dave Winfield. If I had remembered he was there, I would have grabbed him two or three rounds ago. He simply never occurred to me. I was so caught up in "finding" players that an "obvious" one was never on my radar.

BB52Big.jpg

I can't believe Larry Walker fell this far.

See what I wrote about Winfield? Apply the same thing to Walker. You've made some really nice picks these past few rounds by the way. Nice team you've got going so far.

BB52Big.jpg

No analysis on my picks :(, I thought that they were good, grabbed a Workhorse pitcher and a great defensive outfielder.

The fact that you're even asking leads me to believe that you made the picks just to see what people would say about them. My analysis? You picked a pitcher from 1889. Half the players weren't even using gloves back then. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see I pitcher from the 19th century being a great pitcher in the 20th century. I don't know a thing about the other guy. Happy now?

Bio of Jimmy Sheckland

To be honest, the first thing I saw when you picked him was that I know 3 players from the Cubs' World Series teams and he isn't one of them.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Thanks! I've really tried to find those hidden gems from the '80s and '90s that people are forgetting.

Doing the same thing but with alot earlier eras.

By the way is there any requirement involved for outfield positions, or if you qualify for one of them, you qualify for all?

Thanks! I've really tried to find those hidden gems from the '80s and '90s that people are forgetting.

Doing the same thing but with alot earlier eras.

By the way is there any requirement involved for outfield positions, or if you qualify for one of them, you qualify for all?

no requirments for the OF position. CF is obviously a different story, you can't put a LF as youR CF, but you can put a CF as your OF.

Archived