Did the devil rays ever wear this cap

uuh70

Does anyone know if the Devil Rays ever wore this cap. I dont remember ever seeing them in these but then again the only time i would see the Devil Rays in 1999-2000 would have been on sportcenter since there was no mlb network back then

d-rays.alt2.2000_t.jpg

Clippers.gif
UCLA.gif

Interesting, I actually own this hat. It's an adjustable one that I bought at the Metrodome in 1997 and I always assumed they wore it at some point, but it looks like maybe not?

They sell Tampa Bay gear at the metrodome? that's weird.

And in 1997 the Devil Rays didn't exist yet. I'm guessing that either they unveiled logos far in advance or that you are mistaken with the year.

anyway, that hat is sick!

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Interesting, I actually own this hat. It's an adjustable one that I bought at the Metrodome in 1997 and I always assumed they wore it at some point, but it looks like maybe not?

And in 1997 the Devil Rays didn't exist yet. I'm guessing that either they unveiled logos far in advance or that you are mistaken with the year.

Ha, yeah, it was definitely 1997, I guess that was back in the time when stadiums sold gear from other teams (most places I've been to since don't). There is a picture of 11 year old me wearing that hat at a Twins/Yankees game in 1997 somewhere. I'm sure they just got the basic concept out ASAP to try to maximize sales.

Ha, yeah, it was definitely 1997, I guess that was back in the time when stadiums sold gear from other teams (most places I've been to since don't). There is a picture of 11 year old me wearing that hat at a Twins/Yankees game in 1997 somewhere. I'm sure they just got the basic concept out ASAP to try to maximize sales.

I was in Wisconsin and not going to Twins games in 1997, but I know they sold other teams' stuff in the 1980s. I bought a mesh blue jays cap once and an orange replica orioles jersey.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

In 1997, the then Devil Rays released the logo and three caps that were to part of the uniform which was going to be released later. The three caps were the one pictured which they wore in 1998 & 1999 and an all black version which survived as an alternate cap for another year. The third cap (which I own) is a purple crown with a black bill that was supposed to be the home cap but replaced with the black "TB" cap before the 1998 season started.

In 1997, the then Devil Rays released the logo and three caps that were to part of the uniform which was going to be released later. The three caps were the one pictured which they wore in 1998 & 1999 and an all black version which survived as an alternate cap for another year. The third cap (which I own) is a purple crown with a black bill that was supposed to be the home cap but replaced with the black "TB" cap before the 1998 season started.

This is correct, except the replacement TB cap was actually the game hat for 1998-2000, not just the home hat. The hat above I believe was supposed to be the original home hat and the third hat was scrapped, but would have been an alt. The two hats with the Devil Ray on them (known as the "blob" hats) were worn very very sparingly and one was used in the Rays 2009 throwback game where they wore their 1999 uniforms. I'm not even sure both were used because I believe the one used for the throwback game may have been the one that had never been used. The purple crown hat never was used in a game, of course, because the TB hat replaced it.

I own the hat too, funny thing is I bought it in 1997 at Veteran's Stadium. The Vet used to have a stand that had a store for all the teams. I thought it was really cool having a hat from a team that wasn't around yet. When I was a kid my dad bought me a hat for seemingly every team.

21dh5qp.png

Didn't the Devil Rays unveil their name and/or logo in 1995? I remember it being around for years before they actually played a game

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Didn't the Devil Rays unveil their name and/or logo in 1995? I remember it being around for years before they actually played a game

I believe you're right. I remeber having a D-Rays shirt that I wore as a kid back in 1996. I even think there was a team in my little league that was the D-Rays.

I know they did very rarely wear a cap with that logo, but not sure if it was a purple or black visor.

July 21, 1999

miguelcairo072199.jpg

August 11, 1999

wadeboggs081199.jpg

March 9, 1995

vincenaimoli0309952.jpg

vincenaimoli0309951.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Archived