HS student can't play because he was in Army

mjrbaseball

Cadet football player out for opener

An Illinois school football player will not be allowed to play in his team's season-opener because he will miss too many practices while attending basic training for the U.S. Army National Guard.

The Illinois High School Association denied Paxton-Buckley-Loda High School senior Eddie Nuss a waiver to play in his team's opener on Aug. 26 due to concerns over his safety because he will not be able to attend the mandated 12 preseason practices. Nuss has been in military training in Fort Benning, Ga., since June and is expected to return home on Aug. 18.

(Full story at ESPNChicago.com.)

CK3ZP8E.jpg

He'll be able to play later. He just needs to practice 12 times. I think this is the right call. It sucks for him but it would have been the same if he got hurt and couldn't practice for a period of time.

This has nothing to do with the difficulty of either boot camp or two-a-days. I'm sure he's in the best shape of his team but it doesn't change the fact that he might not have been tackled, or knows the playbook properly.

On a side note, this is the area I played hs football and baseball. Played both these teams thoughout high school.

Awesome to see common sense isn't used anymore. Love it.

Including in your posts.

They want to make sure that everyone on the field has at least been trained in the rules of the game so that everything goes (relatively) smoothly, and that the un-trained player doesn't hurt either himself or others. In the absence of a formal individual review or waiver process, they've obviously decided that the 12 practice thing is the way to do that. I fail to see the argument against this, unless he's played before and the state has a provision for a case-by-case review.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Also every year in Illinois there is a mandated "tackle instruction" where the coaches take time to teach everyone the proper tackling techniques regardless of position or how long you've played. It is extremely important to get some practice time to get your muscle memory back so don't tackle with your head down at game speed.

If he had been out for any other reason than boot camp, including any physical work out camp, nobody would care.

This kid should be praised for his service and giving up his summer vacation to serve his country. It's unfortunate the time couldn't work out for him.

A kid on our team also did this (boot camp) and I believe he had to sit out as well. There were always vacations or other things like injuries that caused players to sit the first game for this rule.

Whether or not he plays, I really don't care.

This only thing that I read that pissed me off was this quote.

"When you hear about a helicopter crash and losing so many men in one incident, then you have a high school man who wants to do his part, I think we're penalizing him. I think we have to make allowances"

Your really trying to equate soliders losing their lives in combat to whether or not a kid has to sit out a game of high school football as somehow being equal issues? Give me a break.

It's not like the kid is losing a whole season. It's one friggin' game. Boo hoo. There are worse things in life than a kid missing a football game because he did not participate in enough practices to qualify because he made a choice to do something else. When you make choices, there are results to those choices whether you like them or not.

Archived